2005 Jeep Liberty fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Jeep Liberty:

2005 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 3 of 9)

Feb 162015

Liberty 6-cyl

At approx 8:00 on the morning of 2/16/15 my 2005 Jeep Liberty, 3.8L V-6 with automatic transmission began to accelerate out of control while braking for a stop sign. The engine was cold, I had just started it and the temperature was in the mid to upper 50S. I was traveling about 27 mph, and began to slow for the stop. At about 10-15 mph, I noticed the car was no longer slowing down. It seemed as though the brakes stopped working. At the same time, the engine briefly revved on its own. This made the car accelerate. I could not stop at the stop sign and the car accelerated into 50 mph cross traffic. I made a hard right turn to bring the car next to the curb, allowing room for traffic to go by. At the same time, I put the transmission into neutral and that allowed the car to stop. I then put the car into park and revved the engine. It seemed to respond normally at that point (engine would return to idle immediately after taking my foot off the gas). After shifting between part to drive, then reverse, etc. Several times, it still seemed to work normally so I continued to work with no further problems. It seemed as though while coming to a stop, the transmission did not down shift or disengage. As the engine rpms were reduced below idle due to the car slowing, the computer control system tried to bring the engine speed back up, causing it to accelerate. A couple of facts - the car has approx. 159,800 miles on the odometer. I purchased it used a few months ago and have put 13,000 miles on it. When I purchased it I had it examined by a mechanic and had all the hoses, belts, etc. Replaced. I've had the oil changed at about 5,000 mile intervals. I drive with one foot only, I don't use separate feet for the gas and the brake. The floor mat was not moved before or after this incident, and is not close to the gas pedal. Check engine light did not come on.

- Mission Viejo, CA, USA

May 012014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system) was received in may of 2014. After contacting the dealer and the manufacturer on multiple occasions, the contact was informed that the parts needed to repair the vehicle were still not available. No estimated timeframe for receiving the parts could be given. The VIN was not available. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Canifield, OH, USA

Jan 132014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The VIN was unavailable. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Glenville, TN, USA

Feb 032015

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

My son took his 2005 Jeep Liberty in for the recall where they are supposed to install a trailer hitch to prevent the gas tank from rupturing during a rear end collision. They told him his frame had too much rust on it and that they could not put on the hitch. It is a NY car and he now lives in Arkansas. It is in normal condition for a 10 year old car driven year around in upstate NY. I am sure that they have not see as much rust on vehicles in Arkansas so I think they are antsy about any rust at all. Or, they are looking for any excuse not to do the repair. The amount of rust just speaks to the original design/manufacturing quality if anything. It been over 2.5 years since the recall was first announced and over a year to the point that they had enough hitches. He's been trying to get in for repair the last 6 months. I'm sure 3 years ago there was less rust on the frame but it has taken this long to get it in. Is Jeep off the hook because of rust" shouldn't Jeep be required to fix the problem on all vehicles that are still on the road? shouldn't they have another fix in place for Jeep that can't accept the "hitch" fix? it appears from what I have read that Jeep purposely delayed the recall so there were fewer vehicles left on the road and now they get to make the call when there is too much rust. How am I supposed to feel that my son is safe if Jeep is allowed to say "pass" on repairing his vehicle. Who allowed Jeep to decide if a vehicle gets the fix or not. Why was Jeep allowed to have a fix that can't work on all vehicles still on the road? I have read there have been additional Jeep fires and deaths just in the last 6 months and Jeep still has the ability to refuse to fix some vehicles. How is Jeep being held responsible for these deaths? what options does he have" please let me know what steps I need to take to have his Jeep fixed correctly......updated 05/14/15

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jul 012014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure) exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The dealer stated that the part was not available. The manufacturer was not made aware of the delay. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Troy , NY, USA

Dec 312013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure) however, the part to do the recall was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Scotland, PR, USA

Jan 212015

Liberty

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure) and 12V527000 (air bags) however, the parts needed to do the repair were not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Sep 052014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure) however, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

Jan 132015

Liberty

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure). The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician stated that the vehicle was incapable of supporting the proper installation of a hitch due to deterioration near the hitch attachment point. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 83,000.

- Beech Mountain, NC, USA

Feb 052014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure); however, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 102,000.

- Broussard , LA, USA

Dec 032014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure); however, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Cornelius, NC, USA

Oct 222014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign id numbers: 12V085000 (suspension) and 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure). The contact stated that the parts were not available for several months. The dealer did not give a specific date for when the parts would become available. The manufacturer was notified of the delay. The contact did not experience a failure.

- Vinton, VA, USA

Dec 152014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure) and stated that the part needed was unavailable to repair the vehicle. The dealer was unable to inform when the part would become available. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- St. Nazianz, WI, USA

Sep 082014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V25200 (structure, gasoline and fuel propulsion system) and stated that the parts were not available. The dealer was unable to provide a specific date when the parts would become available. The manufacturer was contacted and could not provide an estimated date for when the vehicle would receive the recall repairs. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Nov 292005

Liberty 6-cyl

When fuelling my Liberty, the fuel wont stop pumping until its all down the side of my car and on the ground.

- Gainesville, GA, USA

Jun 192014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure) had exceeded a reasonable amount of time for repair. The dealer stated the parts were not available for repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the delay. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact had not experienced the failure.

- Saco, ME, USA

Nov 222014

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Typically, when refueling, upon reaching the full level with the fuel pump nozzle in the auto shutoff position the pump nozzle will shut off but gasoline will continue to flow and spew out of the fill tube, down the side of the car, onto the ground and onto me. I've learned to manually stop adding fuel prior to the full level to avoid the risks this situation presents. On 11/22/2014 with the fuel tank nearly empty I attempted to refuel with fuel nozzle in auto position for the initial fill period. After adding approximately 2 gallons gasoline began spewing out. To stop the flow I had to grab the nozzle and disengage the lever manually and in the process soaked my hand, arm and lower leg with gasoline. I attempted to begin refueling again with an identical out come. I moved to a different pump station and twice attempted to fill by manually operating the nozzle lever. Gasoline poured and spewed out both times. After having added just 5 gallons total I stopped attempting to add fuel. I am now in the process of finding service/repair before driving the vehicle again as I don't believe it is safe to add fuel in current condition.

- Whitehall, MI, USA

Sep 022013

Liberty

I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty sport I noticed couple years ago that every time I fill the gas tank up it does not shut the gas nozzle off and always back flows out and runs down the side of my Jeep. I thought the gas station issues until try multiples gas stations.

- Opelika, AL, USA

Apr 052014

Liberty

I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty that every time I fill the gas tank up it does not shut the gas nozzle off and always back flows out and runs down the side of my Jeep.

- Clio, MI, USA