2005 Jeep Liberty fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Jeep Liberty:

2005 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 1 of 9)

Jan 012015

Liberty

I have called and contacted Jeep hot line at 18774265337 but no luck. Fuel overflows from filler after auto-shutoff of pump occurs. Occurs every time fueling operations occurs regardless of fuel station. Numerous complaints issue but no service bulletins or recalls. Potential fire hazard.

- Opelika, AL, USA

Sep 142016

Liberty

My gas overflow every time I fill up my tank. This has been happening for a few years and I contacted Jeep and was told they would not do anything. This is a safety hazard and could cause a fire and something should be done I have spoken to several Jeep owners with this model and they are having the same problem.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 282016

Liberty

NHTSA recall number 13V-252. Chrysler/Jeep has never contacted me in reference to this recall. Which seems to be very serious since it appears passengers in my vehicle and myself could be killed due to this defect. Another example of Jeep not caring about their customers. Once they get their money they don't know you. I am the only owner of the vehicle and I have not moved so there is no excuse for not contacting me. I am sure they will lie and say they did. If they had I would have had the work done since it involves life and death. All about the bottom line and not caring about people. I would prefer they send me the materials to repair the problem and I will have my mechanic take care of the issue. When I had Jeep repair a defective window regulator now that door does not work. I want it done right so have them send me the parts needed to: 115 avenue C, sch. Haven, pa 17972.

- Sch. Haven, PA, USA

Aug 312015

- Green Cove Springs, FL, USA

Aug 212016

- Sch. Haven, PA, USA

May 122016

Liberty

Fuel overflows gas tank every time vehicle is filled with fuel

- Billings, MT, USA

Dec 202013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 12V085000 (suspension) and 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline and structure). The parts to do the recall repair were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- West Minister, CO, USA

Apr 162016

Liberty

Every time the gas tank is filled, gasoline overflows before the automatic fueling nozzle shutoff activates. Fuel runs down the side of the vehicle and onto the ground.

- Billings, MT, USA

Oct 132015

Liberty

While dispensing fuel into the vehicle at a filling station the fuel gushes from the fill port prior to the tank being full. The fuel continues to come out for a few second after the fuel dispensing is stopped. This is completely un safe, wasteful and creates an emissions issue at every fill up.

- Jasper, IN, USA

Sep 012014

Liberty

My Jeep has been on a waiting list for a year now for the fuel tank recall every time I call the dealership they say call us back in a couple months to see where we are on the list I don't feel it should take this long to be fixed

- Bellefonte, PA, USA

Jan 012005

Liberty

Mfg seems unable to provide parts for recognized recall to my established Jeep dealer to install trailer hitch to provide additional mechanical protection for fuel tank.

- Durham, NC, USA

Mar 102015

Liberty

We received the notice about the gas/fuel tank potential to catch fire, we took our vehicle to the dealer. The dealer explained that we have too much corrosion on our vehicle to be repaired. The cost to repair exceeds the value of the vehicle, currently we are still driving with a vehicle that may catch fire. We contacted Chrysler as we still are paying off the vehicle, we where given the run around until finally one associate told us simply, they will not help you. Prior to this recall notice we have constantly had issues when filling up with gas and the gas would leak out in large quantities instead of shutting off. We replaced the oil pan recently after it rusted out, we are about to replace to transmission fluid pan as that is about to rust out, the transmission lines are also rusting and corroded. Our Jeep may be an 05 but it looks as if its brand new rolling off the line, we take care of our vehicle. We are informed consumers and know there is a recall for Chrysler failing to fix the fuel tank explosion issues, when we looked up the VIN for our vehicle it was not showing that it is one of the one's being recalled. Our vehicle was not repaired and we should be included in this recall. We want to know if our vehicle will be included in the recall. We still have all the paperwork from visiting the dealer. When we took the vehicle up for the recall, the dealership told us that Jeep has issues with rust to begin with and that it is a known issue that has yet to be corrected.

- Mahanoy City, PA, USA

Oct 072015

Liberty

The car does not shut off fueling when the gas tank is full, causing a large amount of gas to spew out of the car when filling gas every time. Causes gasoline to go everywhere, is a fire hazard. (it is not just a little bit of gas, the car is turned off, at the gas pump and at the gas station.)

- Aurora, CO, USA

Aug 152015

Liberty

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. The contact received a notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure); however, the recall part was not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact had not experienced the failure.

- Portland, OR, USA

Jun 192013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure)exceeded a reasonable amount of time for repair. The vehicle was not repaired. The dealer stated that the parts were not available and that there was a two month wait list for the part. The manufacturer was made aware of the delay. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Montgomery , AL, USA

Jun 302005

Liberty

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. While refueling the vehicle, fuel began to spew out of the filler neck. The failure recurred on several occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who was unable to diagnose the failure. In addition, the contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure); however, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 300.

- Highland, IN, USA

Jun 012015

Liberty

When filling the gas tank the gas pump shuts off but the gas is already pouring out of the vehicle the vehicle doesn't shut off and it over fills the gas and it runs down the side of the vehicle. We bought this second hand and not sure if there was every a recall on it?

- Ballston Spa, NY, USA

Aug 252015

Liberty

I own a 2005 Jeep Liberty that has been recalled due to the fuel tank has a chance of experiencing a fuel leak during certain types of rear end collisions. I have returned the vehicle to the dealer and was told that Chrysler does not have to make the repairs due to the car having a reconstructed title. I am checking with your Agency to find out if that is the truth. I have had recall work done in the past without this issue arising.

- Chicopee, MA, USA

Aug 252012

Liberty

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the issue. The contact did not experience a failure.

- Madisonville, KY, USA

Apr 292010

Liberty

All Jeep Liberty 2005 - 2007 as far as I know. I have a 2005 and my daughter has a 2007. Gas spews out of the gas tank when gas pump shuts off when full. Everyone I know who has one of these vehicles has the same problem

- Blaine, WA, USA