2006 Jeep Liberty steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Liberty:

2006 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 262016

Liberty

On two different occasions while driving on the highway at 60 mph to 70 mph, the engine of the vehicle shut down completely, without warning, with the loss of all steering or control over the vehicle. On two other occasions, the engine shut down completely, without warning, with the loss of any steering or control over the vehicle, after exiting the highway and entering city traffic. That is a total of four engine shut downs or stalls while driving the vehicle. The dealer can find nothing wrong with the vehicle. We just bought the vehicle, and this is nerve-wrecking and dangerous to say the least. The engine shuts down after driving long distances, and has happened from driving distances of approximately 90 miles to 160 miles. If you wait approximately one hour, the vehicle will then start up again and run. But it will stall again with complete loss of power. Others on the internet have also experience this problem with Jeep 3.7 and 4.7 powertech Jeep motors. Our Jeep is a 3.7 motor. This appears to be the same problem as Jeep experienced with Jeep commander and Jeep Grand Cherokee models, which were recalled. This situation can obviously be life threatening. Chrysler Jeep should not be allowed to put life treating vehicles on the market and these Jeep must be recalled. We ask for your help in this matter before someone is seriously injured.

- Silver City, NM, USA

Dec 072015

Liberty

Jeep would not start -had lights, radio, horn etc. But it would not turn over at all. Towed to dealer. Tech performed diagnosis and found the problem - steering column had to be replaced. Total cost $798. I was told that the steering column and ignition switch were problem issues in this make and model but no recall was in place to repair. Ignition switch recall replace in 2006 Jeep Liberty manual transmission but not in automatic transmission

- Salisbury, MD, USA

Aug 152015

Liberty

My daughters front wheel broke loose from her car while turning into a parking lot. The right front wheel came off about 2 months prior to the left wheel coming off. Both sides had broken lower ball joints. Jeep dealership told me the car was not covered since there were no recalls for this vehicle. If this had happen going down the interstate or highway it would have been a disaster. The car had to be repair onsite, because both times the wrecker company said it may damage the finder if moved.

- Semmes, AL, USA

Jun 152015

Liberty

While driver is parking car, the ignition released the key while the car was in gear, causing car to roll and crash into another vehicle.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Jul 262015

Liberty

The lower ball joint broke causing the frame and wheel to separate. The frame fell onto the tire. The rim was sliced completely in half. And the brand new tire was busted. It caused us to loose control of the vehicle. The vehicle feared of the road and landed ina ditch. We had to have a tow truck pick up the vehicle. It cost us 300 dollars to have the vehicle brought home. After getting home we found out the piece that broke, the lower ball joint, was part of the Jeep recall in 2006. I called Chrysler and they did admit that part was a recall fix in 2006. We are now waiting on Chrysler to call us back to let us know what we are suppose to do next. We are without a vehicle.

- Leakesville, MS, USA

Jul 142015

Liberty

While driving there is a rambling sound coming from the front of my front of my vehicle, when I press on the breaks there is a grinding noise, I have taken my vehicle to southern Chrysler Jeep of greenbrier located in chesapeake, va and they advise the unit need front upper control arms and lower ball joints. According to contacting Chrysler the manufacture I was advise the part was inital change in 2007 and the current part (lower ball joints) is currently on back order. According to the dealer/service facility they stated there is approximate 500 lower ball joints on back order, I have contacted Chrysler via web chat and they confirm part is not available. I have express my fear of driving the vehicle due to issue and ask to be compensate for a car rental in which I was decline. I am complaining due to part stock availability is un-acceptable and I fear of driving this unsafe vehicle

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Feb 162015

Liberty 6-cyl

A large noise followed by deteriorated control steering my vehicle. After forcing it into a parking lot, a view of underneath front drivers side revealed a large metal object broken and jammed into my wheel. This sounds like the recall #09E039000 or recall id # 91163. Local dealership states my VIN is not in this recall and cannot fix it under the recall. My make, model and year of vehicle matches the recall and I think this calls for further investigation into additional vehicles.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Feb 192012

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The lower control arm and ball joint failed per F 23 recall of Jeep Chrysler and damaged the tire and rim which had to be replaced. We filed a claim with Chrysler customer assistance on Aug 20, 2014 and they were processing it and told us they would reimburse the $1146.83 not later than Oct 20, 2014. We had not heard anything from ccassistance so we telephoned today. Brad, the agent, could not find any record and also said that the recall was completed and that there would not be any reimbursement to us for the repairs we had to make. That is not in Accord with the recall and furthermore, the lower control arm and ball joints failed again on August 18, 2014 and the safford Chrysler Jeep Dodge of springfield Virginia replaced the control arms and ball joints on both the left and right side under a F23 recall warranty at no charge to us. We request that NHTSA contact Chrysler and require them to reimburse us for the $1146.83 which we paid out of pocket.

- Falls Church, VA, USA

Dec 012014

Liberty 4WD 4-cyl

While driving veh. Slowy went over a speed bump heard a loud bang. Upon inspection noticed that rear trailing / control arm. Had separated / rusted. Unable to drive at speed or control steering. Did not crash though.

- Gastonia , NC, USA

Apr 152014

Liberty 4WD 4-cyl Diesel

As I had just exited the Florida's turnpike North bound at kendall drive in miami and attempted to enter the town and country mall at about 20 mph, the front passenger side ball joint of my 2006 crd 4X4 Jeep Liberty came apart causing the vehicle to lock the front wheel as the steering arm with part of the ball joint enter and landed inside the rim and the tire, perforating it and preventing the tire from turning causing the Jeep to almost buck like a horse sending us head first towards the windshield. Thankfully, it did not happen 45 seconds earlier when my family and I were on the express way driving 65 mph...it would have been catastrophic! this equipment/part failure is known as recall F-23 by Chrysler/Jeep and they are well aware of it!! I was never aware of such recall !! Chrysler/Jeep, after one month at their dealer continue to refuse to fix the collateral damage on the vehicle (rim, etc) created by their defective part!! using as an excuse that the factory warranty is over when it has nothing to do with that. Chrysler sent an "independent" inspector to view the vehicle. This "independent" inspector's bill is paid by Chrysler. This equipment failure is extremely dangerous!! and could be fatal!!! please help!! at this time I only want my Jeep fixed properly, and that Chrysler honors the traditional Jeep quality and commitment to their customers!! a letter has been sent to Chrysler claims after multiple attempts to solve this problem in person and via telephone. No results!! updated 06/04/14

- Miami, FL, USA

Mar 292014

Liberty 6-cyl

We purchased a used 2006 Jeep Liberty last year. Last night we went to drive it up the road and the right front passenger side tire disengaged from the steering knuckle and the ball joint disconnected. Luckily enough we weren't driving very fast otherwise it could have caused injury considering the tire is now almost at a 90 degree angle and we can't move the car. I understand the statute of limitations is 8 years after the original purchase date, I would like to know if I can get a manufacturer repair done free of charge, and would rather have it done at a dealer knowing they would have the correct parts. Normally my 1 year old is in the car, luckily he wasn't last night, but would like to know if I am entitled to repairs.

- Williamsburg, OH, USA

Feb 062014

Liberty 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the steering wheel position locking mechanism malfunctioned and caused the steering wheel to move out of position. The contact indicated that the failure was recurring. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 147,000.

- Evensville, IN, USA

Feb 212014

Liberty 6-cyl

Car was disabled due to defective tab inside steering column. Vehicle would not start. Battery fine. Starter fine. Mechanic found it to be an non-serviceable part within the steering column. Entire column has to be replaced. I have to either wait for a new column to ship and pay a total of $920 parts and labor and tax. Or buy a used one and total cost is $475. This is a defective part that should be recalled. This part cannot be maintained and is not subject to normal wear and tear. This is a safety issue. This is a common problem for this model and can leave drivers and passengers stranded in an unsafe situation.

- Solvay, NY, USA

Dec 272013

Liberty

Turning left the car lost control spinning around 360 degrees. It was around 9pm. No traffic no cars around, no crashes.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jan 062014

Liberty 6-cyl

We never had any problems with the steering on our 2006 Jeep Liberty until we had a severe cold snap (Jeep was bought in fl and now resides in de) and then all of a sudden it developed a screeching, straining noise in the steering and all around driving.it didn't matter what speed we drove the noise was always there and consistent, whether you turned a corner, put on the brakes, backed up or drove on the road normally almost sounded like the brakes were dragging but we had the brakes changed in April 2013. Took Jeep to our auto repair shop and they diagnosed the vehicle with bad upper and lower ball joints. Don't understand why this would happen all of a sudden but in ended up a very costly repair. Enjoy our Jeep but if there was any recalls for ball joints we were never notified.

- Millsboro, DE, USA

Apr 112013

Liberty 6-cyl

The lower and upper ball joints are deteriorating and cause inner wear on both front tires. The car had an alignment and new tires less than one year old. The accelerated inner wear and cupping resulted in a blowout. This is a safety issue. The Jeep Liberty has serious suspension problems. When I spoke to the Jeep/Chrysler cooperation, they were unwilling to assist in fixing the problem. When completing research, this seems to be a common problem with 2006 Jeep liberties. Jeep fails to recognize that the VIN model of Jeep has a defect in lower and upper balls joints for my model. I am very disappointed in the Jeep company for the lack of attention and assistance for such a major safety issue.

- Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Oct 252013

Liberty 6-cyl

Car was disabled due to defective tab inside steering column. Part was replaced in 2010, costing $600 to repair. Happened again 10/25/13 costing over $1,000 to repair. This is a defective part that should be recalled. This part cannot be maintained and is not subject to normal wear and tear. This is a safety issue because this part breaks often and will disable a vehicle, leaving a family stranded.

- Hoboken, NJ, USA

May 132013

Liberty 6-cyl

Keys stuck in ignition. Would not come out which left leaving my vehicle unsafe to leave unattended. Took it to the dealership today and they had to replace the entire shifter and something in the ignition. I was told this happens often in this particular model. Total repair was $699.

- Portland, OR, USA

May 082013

Liberty 6-cyl

Key would not release from ignition after parking. Took to dealership. I advised dealership, possible shifter assembly and shift interlock cable problem, per other comments? I just received a call from them and they advised there was a piece broken in steering column and they needed to replace whole steering column. Problem 1 is there is a supposed national back order with an undetermined date of when they will get it in. 2nd issue, is they had no solution on how to get key out of ignition so I could properly secure my Jeep from theft or help with any solution to this other than....lock and unlock with spare key, since it is key fob that is in the ignition. 3rd issue............the cost $1240.65 with parts and labor..........I will be checking this out with other service centers and repair shops to make sure before I consent to any repairs with anyone.

- Speedway, IN, USA

Dec 112012

Liberty 6-cyl

I was leaving my bank and entered my vehicle and proceeded to start it with my key. My key turned and would not start my vehicle. My battery is about a 1 month old and I checked to see if there was a loose connection or corrosion (connection tight and no corrosion). I checked all fluids (fine), I just had oil, oil filter and breather filter changed a few weeks ago and they check all fluids. I turned lites, wipers, turn signals and radio on (worked fine), horn worked. With my key in the ignition, I had no problem turning the steering wheel. I opened my driver's door and saw it show up as "door" on the dash panel and noticed engine lite on. I depressed and held brake pedal down and was able to shift to neutral and back to park with no problem. I had a friend come and look at my Liberty, and he checked and did everything I did. We both thought it was the ignition switch. I informed the bank that I was having car problems and have to leave it in their parking lot over nite. I had the Jeep Liberty towed to a Jeep dealership in stuart Florida the next day (12/12/2012). They informed me that the pin in the ignition switch broke off and fell inside and that they would need to replace the whole steering column. And it would cost over $1000. I was informed the next day (12/13/2012) that they could not locate a new steering column and that they would need to replace the steering column with a used one. Now it will cost $800. I researched and noticed that other Jeep Liberty owners have had problems with the ignition switch. I hope I am not being scammed. My Jeep Liberty has about 50000 miles on it. As I think about it, wouldn't the ignition switch need to be replaced and not the whole steering column? my Jeep is still at the dealership and I hope to get it back on 12/17/2012.

- Hobe Sound, FL, USA