2006 Jeep Liberty engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Liberty:

2006 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments

Jul 262016

On two different occasions while driving on the highway at 60 mph to 70 mph, the engine of the vehicle shut down completely, without warning, with the loss of all steering or control over the vehicle. On two other occasions, the engine shut down completely, without warning, with the loss of any steering or control over the vehicle, after exiting the highway and entering city traffic. That is a total of four engine shut downs or stalls while driving the vehicle. The dealer can find nothing wrong with the vehicle. We just bought the vehicle, and this is nerve-wrecking and dangerous to say the least. The engine shuts down after driving long distances, and has happened from driving distances of approximately 90 miles to 160 miles. If you wait approximately one hour, the vehicle will then start up again and run. But it will stall again with complete loss of power. Others on the internet have also experience this problem with Jeep 3.7 and 4.7 powertech Jeep motors. Our Jeep is a 3.7 motor. This appears to be the same problem as Jeep experienced with Jeep commander and Jeep Grand Cherokee models, which were recalled. This situation can obviously be life threatening. Chrysler Jeep should not be allowed to put life treating vehicles on the market and these Jeep must be recalled. We ask for your help in this matter before someone is seriously injured.

- Silver City, NM, USA

Jan 082016

Recalls on this car were not taken care of before being sold to the current owner. Information about such recalls were not disclosed before or during the time of sale. Small issues arose during the first few months of ownership. Recently, in January 2016 bigger issues have come about and now the engine must be replaced. This has all happened while the vehicle has been in motion.

- Westminister, CA, USA

Sep 082008

H. this car has required engine oil to be added every 50 to 100 miles without any evident smell or sight of leaking oil, also torque converter needed replacement experienced deceleration of speed while driving at 50 mph.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Aug 182014

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Liberty. While driving 60 mph, the air conditioning blew hot air and steam emerged from the engine. The vehicle stalled. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road and towed to an independent mechanic. The failure recurred five times. The air compressor had to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 96,000.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Jun 202015

Parked vehicle after driving 20 min. Going about 70mph. After turning the car off, the car started steaming. I popped the hood to find coolant and water overflowing from the coolant reservoir. I got the car towed to the local mechanic who after doing extensive diagnostics to find the leak within the system. Took the manifold off the engine and realized it was caused by bad/ cracked heads on the engine connecting to manifold. A lot of this type of engine has this problem, seen by the local auto mechanic in vail valley, Colorado where Jeep are common. This is a manufacturer problem.

- Avon, CO, USA

Jan 152015

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

3 times while driving on the saw mill parkway this morning in stop and go traffic, while coming to a stop the vehicle started to accelerate out of control. The brakes could not control it. The first time I put it in neutral and the engine reverted to idle speed and I was able to continue normally. A few miles later it did it again as I was coming to a stop in heavy traffic. This time when I put it in neutral the engine raced at full speed as if it was being floored. I had to turn off the key. When I restarted the engine it ran fine for a few miles until I was exiting the highway. Again when I slowed to a stop the engine raced at full revs. Going into neutral did not help. Turning off the key fixed it. At the end of the day after work the vehicle behaved normally. This Jeep has done this 3 times in the past, in January 2009, Feb 2012 and October 2014.

- Mount Kisco, NY, USA

Nov 252014

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

When pushed to speed up at a fast rate and upon approaching 65mph or faster the service engine light flashes slowly. My mechanic found the code reader saying a misfire was happening. When that light flashes it starts to shake pretty bad. Determined that cylinder 1 has low compression. Only way to find out for sure what to do next is to tear down the motor which I do not have the money for that. Sad how waistful people are forced to be with vehicles. Its still pretty new!! we took good care of this Jeep maintaining it correctly since we got it with only 37K miles and has not had any problems till now. So this was a shock! before 37K miles I am not aware of this particular Jeep's engine repair history. Also this same Jeep had the clogged fuel line causing the tank to spill out while fueling up when it was not full yet.

- Caldwell, KS, USA

Dec 122006

Liberty 4WD 4-cyl

Engine stalls, sputters, not drivable, no check engine light, dealer had no clue what was wrong. This condition continued on several other occasions and vehicle had to be towed to dealership.

- Laredo, TX, USA

Jul 312014

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that his vehicle was making a vibrating noise. When the hood was opened the coolant fan exploded. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 67,000. Updated 10/30/14 the consumer felt the vehicle was not properly inspected, only pictures were taken. When the fan exploded it took out the radiator and electric cooling fan. It also cut the forehead of the consumer's friend. The manufacturer took no responsibility. Updated 4/27/2015

- Crossville, TN, USA

Jun 182013

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the vehicle stalled. The check engine, ABS and the traction warning lights also illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was shifted into the neutral and then placed into the drive. The vehicle resumed normal operations but the failure recurred shortly thereafter. The manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 140,000 and the current 165,000.

- Swainsboro, GA, USA

Apr 022012

Liberty 6-cyl

Dashboard lights for electronic stability control, and traction control come on and stayed lit until after turning the motor off. The systems don't seem to function when the lights are on. This occurs several times a month with no apparent reason, ie: Not slippery conditions, weather is variable. I noticed another driver said it happens when their lights are on. I always drive with my lights on, so I don't know if that is a factor.

- Grass Valley, CA, USA

Jan 312014

Liberty 6-cyl

I tried to make a U turn road was narrow so I had to back up and got stuck in the snow. I rocked it back and forth a few times and then we noticed smoke and fire coming out from under the hood.we got out of the vehicle and within 10 minutes the whole Jeep was on fire! there was no damage to the vehicle when I got stuck not a clew why this vehicle would have started on fire.

- Hibbing, MN, USA

Feb 062014

Liberty 6-cyl

I put my car into 4WD for a minute and came to a complete stop and took it completely out of 4WD. It stayed stuck in 4WD and after burning up my engine it broke my front passenger side axle and now I have to pay $800 for repairs. I have never used my 4WD and we are stuck in a snowstorm in the mountain close to portland, Oregon and I cant get anywhere.

- Portland, OR, USA

May 092013

Liberty 4-cyl Diesel

While driving the vehicle stopped developing power. Wide open throttle was applied, the vehicle decelerated to approximately 30mph until I was able to pull over. The engine was running extremely rough and would not generate power. I shut it down, waiting a approximately 1 minute and restarted the engine where it ran normally. This problem has happened approximately 5 times in the past year.

- Mc Cordsville, IN, USA

Apr 282012

Liberty 4-cyl Diesel

On three separate occasions vehicle stalls upon engaging drive or reverse from park or neutral. The shift is made, the vehicle begins to move, then suddenly it stalls, the engine shuts off. Park or neutral must be quickly reselected to restart vehicle. Danger of being in an intersection when this happens it high. Dealer says it is a known issue, with no solution.

- Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

Mar 152011

Liberty 6-cyl

Vehicle started exhibiting a cyl #3 misfire showing code P0303 and all the signs included in tsb 09-007-06. Was also diagnosed by the dealer and having defective cylinder valves and valve locks. I have contacted Chrysler about this problem and they refuse to accept any responsibility for this even though they have a service bulletin out about it. This issue is causing the vehicle to produce more emissions and waste more gas while it runs incorrectly also causing premature damage to the catalytic converter. Any help the NHTSA can provide to help rectify this matter would be great help as Jeep wants to hide from all of there defective parts behind new owner Fiat.

- Putnam Valley, NY, USA

Jul 042012

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

I was at the car wash and I was running my A/C and everything was working great. All of a sudden it was hot air coming out of the blower which has only been working in speeds 3 and 4. it is extremely hot right now in America. Today in fort wayne it's supposed to be 105 and tomorrow 106. I have taken excellent car of this Jeep and serviced it regularly. This has come to great shock to me and my wife as we have just moved to the fort wayne area Indiana. We are down two vehicles with this heat. Her car blew a timing chain and it was also a Chrysler product. We couldn't afford to fix the engine for that and the cost for the A/C is $866 for the Jeep. I have read a lot of blogs on others losing their A/C in this year of Jeep. I don't want to have a stroke or worse and I can't afford to fix a six year old Jeep.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

May 152012

Liberty 4-cyl Diesel

This problem pertains to the 2006 Jeep Liberty crd 2.8L diesel. Under acceleration from 55 mph to 65 mph, the vehicle stalled and would not go over 3,000 RPM. When the vehicle slowed to 45 mph, it would not increase speed, effectively in a "limp-in mode". after the vehicle stopped, the engine was shut off for about 2 minutes then restarted. The vehicle traveled for approximately 5-7 miles with no problems then the incident happened again. The vehicle was towed to the Jeep dealer where it was purchased and after two weeks the dealer basically gave up trying to fix the car. The issue has not been fixed and as I scan the internet I find this is a common yet dangerous problem with this vehicle.

- Cochranville, PA, USA