2006 Jeep Liberty electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Liberty:

2006 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 4 of 6)

May 072011

Liberty

Key stuck in ignition. Steering wheel turns, shifter works, keys will not come out of ignition.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Mar 242011

Liberty 4-cyl

Over the past few months, I have occasionally smelled a kerosene odor while driving my Jeep Liberty diesel. Today, I read about a common problem with the fuel heater on the Liberty diesel and so I checked the heater on my vehicle. The plastic insulator around the electrical pins of the fuel heater connector (on cable) is discolored and partially melted. Doing further reading this evening, I discovered that this problem can also be a source of fuel seepage. Although I didn't see any evidence of fuel around the connector, this is obviously an electrical problem and may have been also been the source of the odor I have been smelling while driving. I feel fortunate to have discovered this in a pre-failure condition and have not (yet) experienced a serious fuel leak, engine fire or engine stoppage due to fuel system failure, I was disappointed to learn that your Agency was aware of this design problem back in 2007 (PE07041), but closed it with apparently no action taken. In my opinion, this condition certainly warrants a manufacturer's recall and repair. I have photos of the partially burned connector on my vehicle, should you be interested in seeing them. It is quite obvious that the electrical capacity of this connector is being exceeded and is a serious design flaw.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Feb 192011

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

2006 Jeep Liberty. Esp/bas lights. Problem does not register on computer. Hundreds of other people with same problem. Bas module is the problem. Why is there not a recall on this.

- Rockford, MI, USA

Liberty

At this first occurrence, while pulling out of the dealership parking lot with the vehicle, the front passenger side window dell into the door. I took it back and they informed me they would fix it free of charge. This same problem with the window falling down occurred in June 2010 about a year after purchase, affecting the right rear window, which had not even been used. I found out then that there was an ongoing problem with the window regulator in 2006 & 2007 Jeep Liberty causing this problem. The 3rd occurrence, with the left rear window in November of 2010, made me get online and file this report after carmax refused to honor their warranty on this repair and sent me to Jeep who charged 100 dollars for it. Checking the service history through Jeep.com, I found that this vehicle had been in the shop for this problem at least twice with the previous owner. I would like for the Chrysler company to take full responsibility for this and issue a recall, repairing the problem in a way that it stays fixed, rather than replacing the window regulator with more faulty parts as they have been doing. This can be very dangerous and distracting if it falls while travelling down the highway or, in my case, over 2 hours from home in freezing temperatures with a 7 month old baby in the seat by the window.

Sep 202010

Liberty

I have a 2006 Jeep Liberty that I purchased 6 mos ago with 25,000 miles. The back passenger window has stopped working. Still researching repair estimates.

- Albany, NY, USA

Aug 182010

Liberty

2006 Jeep Liberty will not shift out of park intermittently. After several attempts of applying service brake it comes out so far. Dealership wants $600 bucks to replace shift lever tower and shift cable. Others on line talk about same problem. Dealerships plead ignorance on the problem, but will gladly take $600 to replace the shift lever tower and !

- Howell, MI, USA

Aug 122010

Liberty

1. there are not events leading up to the failure. 2. the rear drivers side window regulator. It has broken 3 times in two years. The consequence is that during times of extreme heat or cold, the window will stay down posing a health risk (in cold weather-cold related illness and in hot weather-dehydration) as well as a safety risk (outside debris entering vehicle at high velocities) to the rear passenger. 3. the regulator has been replaced three times: Twice by dealership and once by myself. The old parts are not available.

- Nampa, ID, USA

Jul 272010

Liberty

In March 2009 I purchased a used 2006 Jeep Liberty and in August 2009 the driver side rear window stopped working just a loud clicking sound and then you can manual pull and push the window down. A new regulator/cable and window had to be installed. In March 2010 the same thing happened on the front drivers side window and the front passenger window. In July 2010 the rear driver side window stopped working again. Each time the windows stops working they need to replaced. Money out of my pocket, now my extended warranty is no longer in effect and the work that gets down only has a warranty for so long. There has to be a better fix then forking over $500+ each time a window stops working. It seems at this rate it's going to happened now every year. I am afraid to use the window at all. This needs to be addressed!!!!

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 222010

Liberty

Rear light/stop light lubs keep blowing up, I have to change them every 2-3 weeks. I looked on line and it seems that it's a problem for most owners.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jul 062010

Liberty

Unintended acceleration while at a stoplight. Had to turn of the motor to reset.

- Union Pier, MI, USA

Mar 102009

Liberty

2006 Jeep Liberty rear door won't open and glass slide down.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jun 042010

Liberty 4WD Diesel

My 2006 diesel Jeep Liberty crd 4X4 windows in the rear both stopped working. First one side quite rolling up and down and then on June 4th 2010 the left rear window wouldn't go up and made a loud roaring noise and clicking and my son got soaked from the rain and now it still won't roll up. Also, the esp and traction control light came on and is staying on.

- Campton, KY, USA

May 302009

Liberty

I have had my 2006 Jeep Liberty at the dealership 6 times in the 3 years I've owned it. I bought this car brand new and have had nothing but problems since. First the car would not come out of park, at the dealership they couldn't duplicate the problem and sent me on my way. After may months of this happening daily I had it towed on a flat bed to the dealership and they finally replaced a cable that connected the gear shift to brake after telling me I could just slam really hard on the brake and it would just disengage, I should just have done that instead of having it towed. (stupid me I guess) then I had the same ABS traction check engine light problems I've heard and read many complaints about, first time taking it in, the problems stopped and they sent me home. Second time, I drove it straight there and made them look at it and drive it, they had my car for four days and call me to tell me there was nothing they could do because the codes were stored and not active reset the computer and sent me on my way. Now yesterday a year later and at 48,000 miles the car started again. I made them hook it up while the car was still running and the lights still on. What they don't tell you is that shutting your car off "stores" the codes. With the car still on, the codes were active and they found the problem. The body control module. However now it is out of factory warranty and I had to fight with the GM to get it covered. They still wouldn't cover it under factory but did cover it under extended warranty and waived my deductible. However I am still very upset that this has not been recalled, this should not be at my expense at all!!! I will never buy another Jeep ever!

- Lincoln, NE, USA

Aug 252009

Liberty

I have a 2006 Jeep Liberty renegade. In the last 4 weeks, I have replaced 5 left tail lights, and 1 socket. The day after I had the new socket, the light went out. The mechanic, as well as the man at the parts house, have both said this is a bad problem with the liberties. What can I do?

- Pasadena, TX, USA

May 012009

Liberty

ABS, esp, and main brake light flashing alarm chime going off. Been to dealer twice. BCM has been changed twice, instrument cluster has been replaced. No dx codes being sent so dealer can't do anything.

- Cohoes, NY, USA

Jul 042008

Liberty

Numerous mechanical problems all dash lights come on at once between 15 - 50 mph dealer replaced body control module lights still come on now has more problems after repair by dealer. Several recalls on this leased vehicle running up miles back 2 dealer rear window fall down repaired motor tried 2 quit 3 times could be dangerous in traffic seems it loses prime on fuel system. Also excessive tire wear on front tires had it aligned myself was out from factory 10 deg. I have no confidence in dealer 2 fix since I have more problems after last visit. Horn doesn't sound on key pad door lock and fog lights stay on at highbeam after electrical work. Vehicle has locked me out when I shut doors 4 no apparent reason switch keys in ignition and motor running.

- Elkton , KY, USA

Jul 102008

Liberty 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Liberty. While driving 20 mph, the vehicle stalled. While driving at any speed, the vehicle stalled. The contact scheduled an appointment to have the vehicle inspected. The current and failure mileages were 44,500. Updated 07/29/08. Updated 08/06/08

- Spring , TX, USA

Aug 102006

Liberty

Our Jeep Liberty has had the left rear window repaired 3 times and it fell down again yesterday. The right rear has been repaired twice. The sunroof repaired once and the battery/electrical repaired three times. This doesn't count the windshield repaired twice because of leaks. I T appears the windows fall down about every 3-4 months.

- Yuma, AZ, USA