2.5

2010 Jeep Liberty engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Jeep Liberty:

2010 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments

Apr 152016

Liberty

2010 Jeep Liberty spontaneously caught on fire and exploded on Friday April 15, 2016. My stepdad and I were out and we stopped and picked up a pizza on the way home and everything was just fine the whole drive home, no smell, no driving issues, no smoke, no overheating dings, no funky sounds. We pulled into the driveway to park and turned off the car, my stepdad got out first, and when I opened my door I said żooh it smells like fall!ż (I thought the neighbors were having a bonfire or something.) then I saw it and told him żthe car is smoking!ż and I got out of the car and got away from it. He tried to open the hood thinking it was a radiator or something but it was so hot it burned his fingers and then he lifted it a bit with a screwdriver as we went to get the fire extinguisher and we saw the fire start shooting out of the sides. It was so hot and so fast. I screamed at him to get him away from it because I knew it was going to explode, and as soon as he was a bit away from it, the hood did explode up and then it started really shooting flames out and and that's when I called 911. There were several more explosions while we waited on the firefighters. It was totally engulfed in flames in 5 minutes. There is nothing left but a shell, and it was one layer from burning our house down. If we were in it another 60 seconds, weżD have taken that first explosion to the faces. We could have died and we almost lost our house, our barn and another car inside the barn. IżM furious. Other people could die.

- Greensburg, IN, USA

Aug 012015

Liberty

After my battery died and was replaced, I started the engine and it had developed a knocking noise in the engine. I have spoken to several mechanics and researched on the internet, the 3.7L Jeep engine is bad. At around 90,000 miles, the rods go out and the engine has to be replaced. Luckily for me, I was at my house when this happened, but the vehicle is not usable. I have heard where the engine has quit working on the highway for the same reason. The manufacturer knows about the problem but won't do anything.

- Monroe, WA, USA

May 302015

Liberty

I had original heater core replaced due to fogging of windshield, no heat and smell of antifreeze during Nov 2014 with approximately 48000 miles. Heater core went again. Started to hear rattle under car in May 2015. Set up to have Jeep looked over at a dealership. On the way to the dealer temp guage went up and back down the hot! engine seized. I had to pay over 4600 dollars to have engine rebuilt not replaced as well as heater control and heater core replaced. Chrysler is denying that there is a defect in the vehicle. There was never any sign of coolant leak on my garage floor

- Algonac, MI, USA

Mar 022015

Liberty

The contact owns a 2010 Jeep Liberty. After inspecting the vehicle, it was found that there was antifreeze leakage. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 77,000. Updated 04/06/16

- Plymouth , MA, USA

Jan 052015

Liberty

Coolant leak- took to carmax service in hillside, il for diagnosis informed that the coolant was leaking from water pump. Service consultant informed me that he spoke to a guy from jack phelan dealership in countryside, il and was informed that by searching my VIN number in there database that there is a recall on the water pump for my 2010 Jeep Liberty. States that coolant leaks from weep hole in water pump, was then informed that I can bring my vehicle in to be service at no charge because of this recall. Could not find any info online or NHTSA website so that's why I am filing a complaint so a recall can be administered to inform other Jeep Liberty owners of this issue.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Dec 302013

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

During production of most Jeep models using the jr engines, there was an issue in the cooling system causing blockage of the heater core, radiator, engine block, thermostat, and/or water pump. The issue is well known by Jeep owners from mainly 2010-2012 Jeep, but Chrysler has refused to admit and fix the issue. The cause of the issue typically has been linked to either a) casting sand used in the production of the motor, or B) chemicals in the coolant developing a sand-like sludge. My experience has been two failed heater cores within 9 months of each other. The first incident occurred on 25dec2013 and was repaired 30dec2013 at 68,345 miles. On a trip away from home it failed again on 11sep2014 at 85,157 miles. On the most recent occurrence, when the heater core clogged and blew, the system blew hot steam into the cabin and coolant (around a temperature of 200) poured onto the passengers side floorboard. Luckily I did not have the heat vents turned to me or had a passenger at the time because I or my passenger would have likely been injured. The safety issued called into question due to the issue are a) burns resulting from failure of heater core, B) becoming stranded with no heat due to heater core or radiator failure, C) becoming stranded because of engine failure due to overheating caused by clogged cooling system.

- Mooresville, IN, USA

Nov 032013

Liberty

The contact owns a 2010 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while driving 65 mph, the vehicle malfunctioning warning message illuminated as the vehicle decelerated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the technician was unable to diagnose the failure however, replaced the spark plugs and O2 sensor as a precaution. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 35,000 and the current mileage was 43,000.

- Austin, TX, USA