2.1

2008 Jeep Liberty engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Jeep Liberty:

2008 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments

Oct 192016

Liberty

Amongst other issues: Vehicle fails to start occasionally, from both cold and warm states. From completely off, turning the key begins ignition but often does not start the vehicle. Engine sputters but does not complete the start. On some occasions, depressing the gas pedal while trying to start the vehicle works, leading me to believe this is one of the widely reported tipm issues plaguing Jeep from 2007-2014. I conclude the fuel pump fails to receive a signal to start from the tipm which causes the ignition failure. In addition, I have had multiple electrical issues including doors locking and unlocking when the opposite corresponding buttons are pressed, windshield wipers turning on when the turn signal is used, warning lights on the dashboard reporting non-issues, failure of power steering, and failure to accelerate when the gas pedal is depressed. Please address this issue as soon as possible.

- Clinton, TN, USA

May 152010

Liberty

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Liberty. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle overheated without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the water pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred multiple times. The vehicle was repaired three additional times. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 42,976.

- Parrotsville, TN, USA

Nov 252015

Liberty

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Liberty. Without warning, the temperature gauge, water pump, and various other warning lights randomly flickered and the vehicle stalled. The dealer was notified of the failures and provided no specific diagnosis. The contact had the vehicle inspected by an independent mechanic who replaced the water pump, belt, and thermostat. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Rosebush, MI, USA

Jun 032015

Liberty

Was informed by my dealership that the crossmember that goes between the frame and holds the engine and transmission in place was rusted out and needed replacing. Was also informed that there was a recall for the part on 2007 Jeep patriots, but not on 2008 and I'd have to pay for the repair. Was told not to drive the vehicle until repaired as it was a serious safety issue!!. what choice did I have? I paid... through the nose for something that would have been covered had I bought a 2007 model. I was given this website to make a complaint. Additionally, have had issues with the door locks not working (pop up on their own while driving or parked) and automatic windows not always working (had to have have some "cylinder" for the electronics in the driver's side door replaced.) the "check engine" light still shows 'on' because a part that's on "backorder" in the back by where the gas is filled is rusted and needs replacing.

- Howell, MI, USA

Nov 172010

Liberty

09/5/2010 after my purchase of my Jeep I took it to brandon courtesy Chrysler Dodge Jeep, I have had nothing but problems with my Jeep since then they damaged my Jeep and refused to take ownership of all they had done. I keep telling management of the issues no real response do to my spinal cord injury no other choice in dealership mantinance. 08/2014 last yr I was on I75 going about 70 when my slider roof flow open taking parts with it.I paid them over 100.$ plus they changed my insurance over $2000. I have taken it back over ten times it still leaking. And stained from the leaks. They no longer reunion my calls. Plus they did not replace the slidder roof as charged but repaired.my batteries don't last. Since my first visit with brandon courtesy Chrysler Dodge Jeep dealership I had told them of the exssive wind noise. The list goes on I have copies of all said and did repairs that don't match the reprints I requested. Please help

- Brandon, FL, USA

May 182015

Liberty

1st incident occurred in March 2013. I was driving to work in a 25mph zone. Suddenly, the horn started beeping, windshield wipers (front and rear) were going, washer fluid was pouring out, power door locks where going on and off. Had to pull over because I could not see with the fluid spraying out at full speed. I turn the car off and removed key from the ignition and this continued to go on for 5 minutes. Brought the car to manfredi dealership. They replaced the tipm module which was very costly. A year and 1/2 later on May 18, 2015, I experienced the same exact problem. There is definitely a major flaw with this part. It's extremely dangerous when this occurs on a highway/turnpike doing the speed limit. This part should be recalled immediately. I should not be responsible to pay for yet another tipm. When I called the dealer they explained it's only a 1 year/12 months guarantee, but this part should last at least 5 years. Really"?"

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Nov 192013

Liberty

The vehicle's lights, horn, wipers, radio will start flashing inexplicably. When turning off the motor it continues. 2-3 times the motor cut out too. This happens about 8-10 times a year.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Mar 272015

Liberty

Vehicle shuts off while driving without notice and will not start right away leave set for a 1/2 hour or so and it starts back up but horn blows wipers come on and doors will not unlock automatically this could be a real problem if in an accident due to shutting off on the freeway and I can not exit the vehicle.I was told that the problem is in the (tipm) and that there have been many problems with this but there is no recall. This in my opinion is a huge safety concern.

- Ebensburg, PA, USA

Nov 182011

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The car decides when it wants to start. It just makes a clunking noise, after about 8 tries it will start. I have replaced the battery, starter and wiring harness. The doors just started to not lock or unlock a few months back. They told me to change the tipm. I have put in well over $1000 an now they want another $500.

- Tamworth, NH, USA

Dec 202014

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Sometimes the starter will crank the engine but will not start, using the remote start or the key. Also the security alarm will go off while trying to use the remote start from time to time. Other liberties with this and other similar "common" problems are coverd by service bulletins but not ours.

- Belton, MO, USA

Jan 102015

Liberty

Car would not start after being parked for about 45 minutes. We guessed it was a battery, starter or alternator. Had towed to dealership and was advised that the tipm was bad and needed to be replaced. After further review, I see that I was a lucky one as the tipm has all manner of issues when it starts to go bad. The dealer is telling me I have to wait 3 weeks for a backordered part due to a national recall of other model years. This is going to cost an unreasonable amount in both repair and rental car costs.

- Lake In The Hills, IL, USA

Oct 152014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the headlights flickered, the horn activated independently, and the windshield wipers with wiper fluid independently activated. Additionally, the vehicle jerked and stalled. The vehicle could be restarted. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician diagnosed that the tipm needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Mc Donohue, OH, USA

Apr 162014

Liberty 6-cyl

Vehicle will loose power while at hwy speed. As if slamming on brakes dash lights light up as your seatbelt locks and you slam forward. Headlights will turn off while inside dash lights remain on. Must use brights to drive or pull over. Windows, seats move themselves. While vehicle is off and unattended. Sometimes while pulling in a parking spot car lunges forward. Sometimes while sitting at a red light it just powers off and must be restarted. Evidence of a leak somewhere can not be located. The leak has stained a little on the inside roof.

- Glenshaw, PA, USA

Aug 312012

Liberty 6-cyl

Check engine light come on and gas cap light also come on the auto start will not work & dash light gets real dime also gps light get real dime/ and there is a real strong smell of gas that comes inside the vehicle while going down the road. The vehicle has been to 4 difference Chrysler dealer ship and computer has been replaced sensor have all been replaced gas tank replaced gas cap replaced.this vehicle has been for these problem 11 times and has never been fixed called Chrysler customer service 6 different times all we get is the run around. The dealer ships drive the vehicle and have put 1,500 mile on the vehicle driving it. Need some know to why this can not be fixed.

- Charleston, MO, USA

Jun 162013

Liberty 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the vehicle overheated after running for a short time. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that the engine needed to be replaced because the water pump had failed. The contact inquired about NHTSA recall campaign id number: 13V121000 (air bags, power train and structure) but was informed that the engine damage was not related. The failure and current mileages were 87,000.

- Stockbridge , GA, USA

Jun 012012

Liberty

Power dropped and engine ran rugged- not able to pull into oncoming traffic. According to the dealer I needed to replace all 4 oxygen sensors and the tcm.

- Parkville, MD, USA

Nov 072011

Liberty 6-cyl

While driving my Jeep Liberty, the wipers and horn came on suddenly and the entire electrical panel lit up. After taking it to the dealer several times, they finally determined it was the tipm module that needed to be replaced. The part was backordered. I have since found there is a national backorder (since 2010) with over 270+ in my area alone. The issue became progressively worse as I would get in my car and it would not start. Unlocking the vehicle appears to cause the automobile to engage something electrical (though I only open it manually - not with the keyless entry) which results in the vehicle acting as though it is already on. Most recently, while driving on the freeway at 70mph, I had a jolt before the wipers/horn went off and the emergency brake light was on. I believe the system is now engaging the emergency brake. I have discontinued driving the vehicle as a result. I believe this vehicle is a lemon. There are multiple complaints online with many other Jeep owners experiencing the same issues.

- Clinton, MS, USA