2004 Jeep Liberty seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Jeep Liberty:

2004 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 122016

Liberty

The contact owned a 2004 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while driving at 50 mph, the contact was fatigued and possibly fell asleep. As a result, the contact crashed into a cement barrier. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed. The contact sustained a severed tongue that required medical attention. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 176,000. Updated 05/24/16

- New Britain, CT, USA

Nov 042015

Liberty

The contact owned a 2004 Jeep Liberty. While driving approximately 65 mph, the front end of the vehicle shook. The axle fractured and the vehicle crashed into the retaining wall. The vehicle spun counter clockwise and the rear passenger side tire detached from the vehicle. The vehicle stopped spinning and faced oncoming traffic. The vehicle was unable to be moved. The air bags failed to deploy. There were no warning lights illuminated. The contact received head injuries and the contact's children who were in the back seat of the vehicle received facial, arm, back, head, and eye injuries. Medical attention was received. The vehicle was destroyed, but not towed. A police report was filed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 156,280.....updated 01/13/16

- Wooster, OH, USA

Aug 012014

Liberty

August 1, 2015 the left rear passenger window dropped and the rear of the vehicle. In the same month my Jeep started to slightly fishtail as if driving in very strong/ high winds. Lastly on November 28, 2015 the passenger air bag sign is showing " passenger airbag off" when it was never a illuminated before.

- Slidell, LA, USA

Sep 272015

Liberty

I was in accident on Sept 27 and the airbag did not deploy until the vehicle stopped it took about 5mins after accident then there was a smell like rubber and it just went poof didn't make contact with my face or body. Stationary on hwy 89 and was fired from my job for not being able to start the next day. I am left handed and was not able to contact ya'll thank you

- West Salem, OH, USA

Dec 202013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the air bag warning light remained lit for several months as the failure progressed. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure). The dealer stated that the part would not be available within a reasonable time frame. The dealer did not indicate when the part would become available and the contact had been waiting for years to receive the repair. The manufacturer could not provide an estimated date for when the vehicle would receive the recall repair. The failure mileage was unknown. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Oct 022015

Liberty

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while driving at 40 mph, the rear passenger side of the vehicle veered to the right. As a result, the contact crashed into an embankment. The air bags did not deploy. The contact sustained mild injuries to his left waist, but did not seek medical treatment. A police report was filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V085000 (suspension). The failure mileage was 117,000.

- Newark, DE, USA

Nov 152014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Liberty. While driving at an unknown speed, there was a burning odor inside the vehicle. In addition, the contact stated that the passenger side air bag warning light illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. The VIN was unavailable.

- Brooklyn Park/ Minneapolis, MN, USA

Jan 172015

Liberty 6-cyl

I was recently in an accident where a truck driving erratically slammed on their brakes causing a 3 car pile up, in which I was caused to rear end the vehicle in front of me at about 35 miles per hour. The airbags failed to deploy causing my face/head / chest to hit the steering wheel also causing severe neck pain and other injury. I would like to know how to purse the manufacturer for the defect. There is no reported accidents or airbag deployment to the vehicle.

- Colorado Springs , CO, USA

Mar 042014

Liberty 6-cyl

Slid on ice slammed into bank hard, flipped around slid on side of the car. The car, flipped back around and slid on the other side then back up on the wheels. The airbags did not deploy when I slammed into the bank. But I have the bruises where the seat belts worked.

- Jasonville, IN, USA

Nov 052013

Liberty 6-cyl

My Jeep airbag failed after vehicle crashed into a bush and rolled 60-80 feet down an embankment after hitting an animal on an icy road.. my concern is that I was not notified by my dealer (taylor & sons, ponderay Idaho) or by Chrysler regarding any safety recalls until after the crash. I found out about recalls after my insurance agent gave me a list of recalls recently.

- Ponderay, ID, USA

Jan 092013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 12V527000 (air bags) one year ago and stated that the reasonable time for repair had surpassed. Both the dealer and the manufacture were notified. The dealer was unable to provide a time for when the part would become available. The contact stated that the air bag and seat belt lights were both illuminated.

- Sikeston, MO, USA

Oct 192013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph and attempting to avoid striking a bear, the vehicle flipped over and crashed into a ditch. The air bags failed to deploy. The driver sustained lacerations to the head, which required three staples. The front passenger sustained a concussion and back injuries. A police report was filed of the incident and the vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 134,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Conway, MA, USA

Jun 152013

Liberty 6-cyl

My daughter was recently involved in a head on collision with a telephone pole upon making a turn at about 35mph. Thank god she is okay, but her car, a 2004 Jeep Liberty 4D 4X4 ltd was totaled. The airbags did not deploy in the accident and I wanted to report this failure.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Jun 202013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that she received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number 12V527000 (air bags) several months ago and the dealer stated that the parts were not available for repair. The manufacturer was notified. The contact had not experienced a failure. The VIN was not available.

- Lisle, IL, USA

Feb 252013

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while stopped due to a traffic back-up on the ramp at the I-271/I-480 interchange, the vehicle was crashed into the rear by another vehicle (GMC SUV) driving approximately 48 mph. The air bags failed to deploy. The rear of the contact's vehicle instantly became engulfed in flames. The contact's mouth struck the steering wheel and his upper face was thrown into the windshield. The contact sustained injuries to the face, loss of his upper teeth, a fractured cheekbone and nose. The contact also sustained burns to the left hand, wrist, upper forehead, left eye and ear, right ankle and the left knee. The contact also sustained a concussion. He was transported to a local hospital for treatment. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was destroyed. The approximate failure mileage was 152,000. LH.....updated 10/30/13. Updated 11/5/2013

- Twinsburg, OH, USA

Dec 052012

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The airbags did not deploy during a car crash. I was involved in a accident 5 Dec 2012. I managed to avoid a bigger crash by swerving but my Jeep lost control when the tires on the passenger side blew out due to the impact of the crash and rolled into a fence. My front air bags never went off. Shouldn't they have" I've since found out there was a recall, but I did not own the car at the time. Do I have a claim"

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

May 162012

Liberty 6-cyl

I was stopped in line with three cars in front of me waiting to turn in to take my granddaughter to school. All of a sudden, I was hit from behind. My Jeep Liberty 2004 was forcefully pushed into a car in front of me. My front end was crushed. My airbags never deployed with the forceful impact.

- Rainbow City, AL, USA

Feb 212011

Liberty 6-cyl

On February 21st 2012 I was driving to work. I lost complete control of my vehicle and went down a steep ditch and crashed into a tree. My air bag did not deploy. My vehicle was declared a total loss. Now I have received a recall, saying a control arm could break and cause loss of vehicle control and cause a crash.

- Cornell, WI, USA

Sep 302011

Liberty

Was rear ended by a driver going at least 55. Airbags did not deploy. Hit the steering wheel pretty hard.

- Largo, FL, USA

Feb 212011

Liberty 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Liberty. While driving approximately 30 mph in snow and icy weather, the vehicle began to slide and the contact was unable to control the vehicle. The contact drove over an embankment and crashed into a tree. The contact sustained injuries to the left leg, knee, left shoulder and right breast. A passenger sustained injuries to the neck and stomach. The air bags did not deploy. A police report was filed. The entire front end of the vehicle was moderately damaged. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 65,000. Updated 03/29/11

- Cumberland, MD, USA