2006 Jeep Liberty engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Liberty:

2006 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments

Aug 112015

Liberty

The contact owned a 2006 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the gear shift would not engage into drive and the vehicle started making a roaring noise. The contact's vehicle lunged forward and struck the preceding vehicle. The brakes seized and the pedal was all the way down to the floor. The police filed a report. There were no injuries. The vehicle was towed to an impound lot. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 137,000. Updated 05/11/16

- Lexington, NC, USA

Apr 072015

Liberty

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Liberty. While driving at an unknown speed, the brake, check engine, and anti skid warning lights illuminated. In addition, the cruise control feature was activated, but failed to function. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the clock spring needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired due to the part not being available. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 125,000. Updated 09/21/15

- Adeil, WI, USA

Jun 202015

Liberty

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Liberty. While driving at 20 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed, but the vehicle accelerated in excess. As a result, the contact crashed into an embankment and a tree. The contact noticed that the accelerator pedal remained depressed after the crash. The contact sustained chest, left arm, and leg injuries that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 106,000.

- Columbus, GA, USA

May 212015

Liberty

Esp/bas, ABS and skidding vehicle icon lights came on in the instrument cluster! the cruise control stopped working. This is the same issue we had on our 2007 Jeep Wrangler, which I filed a complaint with the NHTSA, which issued a recall on our Jeep. The clock spring module, located under the steering wheel, controls, the ABS, esp/bas, cruise control, horn, and air bag! this is a safety issue and should be recalled, like my 2007 Jeep Wrangler was!

- Alachua, FL, USA

Feb 192015

Liberty

I bought A2006 Jeep Liberty in August of 2014, been having problems with the tires, which keep seeping air and I have to put air in it every other day. When I press on the foot pedal the car jerks and it speeds up by itself. Couldn't get my key out after it was put in park. Press on brakes and still couldn't get them out. The shift lever moves without pressing on the button that supposed to lock it in place. The date that I put in is for the shift lever which still isn't fixed yet.the other things been going on since I bought the car.

- Rockfrod, IL, USA

Jan 202009

Liberty 4WD 4-cyl Diesel

Uncontrolled acceleration. While at a full stop at a red light with my foot on the brake, the engine started to accelerate and the car started jumping as the rear tires 'burned rubber'. pressing harder on the brake did not help. I put the car into neutral and then the engine went back to idle. This is the third instance of this in 5 years (the first was approximately 1/16/09 in nyc, then again on 2/6/12 in nm, and then this one on 10/20/14 in NY. The first time I was at a busy crosswalk by a school. There could have been many injuries. Each time the vehicle was at a full stop, the engine at idle and my foot on the brakes when the engine suddenly started accelerating wildly. Updated 12/02/14.

- Mount Kisco, NY, USA

Oct 122010

Liberty

2006 Jeep Liberty- window regulator problem. Windows crash down into door while driving, startling the driver! this is the third window in the vehicle that has had to be replaced. This is apparently a huge defect (just read the many reviews online) that Chrysler won't admit to.

- Liberty, MO, USA

Jul 062010

Liberty

Unintended acceleration while at a stoplight. Had to turn of the motor to reset.

- Union Pier, MI, USA

Mar 012010

Liberty Diesel

My father's Jeep Liberty turbo diesel automatically & randomly accelerated on its own about 2-3 days on his way to work (similar to the Toyota situation). The Jeep on-board computer threw up an engine fault code. When he took the car to the Jeep dealership, they said his accelerator pedal module was bad and made my dad pay over $300 to get it replace. The Jeep had under 50K miles on it and it should be against the law to make customer pay to repair a car that speeds up on its own. Are we the only people who have had this problem with a Jeep (Chrysler) product? we have receipts for the repairs and it should have documented the engine fault code that Jeep discovered.

- Whitehall, PA, USA

Liberty 6-cyl

2006 Chrysler Jeep Liberty sudden accelerating. The consumer was driving when the vehicle suddenly accelerated to 65 mph. No amount of pushing on the brakes made the car stop. She was going down a mountain, whizzed past a stop sign, and went around another curve until she came to a major state road with lots of speeding cars. She had to make a decision either to try to merge onto the road or plow into the mountain. She plowed into the mountain and came to a stop when her car crashed a stop sign at the end of the road inches from the ongoing traffic. Both of her feet were on the brakes the entire time. The vehicle flipped on its side and the engine was still roaring.

Jan 152009

Liberty

Uncontrolled acceleration 2006 Jeep Liberty crd. While stopped at a red light, engine idling, foot on the brake, my engine started to wildly accelerate. I held the brake as hard as I could and the rear wheels started spinning and burning runner and the entire car was 'jumping'. after a few seconds of this I put it into neutral and turned off the engine. When I restarted it moments later it was fine. I brought it to my Jeep dealer in mt kisco NY but they couldn't ind anything wrong. It hasn't done it again. There was nothing jamming the gas pedal. The car was at a stop and idling with my foot on the brake when the engine suddenly started racing on it's own.

- Mount Kisco, NY, USA

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Letter from congressman boucher on behalf of constituent concerning his purchase of a 2006 Jeep Liberty. The vehicle was sold by the consumer to another consumer who experienced sudden acceleration and subsequently had an accident. The consumer stated everything was fine until she tried to stop at a stop sign at the bottom of a steep hill. The consumer realized the vehicle was not slowing down and barely made the turn. Even after the consumer removed her foot from the accelerator, the vehicle was still accelerating. The consumer stated she tried slamming on the brakes, but to no avail. The vehicle finally stopped when the consumer hit a stop sign and then proceeded to flip over on the right side. The engine continued to rev loudly and only stopped after the consumer turned the ignition off.

- Floyd, VA, USA

Mar 022009

Liberty

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Liberty. The contact experienced unintended acceleration and a crash occurred while traveling 40 mph. The brakes failed to engage and the vehicle drove into an embankment and rolled over. A police report was filed. There were no serious injuries. The vehicle was taken to a body shop and then to the dealer; however, the dealer could not find any error codes for the failure. The manufacturer stated that they could not assist, but offered to send a crash investigator. After sending the investigator, the manufacturer concluded that they could do nothing more to assist. The current and failure mileages were 33,348.

Feb 142008

Liberty

Dealership stated there was nothing wrong with my front ABS brakes. Still after 14,746 miles give or take a few my brakes still have periodic pulsation. I should of wrote this complaint 14,746 miles ago my vehicle now has 49,175 I bought it 34,429 thank god for extended warranties because otherwise I would have no windows because after buying a $16,000 vehicle I could not afford to replace all the window regulators that broke oh and I had to have a fuel pump module replaced it did not fix the problem my main concern on this heap im mean Jeep are the breaks front and rear and that Chrysler Jeep will not be held accountable for these problems until a person has died. There are many other problems cosmetic problems like the interior and heater vents. But not life threatening. I also have many concerns with the electrical system but again the dealer crown motors of redding California states that they cant manifest it they cant fix it every time I get my Jeep back from them it runs worse that it did prior.

- Anderson , CA, USA

Liberty 6-cyl

The consumer was driving when the vehicle suddenly accelerated to 65 mph. No amount of pushing on the brakes made the car stop. She was going down a mountain, whizzed past a stop sign, and went around another curve until she came to a major state road with lots of speeding cars. She had to make a decision either to try to merge onto the road or plow into the mountain. She plowed into the mountain and came to a stop where she hit a stop sign at the end of the road inches from the ongoing traffic. Both of her feet were on the brakes the entire time. The vehicle flipped on its side and the engine was still roaring.

May 162008

Liberty 4-cyl

Upon rapid acceleration to pass another vehicle, this Jeep Liberty crd accelerator pedal latches and vehicle continues to accelerate regardless of braking or other measures. In order to maintain control you are forced to put vehicle in neutral, pull over at a safe location (if available) and physically pull up, or "unlatch" the accelerator pedal. The dealer has been informed of this problem two previous times and did not take the problem seriously.

- Carey, OH, USA

Feb 082008

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

On 2/21/08 I took my 2006 Jeep Liberty to david O'neal automotive to have my vehicle checked as a result of two incidents that had occurred during it's operation and another operational problem. The first incident occurred in the walmart parking lot as I was stopped to allow a pedestrian to cross the parking lot. The Jeep accelerated while it was in a stopped position and I had to put the vehicle in park to avoid hitting the pedestrian. On the second incident I was stopped at a light when the Jeep once again accelerated on its own. The other problem that I was having with the vehicle is it's inability to accelerate effectively at times. The service advisor advised me that they did get the Jeep to duplicate the problem but they did not get a code for the problem. On 2/22/08 I spoke to the service manager for the dealership with regard to the problems I was having with the vehicle, the issue of my having to pay for diagnostic fees and repairs and the safety issues involved with this matter. He advised me to wait until the vehicle repeats the problem and bring it in to see if we can get a code. I notified him that they had already seen the problem repeat itself when I had it in for repair and a code did not activate. He again stated that I should bring it in to see if a code could be retrieved. I asked him, if a code could not be retrieved, what do we do then? he could not give me any definitive answer to this question. On this same date I relayed all of this same information to the customer relations coordinator. In addition I expressed the fact that when the repair bills and diagnostic fees were being charged to me it was okay to proceed without codes but now that I feel that the dealership should be paying for these costs, due to when the vehicle was purchased (1/3/2008) and the nature of the problem (defect), the dealership feels that we cannot proceed without a code.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Mar 082007

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

On 2006 Jeep Liberty renegade activates for no apparent reason, causing vehicle to lose power/choke out/stumble on acceleration. Problem occurred intermittently up to 3 or 4 times a week. Tended to happen often when going around corners in 1st or 2nd gear, and sometimes when just going straight. Sometimes the light will flash while the loss of power occured, but sometimes not.. when this occurred pavement was dry and there were no abrupt manuevers no reason for this system to activate. This was a serious safety issue that could cause an accident. Purchased vehicle new from dealer in November '06. Dealer acknowledged problem in March '07, claiming they were waiting for a software update from Chrysler. In June '07 I returned to the dealer and addressed the problem again, and I was told that there were no tsbs, no codes, and they could not duplicate the problem. They did not acknowledge"the problem this time. They acknowledged it in writing on my service receipt in March). Even on the way home from the dealer today it happened again when I exited an off ramp from the highway.

- East Islip, NY, USA

Apr 062007

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Speedometer has a 5 mph error....manufacturer confirms error and indicates that this amount of error is acceptable.

- Jeffersonville, NY, USA

Mar 132006

Liberty 4WD 4-cyl Diesel

I have a problem with my 2005 Jeep Liberty diesel failing to stop at the first stop sign in the morning. It has also not stopped after being parked for a few hours. The engine continues to push the vehicle forward into traffic or the intersection/cross walk. I have taken the vehicle to Jeep but they cannot duplicate the problem. I have come very close to running over students on the campus of the university of Alabama. I believe this problem is associated with Jeep's torque converter problems. My wife has also experienced this problem so it has nothing to do with driving style. This problem will eventually kill or injure someone.

- Tuscaloosa, AL, USA