8.1

1. replaced window regulator (32 reports)
  2. make a recall! (18 reports)
  4. keep replacing them (17 reports)
  5. fixed window regulator (11 reports)
  6. bolt window in up position-better than tape (5 reports)
2004 Jeep Liberty windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Jeep Liberty:

2004 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 6 of 6)

Jul 132009

Liberty

This is at least the sixth time I have come out to find that one of my windows has fallen down. The vehicle cannot be secured so if you are away from home you have to stop everything you are doing and return home immediately. It is difficult to drive on the freeway with the window down. If you take side roads you have an open window, sometimes during the evening, which I do not feel is a safe way to travel. Then you have to take time off to take it in to the dealer and more time off to pick it up. I am charged up to $500 to repair the window. Originally when I bought the vehicle it was covered by warranty and they seem to think this some how makes it okay. I talked to a Chrysler Jeep representative and he was not the least bit sympathetic. He said not all the windows break but refused to discuss how common this problem is or what the probability of the replacement part breaking was. I could not get confirmation that any new part was not also defective, that they'd redesigned it, found a new manufacturer or any other reassurance that it was actually "fixed". I am frustrated and will never purchase another Jeep.

- , Avondale, AZ, USA

Feb 012009

Liberty Sport V6

Fixed 3 window regulators one on own car other on kids friends - Bad design

- , Acworth, GA, USA

Jul 202009

Liberty Limited

I was driving down the highway and noticed that my window just slid right down. It wouldn't roll up, so I took it to a car repair store and come to find that the window regulator is broken and in order to repair it the cost is going to be roughly $500.00. I have seen MANY MANY complaints on this issue. Chrysler, PLEASE recall this part. As of now I will NEVER buy another Chrysler car again.

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Jul 052009

Liberty Sport

I have owned this vehicle for 4 years and this is the 5th time the plastic piece of crap motors have failed. $400 for a new piece of plastic. No wonder Chrysler/Jeep went belly up!

- , Sahuarita, Az, USA

Jul 012009

Liberty Limited 3.2L V6

Same as others. After 33000 miles, the passenger side rear window dropped 1/3 of the way down for no reason. In the 4 years I've had the car, I bet I've rolled up/down that window 10 x at the most. When I attempted to roll it up using the switch, there was a grind and then the window shattered into a 1000 pieces - most inside the door frame. I will take it to the closest dealer when I locate one that stocks the window and that will probably require a 100 mi drive each way. This type of failure should be fixed free by Jeep for everyone via a "recall".

- , Alamogordo, NM, USA

Jun 242009

Liberty Limited 3.2L

This is the fifth time!!! I refuse to pay another dime to Jeep for this same problem. I will weld glue the mother instead!

- , Houston, TX, USA

Jun 202009

Liberty Limited 3.7L

OK...SO I WENT TO THE CAR LOT AND DECIDED TO GET A JEEP FOR THE EXTRA SPACE. I PAID MONTHLY PAYMENTS FOR THE FIRST 5 MONTHS TO SEE IF I LIKED THE VECHILE. WHEN I FOUND OUT THAT I DID I WENT AHEAD AND PAID CAR OFF IN FULL. NOT EVEN 5 DAYS LATER REAR PASSENGER WINDOW ON DRIVERS SIDE JUST FALL DOWN INTO THE DOOR AS I'M DRIVING....WTF?? COME TO FIND OUT THE REGULATOR HAS GONE OUT AND THIS IS A CONSTANT PROBLEM!!! WHY HASN'T THE MAKERS DID ANYTHING ABOUT IT??

- , Spring, TX, USA

Jun 012009

Liberty LTD 3.7L

Instead of taping up window you can bolt window in up position. I had three rear window failures and got tired of paying for new regulator assemblies. Open up the inside door panel to access window that slid down track. Push window to up position. Tape in place temporarily. There are some holes in the frame that you can put a 3" bolt in to hold up bottom of window. You need to two bolts and four nuts. I used SS steel, 1/4"x3" long. One nut on the inside of the frame, one on the outside. Place and tighten by hand to wedge in place. It is not easy to do. My hands are large (6ft,260 here) and got cut up in the process, but it was worth it. My rear windows are both locked in the up position. Be careful putting all back in place when you close the panel. Also when you hook up the levers for the door opening mechanisms, it defaults back to child lock on, so you have to disengage that function so your rear doors will open. Good luck.

- , Pearl City, HI, USA

Mar 112009

Liberty Sport V6

So, I have a 2004 Jeep Liberty sport. Bought it new from the dealer in the city I lived in at the time. About 2 months ago, the left side rear window stopped raising or lowering (Well, it actually lowered, on it's own). The dealer wants 450 dollars to fix it. They said that since I had more than the 36k miles that cover bumper-to-bumper, the problem could not be fixed under warranty. Now, as I read the complaints on the site, I start to wonder what is up with Jeep/Chrysler that they think they can treat their customers like this? Lousy quality, lousy service, and horrifically high pricing... Ridiculous. I won't buy another Jeep product.

- , San Jose, CA, USA

Jan 282009

Liberty Limited 3.2L

I bought my Jeep from someone I work for a year ago. Within months the rear window fell down and it cost me about $400 to have it fixed. Today the passenger window fell down! I think this is ridiculous for a vehicle that is only five years old to have two motors to fail on the same vehicle. I am the only one who drives and rides in this car and rarely opens the windows as I live in Florida and usually use the A/C. There should be a recall for this problem!

Update from Nov 6, 2014: 2014 - Since my first complaint, three more windows had fallen and Chrysler did replace them for a $50 co pay when I was living in Florida. I have moved back to GA and this year the window that had fallen first has fallen again. Making the count five fallen windows. I paid to have it replaced for about $275.

- , Cape Coral, FL, USA

Apr 242008

Liberty 3.7L V6

I got my 2004 Liberty brand new. Last year the back driver window motor went out exactly like the previous cmoplaint. The dealer said it was typical, yet not under warranty or recalled. Cost from one dealer $450. April 3, 2008 the driver window did the same thing cost $494, different Chrysler dealer. The part cost $303.

Just last week, April 24, 2008, the passenger window did the same. We went to an auto glass co brought the part from the same dealer who charged $303 and paid $170 and the cost to get the auto glass co charged for labor was $85 to replace a plastic regulator. I love my Jeep but it is a gas gussler. Next year I will sell it for a hybrid. Chrysler has no hybrids in the near future.

- , Tucson, AZ, USA

Feb 062008

Liberty Limited 3.2L

2004 Liberty POWER WINDOWS FAIL / Fall into door! Second time! First failure was left rear...maybe only used 10 times in 3 years yet one day BOINK! it failed. Dealer charges $500 to replace. 7 months later Drivers side Fails too! This i time I took it apart and found that a nylon bracket at the bottom of the door which has teeth on it has stripped out. Can't buy JUST the nylon part (SCAM) Jeep wants $250 for the part alone. This needs a recall Obviously a design prob. My car is babied! Call and complain to your local dealer!

- , Phoenix, AZ, USA

Aug 142007

Liberty Limiter V6

I have had my 2004 Jeep Liberty for 3 years. In that time, I have had to replace the left rear window regulator three times, and the right rear window regulator twice. On average, the left side regulator has had a working life of one year, and the right, an average of 18 months.

They have failed w/out warning, and when my vehicle has been parked with valuables locked inside. I've come out to my car to find the rear window completely down, allowing anyone access. Once, it had just started to rain, and items inside were getting wet.

I am now at 5 times in the shop, at 60K miles, w/ the same problem! The second time I brought my vehicle in, the tech made a comment that it seemed to be a common problem w/ the Liberty rear windows. Another Liberty owner was coming in right behind me that morning... w/ the same problem!

I can't imagine this happening while parked in long term, outdoor parking at the airport. Or while you are at the movies... or when you are picking up clients. It just seems like too much coincidence for this to happen this many times to one vehicle!

I am the only driver of this vehicle... I don't even touch the electric buttons for the rear windowns in fear of that horrible cracking sound when the regulator fails. And, insult to injury... it prevents you from opening the door! If you want to cover the exposed open window w/ cardboard or other protection, you have to crawl in from the other side. Just what you need after a long day... and it's 114 degrees here in Phoenix!

This is ridiculous!