2.9

2011 Jeep Liberty fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Jeep Liberty:

2011 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments

Jun 092016

Liberty

After filling my gas tank and grocery shopping, I came out to my car and it wouldn't start, I then had it towed to my local Jeep dealership, they diagnosed it as a faulty tipm sensor, after researching online, turns out I am one of hundreds of thousands dealing with the same issue, Chrysler should have to be held responsible for knowingly continuing to install faulty sensors and then not assisting with repairs. Outrageous!!! what is the point of investing in an american brand when they are not held accountable?? losing all my faith...

- Spring City, PA, USA

Apr 152016

Liberty

Every time I am refueling my Jeep Liberty the stop flow for the gas tank does not engage and causes fuel to leak to overflow onto my vehicle, the ground and on me. It creates a large puddle of gasoline and is very dangerous.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Jan 172016

Liberty

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Liberty. When fueling up the vehicle, the pump clicked indicating that the tank was full. When the pump was removed, fuel spewed out on the ground and the vehicle. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer and the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 103,600.

- Ellicott City, MD, USA

Nov 282015

Liberty

The gas spilled back while fueling.

- Stoughton, MA, USA

Nov 222015

Liberty

There is an issue with gasoline overflowing from the tank of our 2011 Liberty after the gas pump has shut off. This happens after the initial shut off as we are not topping off the tank. About 1 second after the pump stops automatically gasoline will spray out of the filler neck and all over the ground. This has happened at different filling stations; so it does not seem like a pump issue. It only happens after the pump has stopped. It does not happen while the gas pump is running.

- Milford, MA, USA

May 012013

Liberty

Every time I fill my car up, unless I fill it very slowly and listen carefully, gas will gush out as the tank gets full, even after I have stopped pumping. It gets everywhere and makes a mess. This seems very dangerous.

- Waynesville, NC, USA

Aug 012014

Liberty

Fuel sprays from filler neck while filling up. This has happened at multiple different gas stations. Its to the point I don't fill up any more I just put in $30 from empty. The pump does stop once this happens.

- Aubrey, TX, USA

Mar 042014

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

When filling gas tank fuel gushes from fuel fill tube before fuel filling nozzle shuts off, happens every time unless you manually fill fuel tank very slowly. Outten motors in (hamburg, pa) told me fuel roll over valve is bad, fuel tank replacement required, cost would be $1051.73.

- Kutztown, PA, USA

Feb 192015

Liberty

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated there was fuel leaking from the vehicle. The failure occurred when the vehicle was refueled. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, who diagnosed that the fuel tank valve needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Medina , OH, USA

Mar 152014

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that after refueling and the nozzle was ejected, fuel was spew out of the filler neck. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 25,000. Updated 03/30/15 updated 6/22/2015

- Mastic Beach, NY, USA

Mar 032014

Liberty 6-cyl

Every time I fill up I get a backwash of gas I tried different gas stations with the same results I googled this issue and found out this has happened to 1000's of other Jeep owners when I called my Jeep dealer they want to charge me 100's of dollars to fix the issue which I think should be a recall. Can you please help me with this issue.

- Mastic Beach, NY, USA

Sep 012014

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Constant issue with fuel overflow when I fill the car with gas. The service station pump shuts off when the tank is full, but fuel comes gushing out of the filler neck. It happens at all gas stations.

- Lakeland, MN, USA

May 122014

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Vehicle purchased new in April 2011. 3 years later in May 2014, the vehicle began spewing fuel out when refueling the vehicle at any and all gas stations. A significant amount of fuel runs down the side of the vehicle, onto the ground and onto pants and shoes if you are standing close to the vehicle. The gas fumes get inside the vehicle when you open the vehicle door. This poses a hazard to the person pumping the gas, to occupants inside the vehicle and to by standers. This is a well documented problem on the internet for Jeep SUV's. I have replaced the esmi housing 2 times, and this does not solve the problem. I am now told I will need to replace my entire gas tank because the rollover antispill valve inside the tank is defective. I found a recall called M11 which fixes only 2012 Jeep compass and 2012 Jeep patriot vehicles that have the same problem. I have called Jeep and they stated the problem has been resolved and they will not help me.

- Noblesville, IN, USA

Oct 032012

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

After stopping or slowing down the vehicle has tended to stall or almost stall. This has now occurred 4 times, or which two of these were when turning through an intersection which could have caused an accident. In all cases fuel tanks were greater than 1/4 full.

- Sioux Falls, SD, USA

Jul 012013

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

When adding fuel to vehicle fuel will gush out from fill hose connection after fuel dispensing nozzle shuts off.

- Kutztown, PA, USA

Feb 032014

Liberty

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Liberty. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 13V252000 (fuel system); however, the part needed for the repair was unavailable. The manufacturer was not notified. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Waterloo , NY, USA

Apr 012014

Liberty

When fueling, the pump's auto shut off doesn't work and gas spills out everywhere. Happens every time we fill up and at different stations.

- Lakeside, AZ, USA