2006 Jeep Liberty suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Liberty:

2006 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 192012

Liberty

The lower control arm and ball joint failed per F 23 recall of Jeep Chrysler and damaged the tire and rim which had to be replaced. We filed a claim with Chrysler customer assistance on Aug 20, 2014 and they were processing it and told us they would reimburse the $1146.83 not later than Oct 20, 2014. We had not heard anything from ccassistance so we telephoned today. Brad, the agent, could not find any record and also said that the recall was completed and that there would not be any reimbursement to us for the repairs we had to make. That is not in Accord with the recall and furthermore, the lower control arm and ball joints failed again on August 18, 2014 and the safford Chrysler Jeep Dodge of springfield Virginia replaced the control arms and ball joints on both the left and right side under a F23 recall warranty at no charge to us. We request that NHTSA contact Chrysler and require them to reimburse us for the $1146.83 which we paid out of pocket.

- Falls Church, VA, USA

Dec 012014

Liberty

While driving veh. Slowy went over a speed bump heard a loud bang. Upon inspection noticed that rear trailing / control arm. Had separated / rusted. Unable to drive at speed or control steering. Did not crash though.

- Gastonia , NC, USA

Dec 022014

Liberty

We are the original owners of the Jeep Liberty 2006 that had a recall on the ball joints and stabilizer bars in 2006. Of course, we had the vehicle repaired when the Jeep was only a few months old. It may have had less than 1000 miles on it at the time. When visiting the dealer on Dec 2, 2014 for an oil change and tire balance. I was informed that the ball joints on driver's and passenger's side of Jeep were in need of replacement at a cost of $1100 (we only have 61,600 miles on Jeep) I was shocked that a vehicle that has been garage kept and only driven by the mom of the family around town of about 6000 miles a year could incur such a drastic problem. This is a valid safety issue with the integrity of the recall. The repair should have a lifetime warranty or at least 100K miles. There is absolutely no way, these ball joints disintegrated without being faulty from the being. My question lies if my vehicle was really taken care of, or was it just looked at because it was brand new at the time. Our Liberty has had full synthetic oil changes and treated with the utmost care. So it really saddens me that Chrysler has such "safety" issues. Of all things that can go wrong with a car, when it refers to a previous recall, it's obvious the issue was never really addressed.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Nov 142014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while entering a parking space, the front lower ball joint became fractured. As a result, the frame came down and rested on the front driver's side wheel. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 06V288000 (suspension). However, the parts were unavailable to remedy the vehicle. The dealer was made aware of the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 104,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Ruma, IL, USA

Sep 242014

Liberty

Zubecks Chrysler/Ford in oscoda mi 48750 refuses to fix Jeep with new hitch as stated in recall there service dept has been screwing up my Jeep everytime I bring it in for repair or recall and now wont do the recall

- Oscoda, MI, USA

Apr 082014

Liberty 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Liberty. The contact mentioned that when the steering wheel was turned right or left, the vehicle would make a loud popping noise. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the lower ball joints needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and made the contact aware that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 06V288000 (suspension). The failure mileage was 141,000. Updated 10/22/2014

- Plano, TX, USA

Jul 152007

Liberty

I was in stop-and-go commute traffic traveling approximately 15 mph. Traffic started moving a little faster when the car in front of me braked hard, I pressed hard on the brake pedal and my Jeep lurched forward before braking hitting the car in front of me. The road was dry and there were no skid marks.the way the Jeep lurched forward it felt like the brake pads were worn out or the rotors were warped or the shocks were faulty. We had bought the Jeep Liberty new less than one year earlier. I was able to drive the Jeep home. That was a Friday and by Monday my stomach became so distended I could barely move. I had been in contact with kaiser advice nurses throughout the weekend and that Monday I was hospitalized. 2 weeks in the hospital resulted in the first of 3 surgeries that changed my life and my families life permanently. Surgery 1 was an illeostomy in July 2007, surgery 2 was J-pouch surgery in December 2007. Surgery 3 was abdominal reconstruction surgery in September 2013. I have permanent nerve damage in my stomach, painful scar tissues throughout my upper torso, a degenerating disc in my lower back and ongoing abdominal and hip pain. The physical and emotional toll this has had on my family is tremendous. My 2006 Jeep Liberty has been determined to be a lemon by the state of California.

- Pinole, CA, USA

Jul 042014

Liberty

Front lower drivers side ball joint broke while driving, was told by mechanic that all upper and lower ball joints are bad and need to be replaced..as well as rear suspension replacement

- Snyder, OK, USA

Jun 292014

Liberty

The wheel came off of my 2006 Jeep Liberty renegade as I was driving in a residential neighborhood, I was told by a mechanic the ball joint came off and broke in half.

- Snyder, OK, USA

Apr 152014

Liberty 4WD 4-cyl Diesel

As I had just exited the Florida's turnpike North bound at kendall drive in miami and attempted to enter the town and country mall at about 20 mph, the front passenger side ball joint of my 2006 crd 4X4 Jeep Liberty came apart causing the vehicle to lock the front wheel as the steering arm with part of the ball joint enter and landed inside the rim and the tire, perforating it and preventing the tire from turning causing the Jeep to almost buck like a horse sending us head first towards the windshield. Thankfully, it did not happen 45 seconds earlier when my family and I were on the express way driving 65 mph...it would have been catastrophic! this equipment/part failure is known as recall F-23 by Chrysler/Jeep and they are well aware of it!! I was never aware of such recall !! Chrysler/Jeep, after one month at their dealer continue to refuse to fix the collateral damage on the vehicle (rim, etc) created by their defective part!! using as an excuse that the factory warranty is over when it has nothing to do with that. Chrysler sent an "independent" inspector to view the vehicle. This "independent" inspector's bill is paid by Chrysler. This equipment failure is extremely dangerous!! and could be fatal!!! please help!! at this time I only want my Jeep fixed properly, and that Chrysler honors the traditional Jeep quality and commitment to their customers!! a letter has been sent to Chrysler claims after multiple attempts to solve this problem in person and via telephone. No results!! updated 06/04/14

- Miami, FL, USA

Mar 292014

Liberty 6-cyl

We purchased a used 2006 Jeep Liberty last year. Last night we went to drive it up the road and the right front passenger side tire disengaged from the steering knuckle and the ball joint disconnected. Luckily enough we weren't driving very fast otherwise it could have caused injury considering the tire is now almost at a 90 degree angle and we can't move the car. I understand the statute of limitations is 8 years after the original purchase date, I would like to know if I can get a manufacturer repair done free of charge, and would rather have it done at a dealer knowing they would have the correct parts. Normally my 1 year old is in the car, luckily he wasn't last night, but would like to know if I am entitled to repairs.

- Williamsburg, OH, USA

Mar 012014

Liberty 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the vehicle was traveling approximately 35 mph when the front passenger's side lower ball joint suddenly became fractured. The manufacturer was contacted and advised that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number 06V288000 (suspension). The failure mileage was 119,000.

- Windermere, FL, USA

Feb 262014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, he heard a loud noise as the vehicle came to a complete stop. The contact mentioned that after inspecting the vehicle he noticed that the front passenger's side bolt joint was fractured and punctured the wheel. Also, the contact stated that the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 06V288000 (suspension) for the same failure. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 69,000.

- Alexandria , VA, USA

Jan 012014

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

2006 Jeep Liberty. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle front end alignment and brake problems. The consumer stated the vehicle pulled to the left at times, with or without the cruise control on. Also, the cruise control would not disengage, when he tapped the brake.

- North Tazewell, VA, USA

Jan 062014

Liberty 6-cyl

We never had any problems with the steering on our 2006 Jeep Liberty until we had a severe cold snap (Jeep was bought in fl and now resides in de) and then all of a sudden it developed a screeching, straining noise in the steering and all around driving.it didn't matter what speed we drove the noise was always there and consistent, whether you turned a corner, put on the brakes, backed up or drove on the road normally almost sounded like the brakes were dragging but we had the brakes changed in April 2013. Took Jeep to our auto repair shop and they diagnosed the vehicle with bad upper and lower ball joints. Don't understand why this would happen all of a sudden but in ended up a very costly repair. Enjoy our Jeep but if there was any recalls for ball joints we were never notified.

- Millsboro, DE, USA

Dec 022013

Liberty

2006 Jeep Liberty. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle broken front ball joint. The consumer stated a recall was issued. However, he was not informed by Chrysler in brazil.

- Washington, DC, USA

Sep 102013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the vehicle exhibited an abnormal noise from the lower control arm and the rear end of the vehicle became unstable. The vehicle was diagnosed as the lower control arm and bushings needing replacing but the defect was not remedied. The contact was informed that the upper control arm and bushings also needed to be replaced. No repairs were performed. The manufacturer was notified and no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 84,000.

- Puyallup, WA, USA

Apr 112013

Liberty 6-cyl

The lower and upper ball joints are deteriorating and cause inner wear on both front tires. The car had an alignment and new tires less than one year old. The accelerated inner wear and cupping resulted in a blowout. This is a safety issue. The Jeep Liberty has serious suspension problems. When I spoke to the Jeep/Chrysler cooperation, they were unwilling to assist in fixing the problem. When completing research, this seems to be a common problem with 2006 Jeep liberties. Jeep fails to recognize that the VIN model of Jeep has a defect in lower and upper balls joints for my model. I am very disappointed in the Jeep company for the lack of attention and assistance for such a major safety issue.

- Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Jun 102013

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

2006 Jeep Liberty. Consumer writes in regards to suspension system failure. The consumer stated he granddaughter drove the vehicle to the store, however, when she returned, the vehicle wouldn't move. When she tried to backup, the right front suspension collapsed. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The service writer stated the underside looked rusty. An inspection revealed, the right front control arm had collapsed. The brake line and wheel speed sensor were replaced. Also, the serpentine belt was cracked and had to be replaced.

- West Dennis, MA, USA

Aug 152013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Liberty. The vehicle was parked when the contact moved the steering wheel and heard a noise from the front of the vehicle. The contact inspected the vehicle and noticed that the ball joints were split. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the incident. The approximate failure mileage was 37,000.

- Metairie, LA, USA