2007 Jeep Liberty electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Jeep Liberty:

2007 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Sep 282016

Since I'm limited to word use I'll try to keep it short loss of power to turns off and doesn't want to restart, cruise control, mirrors, half of fuse box, windows off and on, ignition starts on it's own when in the start position, traction light now comes on, electronic throttle control light has come on, part time light stays on when in 2 wd. I can feel how it's trying to switch back and forth. This vehicle is becoming a lemon. I've changed the fuel pump, crank and cam sensors and also changed switches in the steering column. In which none of fixed the problems. After talking to the dealership I was told the wiring harness needs to be changed but that part is discontinued.... the vehicle isn't 10 years or older and after researching these issues there are many many Liberty owners with these same issues. How can we fix our vehicles if this part isn't available to us or the dealership"?" Jeep has known about this problem all alone but doesn't want to have to do a recall on every since Jeep to fix this issue but I will not buy another Jeep unless they fix the issue.. I love the vehicle other than the problems I'm having. This happens at any given time without notice and is becoming worst. If I lose power and I'm driving this could cause an accident with lots of injuries if not death. Please make Jeep fix our vehicles. I can't afford to buy a new vehicle. This body is in great shape

- Beaumont, MS, USA

May 202016

I was driving on the interstate and several warning lights appeared on the dash board. I took the vehicle to the local repair shop and found out that the airbag clockspring was no longer operational. In addition, the anti lock brake feature, cruise control, and airbag are no longer operational. I have been looking for this part for quite some time and it is not available in most cases. The original cost for the clockspring ranged from $80 to $130 depending on the dealer. I have been able to find one clockspring and the dealer wanted $650 for the part plus installation, and he only had one available.

- Oak Island, NC, USA

Aug 052016

I bought this vehicle on November 29,2014 a year later the Jeep start breaking down such as overheated and waterpump engine light electrical keep going off power windows seem off track all four windows.pressure to drive it not pick up speed limit

- Bedford, OH, USA

Apr 122016

With key in on position it tries and will crank by itself. Also not getting power to some of the fuse box and the part time light stays on when in 2wd. When asked Jeep dealer I was told they never hear of this and when researching the problem there were tons of people with the same problem and no result of what to do. All issues they just want to charge thousands of dollars to fix.

- Beaumont, MS, USA

Aug 092016

The windows in the car have suddenly fallen several times since the car was purchased in 2007. The first time (2007)the car was under warranty and the problem was addressed. Another window regulator was replace under the extended warranty period. Since the warranty ended, the windows have fallen several times. Once I paid for the repair since the extended warranty had ended, but right rear window fell in 2015(had been repaired the first time in 2007) and the right front fell today(2016). The windows fell while driving both on highways and city streets which is a major distraction while driving. The window fell today while driving 10 mph and making a left hand turn. The window regulators were faulty when the vehicle was built and the components used to repair them have the same issues.

- Phoenixville, PA, USA

Feb 202014

Windows fall into door while driving. Veh is over 7 yrs. Therefore Jeep will not over the cost to replace faulty part.

- Westwood, CA, USA

Jul 262016

Vehicle was parked in parking lot and would not start when turning key. No sound or movement. Mechanic noted broken rod in steering column. Jeep would not replace inexpensive rod and only sold entire $700 steering column.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Jul 282016

My rear passenger side window will not close. I have had ongoing problems with my driver side window for years. The company claims the warranty is expired. I have seen thousands of complaints online about Jeep windows malfunctioning.

- Hertford, NC, USA

Sep 012015

Aside from the numerous problems with the windows actuators failing (6 times) as mentioned in many complaints on this site; esim valve replacement due to a check engine light constantly on; a complete transmission rebuild (at about 60,000 miles); sunroof failure; back tailgate door failing to unlock or open; gas spillage problem when filling up and the hitch recall, I am now having problems with the door lock actuators failing. I've already had to replace the one on passenger door behind the driver. Now the driver's door lock has also failed. This was discovered after a somebody rifled through the items in the car. Nothing was stolen but I was sure I locked it. Sure enough when I tested the locks, the door did not lock or unlock using the key fob, the door lock button on the inside or the auto lock feature when going over 15mph.. all the other doors working at this time. But who knows when I'll have to have the other 2 doors fixed. First door failure date is in the "when dis this happen" section.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Dec 012006

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while driving at a low speed, the front driver's side ball joints and multiple unknown parts fractured from the vehicle. In addition, the contact noticed that the front driver's side tire was leaning inwards. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. In addition, the contact stated that while driving at unknown speed, all windows independently opened and failed to close. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer and an independent mechanic numerous times however, the contact was uncertain what parts needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired on numerous occasions but the failure recurred each time. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 132016

My 2007 Jeep Liberty sunroof is leaking for the 2nd time in 3 months. The first time I went and got the drainage tubes cleared out by the dealer. It started leaking again 2 days ago, and when it leaks, water gets into my car. My mechanic opened it up and found the entire sunroof is actually broken. He suspects that the dealer new about the issue of the sunroof but didn't tell me. There is a pending lawsuit against Chrysler for this issue, however they are refusing to acknowledge the problem and are not offering compensation at this time.

- Walnut Creek, CA, USA

Jun 272008

Power windows don't roll up straight, window lift plate breaks, causing window to drop down inside door.this is a constant problem with 2007 Liberty.occurs when standing still, or in motion.this has occurred 4 times, between 6-27-2008 and 10-7-2015.

- Newbury Park, CA, USA

Aug 142015

The ac began blowing hot assuming it just needed service took to my mechanic, he said the ac light on the button on the dash was also not working but freon pressure was fine, take it to dealership. Took into dealership informed me that it needs HVAC control that it had gone out caused clutch to seize and then caused compressor to have a small fire. They are recommending replacement of both at 463 for HVAC control head and ac compressor at 738 for a grand total of approx. 1200 for repairs. This HVAC system has been known to catch fire in the passenger area and has been recalled but they keep telling me that my vehicle VIN does not match the ones that have been recalled. This could have resulted in a dangerous vehicle fire and this is my family vehicle that my 20yr old and 10 year old son often ride in.

- Kempner, TX, USA

Feb 062015

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the front driver side and rear windows failed to go up or down while using the window switches. Also, the front passenger side and rear windows moved very slowly when the window switch was activated. The contact stated that the driver side window regulator failed, causing the window to open without the window switch being depressed. In addition, the contact stated that the TPMS warning light was illuminated even though the tire was inflated to the manufacturer's vehicle specification. The vehicle was not taken for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 110,000.

- Stewart, MN, USA

Jun 022008

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Liberty. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle would abruptly shift into gear and cause the vehicle to jerk. The contact also indicated that the traction control sensor light erroneously illuminated while operating the vehicle. The engine temperature and ABS sensor lights illuminated. The front end of the vehicle made a grinding noise, the radio was hot to the touch, and the ceiling light suddenly illuminated while operating the vehicle. The dealer was unable to diagnose the cause of the failures. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 12,000.

- Gainesville, GA, USA

Apr 022015

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the vehicle was vandalized, which caused the vehicle to have required repairs. The insurance company covered the dealer replacing the ignition switch, wiring, instrument panel, and the 4 wheel drive function, reprogrammed the master key, along with additional repairs. Months later, the service stability traction control warning lamp flashed and then remained lit. The contact also heard an abnormal noise while traveling over 40 mph each time the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who indicated that the clock spring assembly needed to be replaced, but the part was on backorder. The contact also checked with a second dealer who also indicated that the part was on backorder. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact continued to experience the failure while waiting for the part. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 120,000.

- Brockton, MA, USA

Nov 032014

Liberty 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the front driver side window failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the window was repaired. The contact mentioned that all the windows were replaced on the vehicle on nine separate occasions. Also, the contact stated that a rubber plug also failed which allowed water inside the cabin of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer, where the rubber plug was replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and did not offer any assistance. The failure mileage was approximatley 60,000. Updated 9/21/2015

- Edmond, OK, USA

Mar 032015

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Clock spring controlling air bag, horn and cruise control failure. My cruise control went out but I was told this could cause the air bag to go off without warning. Jeep dealer said they have no parts and no fix available at this time! when and if this part on back order comes in it is going to cost an estimated $400 to fix. This should be a re-call as our safety is on the line. Some 700 on back order as of today.

- San Diego, CA, USA

May 142014

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Liberty. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system, gasoline, structure) however, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure. The VIN was not provided.

- Pueblo, CO, USA

Nov 262014

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

• 1,127,546 miles
I was driving to my dad's for thanksgiving, and on the pa turnpike my Jeep suddenly dropped from 60mph to 20mph and under the hood looked like smoke. I immediately pulled over and popped the hood and noticed the whole driver's side near the battery was engulfed in flames. I immediately called 911 but because I was on the turnpike they came first. I had left my hood up and because it was raining the fire went out. The turnpike official cancelled the fire truck and we waited for the tow truck. The Jeep was towed to the closest garage to my house but they have had it over 2 weeks and I am concerned that they might not know how to fix it. I saw a similar problem on a Jeep chat room and this guys Jeep was totaled because he had to wait for the firetruck and they had to put out the fire.

- Bristol, PA, USA