2006 Jeep Liberty steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Liberty:

2006 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jan 012010

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

My 2006 Jeep Liberty can not make close turns. Seems ball joints are defective.

- 48390, MI, USA

Nov 282010

Liberty 4WD 4-cyl

Failure of high-pressure send/receive power steering line due to rusted connector on a vehicle with 42,000 miles on it leading to a $600 repair and loss of use of my vehicle for over a week. This is a common problem with the Jeep Liberty according to many Liberty owners and Jeep will not issue a recall for this part, which repeatedly fails.

- Horn Lake, MS, USA

Apr 122006

Liberty

At 16,000 miles my high pressure power steering hose went out on my 2006 Jeep Liberty and again at 46,000. The dealer claims this is "normal" and there is no recall on a faulty part. If it weren't $462 I wouldn't think twice about it. I got a second estimate from the guy who worked on my old car(main St. Garage, firplay co) and he said that he's seen quite a few Jeep Liberty's come in with the same problem...one last week and before that there were 3 others in a 2 week period. He also stated that Jeep is now using a different company to supply them with the part which, to me, means they know there was a problem with the old one.

- Breckenridge, CO, USA

Dec 272009

Liberty

Key is stuck in ignition which is unsafe to leave vehicle unattended at any time, my dealer has advised me that the problem is the gear shifter and since the vehicle is easily shifted into gear without a key it could have rolled away if placed in the neutral or drive gear.

- Glendale, CA, USA

Dec 202009

Liberty

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Liberty. The adjustable latch for the steering column causes the steering wheel to move or drop while driving. The vehicle was taken to the dealership for inspection. The technician stated that the steering column needed to be replaced. The current and failure mileages were 59000.

- Sioux City, IA, USA

Jul 302009

Liberty

My key locks up and I cannot turn it all the way back to release the key. Therefore my key remains in the ignition. I am able to start the car but unable to remove the key.

- Puyallup, WA, USA

Oct 192008

Liberty

Ignition switch binds up intermittently also shifter and steering wheel do not lock up and can move shifter from park without pushing brake. Adjusted shift cable but did not solve problem. Found that shifter and cable assembly were worn. Removed and replaced shift interlock cable and gear shift assembly. Test operation ok.

- Wisconsin Dells , WI, USA

Jun 132008

Liberty

Lost steering control. The braking system failed to work.

- Huntington, NY, USA

Mar 082007

Liberty 4WD

Jeep Liberty with steering system problems* the steering wheel didn't return to its normal position after making a turn. The consumer stated on a recent trip, he had to force the steering wheel straight after making small turns.

- Hayden, ID, USA

Jan 072007

Liberty 4-cyl

While driving my 2006 Jeep Liberty on the interstate. The power steering failed as I was exiting the expressway. The tow truck driver informed told me that he knew about the "Jeep Liberty" problem. That he is currently picking up at least 1 Jeep Liberty per day due to failed power steering. He mentioned that he thought that the current design causes the belt to just slip off. He then raised the hood and showed me that the belt was intact but just off and was lying on another part of the engine. He mentioned that the dealer should see and repair the problem; however it may come off again. He told me that this was that same problem that he was seeing with the other Jeep that he is towing, the belt just slips off. I do not make many road trips, just back and forth to work and my daughter's volleyball practice. We were returning from volleyball at the time of the incident. He suggested that I inform the dealer of our conversation, and also suggested that I request an inquiry. Being Sunday evening the dealer was closed. I plan to be at the dealer tomorrow morning.

- Fairfax Station, VA, USA