2.5

2009 Jeep Liberty body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Jeep Liberty:

2009 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments

Sep 072015

Liberty

2009 Jeep Liberty with the "skyslider" roof (retractable). While increasing vehicle speed on a highway road, one of the four (4) arms that secures the roof to the top of the car, sheered. The incident causes the roof to collapse. Fearing for the safety of other drivers nearby, I slowed my vehicle to 60 mph. When it was safe for me to do so, I pulled over to inspect the vehicle. Upon inspecting the roof, I concluded that the breakage was linked to an arm/lever, whose composition is mainly casted aluminum. The vehicle was eventually taken to a repair shop. While at the repair shop, I was informed that the several other people had experienced the same thing with the skyslider roof and they were surprised to see that Chrysler has yet to issue a safety recall for these particular models. The repair for this roof will cost greater than $2,500.

- Killeen, TX, USA

Aug 052015

Liberty

I attempted to open the skyslider roof and nothing happened. I attempted it a few times, then stopped for fear of not being able to close it if it did actually open. I started researching this issue online and I have found that Chrysler is well aware of the defect with every model of Jeep that has the skyslider option. Not only do they not stand behind their defect and issue recalls for their customers, but they charge thousands to fix a potential safety issue. I bought an extended warranty and need to pay for a diagnostic just to be told it won't be covered. Scam. I'm none too pleased. A class action lawsuit needs to happen.

- Harrisburg, PA, USA

Jul 222015

Liberty

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the slider roof hesitated to operate. In addition, the contact stated that there was a leak on the driver side and the rearview mirror. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, where it was diagnosed that the right and left side pins were fractured and the slider roof needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 104,968.

- Thomasville, NC, USA

Jul 232011

Liberty

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the vehicle was leaking water from the interior driver side floorboard. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Philpot, KY, USA

Apr 292013

Liberty 6-cyl

The body has a noticeable lean to the driver side. The driver side is one inch lower than the passenger side. I had new shocks and struts installed thinking that this would bring the body back to a level position. I also removed all extra gear from the vehicle to eliminate the possibility of extra weight, but the vehicle still has the same amount of lean to the driver side. The measurements are taken on level ground. The measurements are taken from the ground to the wheel well lip through the center line of the wheel. The driver side, front and rear is one inch lower than the passenger side front and rear.

- Floral City , FL, USA

Jun 012009

Liberty 6-cyl

I bought my Jeep brand new in April of 2009. When it was just a few months old, I started experiencing a phantom 'ding' that would normally be associated with low fuel, check engine, etc. But when the ding would sound, no warning lights would appear. Tried to have dealer find problem, they couldn't replicate since it was so random, so it never got fixed. Around April of this year (2013) the ding still continues to drive me nuts, and now my 'espoff, ' '4WD, ' 'service 4WD, ' and '4low' lights come on and off at random'sometimes every ten seconds while I'm driving. Also, my radio/nav screen system will randomly turn itself off and restart. Took it to the dealer, they said they have gotten this same complaint from a lot of other people, but there is no recall issued. I was told the problem with the stereo alone is a $1,200 fix and that I'm better off going to a car audio dealer and getting something custom done. I can't believe there isn't a recall for this, it is very distracting to have all these lights coming on and off while driving, not to mention unnerving. Also, my lift gate window has always leaked around the seal, even after the dealer replaced it. They said they tested it under high pressure wash and it didn't leak, then a few days later it rained and there was water all over the inside of my lift gate.

- Los Alamos , NM, USA

Jul 072012

Liberty

The contact owns a 2009 Jeep Liberty. While parked the contact depressed the switch that controlled the sky slider roof and noticed that the roof would not close properly. The dealer was made aware of the failure and stated the sky slider roof cable may have to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 36,000.

- Alhambra, CA, USA