2006 Jeep Liberty electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Liberty:

2006 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 6 of 6)

May 242006

Liberty 4WD Diesel

My client, pablo E. coelho, bought a Jeep Liberty sport 4X4 in argentina for the sum of usd 40,000 and had several problems. Finally the seller change it for a new Jeep last year. With the new Jeep we are experiencing more problems than with the first one and there are more than three recalls incomplete and the seller is not giving us any notice of them neither any solutions to all these problems. The last recall is described as a safety recall and it is stating that the blower motor may overheat and cause an interior fire. This Jeep is not safe to drive and I do not want to have my client nor any third party injured. I will really appreciate if you can help me to have this solved asap.

- Road Town, Bvi, 00, USA

Oct 032006

Liberty 4-cyl

I have a 2003 Jeep Liberty sport and I was recently driving it when the entire system completely shut down. I was able to pull over to the side of the road. It restarted and I went a little further and it completely shut down again. I lost power to steering and was fortunately able to guide it off the main highway without any power. It would not continue running after that. It would start but then shut down right off. I ended up having it towed to a Jeep dealership where I found out two sensors in the computer had gone bad. I had to pay to have the sensors replaced in addition to the tow. I am concerned about what would have happened if I had been on an interstate going at a high rate of speed and those sensors would have gone bad causing me to lose power in traffic. I wonder if some fatalities and injuries have resulted from this situation with other vehicles. I think its a very dangerous situation and Jeep should be investigated to see if they are using defective sensors in the Jeep Liberty. I only have 65 thousand miles on this vehicle and I am concerned about taking it on any lengthy trips. I feel its a danger on the highways with these sensors.

- Owensboro, KY, USA

Oct 172006

Liberty 6-cyl

While driving 2006 Jeep Liberty limited esp/bas light came on and also charging system warning light. Took to dealership they said powertrain control module needs update reprogram, also was a recal to program BCM. Got Jeep back next day, light came back on plus the malfunction indicator light, took back to dealership they had for 2 days called and said they could not find a problem with it. Said it was due to the way I drive and use the brake pedal. Problem not fixed. Jeep has 10000 miles on it now. When it only had 1750 miles all the panel lights came on and the vechicle shut down, had to be towed to dealership. They had to replace cluster, BCM and PCM per star line, repair short in radio wiring harness, also repair burn in 02 sensor wiring harness, reroute harness. And now they say there is nothing wrong with it, to pick it up in the morning.

- Mulberry, FL, USA

Jul 042006

Liberty 4WD 4-cyl Diesel

: the contact stated while traveling 70 mph, a smell of burnt plastic was noticed. The vehicle pulled over, and flames erupted from under the passenger glove compartment. The contact extinguished the fire with a fire extinguisher, and a police report was taken. The driver sustained blisters on his right hand while putting the fire out. The contact believed the fire could have been electrical since the fire started from the air conditioning blower area. The vehicle was deemed totaled, and was taken to a salvage yard. The manufacturer was contacted, and a complaint was taken. Updated 11/03/06.

- Dearborn, MI, USA

Jul 102006

Liberty 4WD

: the contact stated the brakes failed five times at low speeds. There was an accident causing minor damage to another vehicle. The dealer could not duplicate the problem. Also, the check engine light illuminated. The dealer replaced the heater control head however that did not fix the problem. The fuel pump also runs constantly and the manufacturer has been alerted.

- Brookline, NH, USA