2.9

2010 Jeep Liberty fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Jeep Liberty:

2010 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments

Jul 302016

Liberty

It will burp gas back of the filler nozzle. Tried different gas stations. Tried different types of pumps. On automatic fill-up it will cut off, then a big burp of gas spews out of the filler nozzle. Happens mostly in the cool weather, randomly in high temps (80F+). dealer inspected said they could find no problem... told me the only option would be a fuel tank replacement for around 1500 dollars. It is the same symptom the recall/warranty extension for 2008 Jeep Liberty's covered in the X46 lifetime warranty extension; however, this does not cover any other model years and this is happening in other model years. Thank you for your time looking into this matter.

- Chesterfield, VA, USA

Mar 262016

Liberty

Check valve for gas overflow does not work. Every fill up gas will spill out and onto pants legs and ground.

- Fisherville, KY, USA

Sep 152015

Liberty

The contact owns a 2010 Jeep Liberty. The contact filled the fuel tank numerous times, but the fuel spewed out with force each time. The contact had to move away from the area of the fuel tank each time the failure occurred. The contact observed strong fuel fumes inside the vehicle. The contact complained about the fumes affecting her breathing. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and recommended that the vehicle be taken to the dealer. The dealer was notified of the failure and the contact was to schedule a diagnostic test. A second dealer diagnosed that the fuel filler tube needed to be replaced. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for inspection and repair. The failure mileage was not available.

- Simi Valley, CA, USA

Apr 152016

Liberty

2010 Jeep Liberty spontaneously caught on fire and exploded on Friday April 15, 2016. My stepdad and I were out and we stopped and picked up a pizza on the way home and everything was just fine the whole drive home, no smell, no driving issues, no smoke, no overheating dings, no funky sounds. We pulled into the driveway to park and turned off the car, my stepdad got out first, and when I opened my door I said żooh it smells like fall!ż (I thought the neighbors were having a bonfire or something.) then I saw it and told him żthe car is smoking!ż and I got out of the car and got away from it. He tried to open the hood thinking it was a radiator or something but it was so hot it burned his fingers and then he lifted it a bit with a screwdriver as we went to get the fire extinguisher and we saw the fire start shooting out of the sides. It was so hot and so fast. I screamed at him to get him away from it because I knew it was going to explode, and as soon as he was a bit away from it, the hood did explode up and then it started really shooting flames out and and that's when I called 911. There were several more explosions while we waited on the firefighters. It was totally engulfed in flames in 5 minutes. There is nothing left but a shell, and it was one layer from burning our house down. If we were in it another 60 seconds, weżD have taken that first explosion to the faces. We could have died and we almost lost our house, our barn and another car inside the barn. IżM furious. Other people could die.

- Greensburg, IN, USA

Mar 012016

Liberty

Fuel blows back explosively while filling tank. Dealer reports check valve in inside the gas tank not on the filler neck and that replacing fuel tank in only way to fix. Cost estimate $1370, plus $146.50 to diagnose the problem for a total of $1,517.31. This is a safety issue which Jeep is well aware and widely discussed on various forums. Jeep has recalled other models, but not this specific model and year. Serious bodily harm and death is a potential with this safety problem. Jeep refuses to assist on any cost or repair of the vehicle. Fuel tanks are made to last the life of a car, this is a manufacturing defect which should be dealt with. Car is single owner, was bought new in August 2010, no other problems. Case #28823444 at Jeep. Called 3 times, was offered zero assistance to mitigate the problem.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 232013

Liberty

When filling the vehicle with gas, the fuel overflows onto the side of the car, onto the ground and sometimes, if you forget and don't stand back far enough, is will splash onto who ever is filling the tank. This started in the fall of 2013 and continued off and on until the winter of 2014 when it became an every fill up issue. We did some research and found that older models of Jeep Liberty had the same problem, and had been recalled to have the tanks replaced. When we contacted Jeep they told us that my vehicle was not included in the recall, and that they would not do anything to help with the cost of replacing the tank. I had some other work done this last week on my Liberty and found out that to correct the problem, I would have to pay $710 for the tank and $365 for the labor. Again we contacted Jeep, and again were told that they would not do anything to help with the repair. I don't think that I should have to spend over $1000 to correct an issue that Jeep is aware of and should be held responsible for. I feel that this is a safety issue, not only when fueling, but if you spill gas all over the ground at the gas station, there could be a fire. I don't know if it could cause a fire in the case of an accident. I hope not.

- Lochbuie, CO, USA

Aug 012014

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Tank spills gas on every fill-up. No madder how slow you fill it. But slower filling spill less gas then fast filling. Always have to wipe up excess gas that spills down fender. This creates a safety issue every time you fill up.

- Somerville, OH, USA

Sep 242014

Liberty

I was filling up my vehicle with gas and it overflowed and it continues to do that every time I fill up. Its a fire hazard and a waste of gas.

- Muttontown, NY, USA

Nov 072014

Liberty

Filling up my car with gas and it always overflows. It doesn't stop when its full. Its been happening to other people as well.

- Muttontown, NY, USA

Mar 052014

Liberty

I was filling the vehicle with gas. Instead of shutting off when the tank was full approximately a quart of gas splashed up on me and all over the rear fender of the car. I am pretty upset because a Jeep dealership in anderson, in said that was supposed to happen. We had the same issue with an older Liberty, and we were given a lifetime warranty for the repair. I was told my vehicle is not covered by that warranty. I don't believe that is supposed to happen, since it hasn't happened to me with the prior vehicles that I've owned, and I wonder if Jeep has corrected a problem that they are aware of, or if they are just kicking the can down the road.

- Anderson, IN, USA

Dec 272013

Liberty

As with other complaints, fuel spills out after refueling, splashing onto car, ground, and person fueling. Dealer replaced esim detector. That worked for 2 fill ups, at 3rd fill up the gushing started again. Dealer said fuel tank needs to be replaced.

- Rochester, MN, USA

Feb 042013

Liberty

When fueling the vehicle the pump will not shut of when the tank is full causing fuel to spill out onto the vehicle, the ground and the shoes of the person pumping gas. The problem is worse during cold weather.

- Lindley, NY, USA

Aug 012013

Liberty

While refueling, the tank will overflow and bubble over onto my paint and the ground every time I fill up. It's roughly a cup of fuel each time. This is a persistent problem for me and safety hazard. I'm pretty sure overflowing gasoline isn't good, and it is damaging to the product (paint) as well; this issue is a growing theme with Chrysler vehicles and all affected vehicles need a service bulletin posted for a solution.

- Cary, NC, USA

Feb 042013

Liberty 6-cyl

For the past two months everytime I fill my fuel tank it overflows dramatically. While filling the tank I always follow the prescribed safety measures - I do not put anything under the handle that mechanically holds the nozzle open, I do not try to fill the tank to the very brim and I place the nozzle bellows directly on the fill tube. Despite this the tank consistently overflows down the side of the vehicle and onto the ground. Most of the time the instant the nozzle bellows is separated from the fill tube (after the nozzle clicks signaling the tank is at the safe fill point) the gas "burps" out a distance of up to a foot which initially landed on me. This is obviously a safety concern to the individual pumping gas as well as an environmental concern. The Jeep service representative informed me that a new gas tank is required to replace the fill tube check valve which he informed me is an integral part of the tank. I researched on the internet to see if this is a common problem and I found that for several years people have been experiencing the same problem. Some people even put a video of this happening on youtube.

- Mt Sinai, NY, USA

Nov 072012

Liberty

The contact owns a 2010 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that while refueling, fuel spewed out of the filler neck. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 40,000 and the current mileage was 46,000.

- Chatham , MA, USA

Dec 032012

Liberty 6-cyl

When filling up with gas and tank is fuel the nozzle stops and then gas bubbles out the fuel tank and down the side of the vehicle. I even try going slow but as soon and it gets full some fuel comes out. I took this to don miller Dodge Chrysler Jeep Ram service center in madison, wi and they informed that the rollover valve is not working and I would need the whole fuel tank replaced. I know from research online that this is a safety issue due to the fact that in the chance of a rollover this keeps fuels from spilling out of the gas tank that may cause a fire. I have also seen other recalls for other Chrysler makes and models including other Jeep models for this same issue and wonder if the Jeep Liberty's should be included as well. Thank you

- Madison, WI, USA

Nov 242012

Liberty 6-cyl

Refueling the vehicle causes gasoline to overflow from the filler tube and run down the side of the car onto the ground. Approx10-12 oz. Of fuel will spill out every time the vehicle is filled up at any gas station. There appears to be a venting issue with Jeep gas tanks. A quick google search returns many results of this issue, most commonly known as 'gas tank burping'. it affects different Jeep models. Here is a youtube video of the problem: www.youtube.com/watch?V=6feamuauko8 I would consider this to be a design flaw and a potential fire hazard. Chrysler dealership are unwilling to help me because I am out of the 36,000 mile warranty period.

- Waterford, MI, USA

Nov 062012

Liberty 6-cyl

Was putting gas into Jeep as I have always done, and this time after the pump shut off, gas came puking out of the tank down the side of the Jeep. This is the first time this has happened to me, but looking on the internet this is a very common problem. You would think Jeep would recall this!!!!

- Forrest, IL, USA