2006 Jeep Liberty miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Liberty:

2006 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 062016

- Washington, DC, USA

Jul 192016

Yesterday, the rear passenger window slid into door, will not come up. Can hear regulator but window is stuck in door. Vehicle was parked on a residential street, all windows were up, and about 20 minutes later the window had disappeared into the door. I called Chrysler but the VIN is not part of Chrysler's notice to owner's in 2010 regarding faulty window regulators.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Aug 082015

As I was leaving the grocery store I heard a slam noise in the back passenger area of my Jeep Liberty. I pulled back into the parking and saw that my rear passenger window had fallen into the door. I went online to inquire about it and saw that this is a problem for the majority of 06 Jeep Liberty owners alike. I called Chrysler Jeep and because there's no recall on my VIN I would have to pay for all repairs myself. It's too expensive and I'm not about to pay for another faulty part like everyone else did. My father paid to fix the rear driver's side window in March. The rear passenger side window fell in August 2015. This needs to be fixed by Chrysler due to all of these consumer complaints!

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

May 142016

I had to roll down the driver side window glass to pay parking fee and then the window never went up. Had to drive in the highway when the window was down completely. I had to replace the window glass prior 4 times for their low quality lift plate on window glass and this time the dealer said it is not covered in 7 yrs extended warranty and asked to pay $500 to fix the regulator. The dealer fixed this lift plate issue prior under 7 yrs extended warranty with low quality material and so this issue reoccured but this time as they found warranty was expired they asked to pay $500 for regulator this time saying it is not under warranty or 7 yrs extended warranty expired. Jeep needs to pay my $500 back for the regulator because I think they are ripping my money off because of their faulty design.

- Plymouth, MN, USA

Apr 162016

Went to start smoke came out from dash was parked in gargage truck is still in shop ins told me only reason they woul D cover is because is was a long coustomer thy only gave me 883 to repair there are at least 14 codes due to this don't know if they will reset if not I have to pay for repairs I do have fire protection on truck this is allstate I will send paper work if needed at a later date I have none also waiting for check told for me to pay repair shop

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jun 012013

The back right passenger window regulator broke and the window fell down into the door. It has been taped for a while because it is astronomically expensive to fix. I see many Jeep driving around all the time with tape on the windows because of this exact issue. After googling the issue it is well known in the Jeep community.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Apr 042016

Current problem: Drove vehicle into my garage. Gear shift is now stuck in park; key stuck in ignition. In the past, I have also had air conditioning blower issue (works on level 4 only) for some time and passengers complain of a "plastic" smell when I'm driving. ?? 109,000 miles.

- Lansing, MI, USA

Feb 142016

Front suspension:lower ball joint was replaced 2006 it has broke again while pulling into garage but is out of recall feel it is due to faulty replacement parts. Shift interlock cable and gear shifter: Cant remove key from the ignition called Chrysler no recall issued for this they will not replace even though if you look in the internet there are lots of Jeep Liberty owners with the same problem

- Scottsburg, IN, USA

Jan 282016

Originally purchased tow hitch and paid for installation at a car repair shop, then later had to stop by a Jeep dealership to inspect it. The Jeep dealership removed my hitch to install a new one but stole my old hitch that I already paid for. I could have returned the old hitch or used it for my other vehicle but instead they refused to give it back to me and wouldn't even give me back the small rubber tow hitch cover I had on it. So now I'm out the money I paid for the original hitch and now Chrysler Jeep gets away with stealing my aftermarket add-ons. This is criminal and I should be reimbursed for what they took from me. The dealership was rude to me and told me they had to destroy the tow hitch I brought in. Overall, it was the worst service ever.

- Downers Grove, IL, USA

Oct 062015

Had both rear windows and their regulators replaced at 24,612 miles as both windows had fallen into the doors. The repair was made under goodwill as the vehicle was more than 3 years old but under 36,000 miles. The problem with the rear window appeared again before 49,000 miles and I must bear the cost of the repair, which will be well over $300. We live in constant fear of using our power windows as eventually they will collapse into the doors again for another expensive fix and more time waiting for repairs at the dealership. I bought this vehicle new and still own it. The vehicle was moving when the window problem happened.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Aug 172015

Cannot fill gas tank without gas spewing out even if trying to fill it very slow. I'm only able get a few dollars in a time, but always end up taking a "gas bath." Also when I purchased the Jeep Liberty in 2009 I cannot let the gas auto fill or it will "splash out" when it clicks off. I have to watch it fill and shut off at 16.5 gallons or less if completely empty or I'll have a mess on my hands.

- New Straitsville, OH, USA

Sep 022015

ABS, bas/esp, tcs indicator lights illuminate, vehicle loses power, brakes are applied ( most likely right front as car pulls to right) releasing throttle cancels the braking. As throttle is reapplied same action is repeated. So far it has only occurred at speeds< 35 mph. Should it occur in slippery road conditions it most likely result in loss of researching the problem on the internet, it seems to be or is becoming a more common occurence which fca is not addressing. If you read the other complaint of the same problem it dates back a few years, yet there doesn't seem to be anything done to correct it. Some complainants say they have been unable to have it corrected even at Jeep dealerships, others report it's something called the clock spring that is causing the problem and the parts to repair it aren't available. Having just recently had fca's gas tank solution corrected, I hope a fix for this won't take as long. I neglected to say this was not a one-time event in as much as it happens now on an almost daily basis. A local shop checked for fault codes but there were none in memory; I have it scheduled for further tests 09/16/2015.

- Bellingham, WA, USA

Nov 262008

While driving the vehicle, I tried to operate front left and right rear windows and they would not roll up or down. I took it to the dealer where I purchased it and they repaired both. However, since then there have been 7 more instances on all windows not operating properly. Currently, the back passenger window is not operating and the dealer refuses to repair it because the vehicle is not under warranty. This is a newly opened Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep dealer in my town. This is just one of the many problems I have experienced with this Jeep Liberty, including the PCM is currently not functioning properly making the vehicle impossible to drive. At my wit's end with this vehicle.

- Aransas Pass, TX, USA

Jul 012015

When it rains my floor board on passenger side floods with 5 to 6 inches of water. I live in Florida & we have had a lot of rain the last month & 1/2. this has never happened until now. Why"???".

- Chiefland, FL, USA

Aug 012006

Over the course of the nine years I have owned this Liberty, each of the 4 power windows have failed multiple times.the windows simply fall down freely without warning, and can not be placed back in an upright, closed position. This has occurred twice on each front window, and on each the left/rear and right rear windows it has happened three separate times. Though this is an ongoing and known safety and security issue, there has been no service bulletin or recall as far as I know. Chrysler/Jeep customer service and local dealer are unwilling to recognize the problem or cover the repairs. Jeep quotes us over $600 for the repair before reducing the estimates, due only to my persistent complaints. I understand there has been a class action suit brought by others on this very issue.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jul 282015

My blower motor resistor is partially inoperative. There was a issue with the blower motor that was a recall item and it was addressed in this car by previous owner but I believe the blower motor should have been replaced also

- Cortlandt Manor, NY, USA

Jul 282015

Every time I fill up the gas tank it overflows. I have spoken to other people who have the same car and they said they have same problem and in one case the person told me that Jeep repaired it as part of recall, but I do not see it as a recall specifically, and when I called Chrysler about it they said it is not a recall item for the car. This is a Liberty submodel

- Cortlandt Manor, NY, USA

Jul 152015

The 2006 Jeep Liberty has an exposed gas tank susceptible to exploding on rear-end collision. As the owner of a used Liberty I'm concerned for my safety.

- Belfast, ME, USA

May 012007

Passenger door window fell down. Linkage/regulator had to be replaced. This has happened to the windows, on all 4 doors, 3-4 times each. This just happened again to the rear drivers side window on 5-10-15.

- Lima, OH, USA

May 092015

Unable to close rear lift gate. Vehicle was not using anti-lock brakes. Vehicle was not using cruise control. Was able to have a 'work around' by using the key fob to release the gate latch in order to close the window. As of Saturday May 9,2015, that work around has failed. Key fob is still able to lock/unlock doors and set alarm. Noticed no superficial water damage /leaks around weather strip. Read and noticed several complaints about the rear window latch not closing properly if at all. This is a driving hazard that will surely cause drivers to have infractions and/or accidents. Please advise.

- Wyandanch, NY, USA