2009 Jeep Liberty miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Jeep Liberty:

2009 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments

May 012016

Problems with the tipm. First to go was the door locking system, it will not lock automatically. Next, the ac/DC current outlet is no longer operational. Now, the washer fluid will not operate, and yes, its full. Concern over what's next to go. Research shows issues with Chrysler's tipm system is multiple vehicles, some recalls, though not mine, some lawsuits.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Sep 072015

2009 Jeep Liberty with the "skyslider" roof (retractable). While increasing vehicle speed on a highway road, one of the four (4) arms that secures the roof to the top of the car, sheered. The incident causes the roof to collapse. Fearing for the safety of other drivers nearby, I slowed my vehicle to 60 mph. When it was safe for me to do so, I pulled over to inspect the vehicle. Upon inspecting the roof, I concluded that the breakage was linked to an arm/lever, whose composition is mainly casted aluminum. The vehicle was eventually taken to a repair shop. While at the repair shop, I was informed that the several other people had experienced the same thing with the skyslider roof and they were surprised to see that Chrysler has yet to issue a safety recall for these particular models. The repair for this roof will cost greater than $2,500.

- Killeen, TX, USA

Jul 302015

The roof and coolant reservoir are leaking. On July 30, 2015, I brought my 2009 Jeep Liberty to phillips Chrysler Jeep Dodge for repairs. Per test results, the sun roof drains were clogged; however, no leaks were detected in the coolant reservoir. I am continuously filling the reservoir with coolant which continues to leak from under the vehicle and possible on the driver's side floor. The roof continues to leak, but the leak is now in the hatch area. Also, the locks on the driver side door will sometimes not unlock when I used the handle. I have an appointment scheduled at phillips on August 26, 2015.

- Citrus Springs, FL, USA

Aug 052015

I attempted to open the skyslider roof and nothing happened. I attempted it a few times, then stopped for fear of not being able to close it if it did actually open. I started researching this issue online and I have found that Chrysler is well aware of the defect with every model of Jeep that has the skyslider option. Not only do they not stand behind their defect and issue recalls for their customers, but they charge thousands to fix a potential safety issue. I bought an extended warranty and need to pay for a diagnostic just to be told it won't be covered. Scam. I'm none too pleased. A class action lawsuit needs to happen.

- Harrisburg, PA, USA

May 292014

The Jeep Liberty had an option called the sky-slider roof. I have seen many, many problems with the roof and I am positive that Chrysler corporation is well aware of the defect with this sky-slider roof that malfunctions, locks and will not work. Our roof was stuck closed and taken to a Jeep dealership for repair. They had to break a part to check what needed repair. It turns out that our extended warranty expired at 75,000 miles, but due to the weather, this roof cannot be opened, according to the owners manual unless the temperature is below 40 degrees F. with that, we could not get the Jeep in to be looked at until April, thus the vehicle at time of inspection of the roof was at 75,249 miles, over the warranty. They could not repair at this time and now I had to tape the roof closed so it does not open while driving or leak if raining. From research on the sky-slider roof problems on the internet, I have found that I am not the only, but one of hundreds if not thousads that have this problem that Chrysler would not give any monitary assistance in the repair that will cost approximately $3,000 to repair. Please assist in having Chrysler corporation recall or refund all owners of this sky-slider roof who have had the repairs completed.

- Allentown, PA, USA

Jan 192011

I purchased a new Jeep Liberty 2009 in Jun of 2010 in January of 2011 while attempting to put air in the rear tire the TPMS valve stem exploded and shot across the garage. In September of 2011 the TPMS valve stem disintegrated while the car was parked in the garage and shot the parts across the garage both of these where replaced by Chrysler under warranty. On May 21st 2012 while travelling on the highway at 65 the TPMS valve on the rear tire disintegrated and caused immediate loss of air from the rear tire, causing the vehicle to become unstable, I was able to control it and drive the vehicle to the side of the road. On inspection the valve was completely gone. This valve is being replaced by Chrysler but now as the vehicle is outside of warranty I have to foot the bill. I have driven hundreds of thousands of miles over the last 23 years and have never had any issues with tire valve stems to have 3 such major failures over 2 years and the last one on the highway which could have led to a serious accident. It appears that there is a design flaw with the TPMS valves being used by Chrysler on this age of vehicle and from what I have seen on car forums this seems to be the case for many Chrysler group vehicle owners with TPMS systems.

- Ashley, OH, USA