Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: On August 16th, 2012 Jeep stopped production of the the Jeep Liberty, marking the end of a troublesome journey for the SUV.

All in all, the 2012 Liberty actually excels off-road, but since 99% of drivers never take this thing off pavement, that becomes somewhat of a moot point. The Liberty suffers from the worst fuel economy in its class (16/22 MPG) and offers an uncomfortable ride with suspect braking ability.

2012 Jeep Liberty body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Liberty:

2012 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments

Apr 012014

Lift gate hatch mechanism parts continue to fail without warning not allowing exit/entry into hatch in case of emergency or access to spare tire and jack. I have had parts replaced three times. This lift gate is operated manually. This happens in numerous weather conditions and temperatures. This is noted while the car is stationary. This has been reported to Jeep, without resolution.

- Greenwood, IN, USA

Jul 142014

Liberty 6-cyl

I was coming home from work, as I turned onto my exit there was a pop sound and then it started hissing and smoking. I slowed down and pulled over and got out of the vehicle. It started to smoke, caught on fire and burned totally up before my eyes. I have only had this vehicle for six (6) months.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Sep 032013

Liberty 6-cyl

While I was driving on I-70 E, I noticed that the vehicle approaching me from behind, was traveling at a high rate of speed so I swerved to the right shoulder and the other vehicle swerved to the left lane and then back across the right lane over to the shoulder and struck my 2012 Jeep Liberty on the drivers side from the front to the rear probably at a speed between 60 - 75. With that impact I received whiplash & injury to my left arm, left hand, neck & shoulder. I did not received a recall notice N38 until late December 2013 and the accident occurred on September 3, 2013, so I called Chrysler and told them about the accident and asked if this recall could effect the air bag from not deploying, the lady didn't know and said she would file a report. I received a letter stating, "while the purpose of the air bag is to deploy when the major direction of the impact is from the front of the vehicle towards the back of the vehicle" & "the vehicle damage may lead you to believe that the air bag should have deployed, how ever, this can be deceiving." It also stated that large amounts of fender or sheet metal damage indicate that the crumple zone in the front of the vehicle did their job and as a result the air bags were not needed. So I placed two different calls to Chrysler dealers and also went in person to one and ask them "if I didn't get this recall fixed, (which the recall notice had not been sent out when the accident happened) if it could cause the air bag not to deploy, " and all three of the men told me yes it could cause the air bags not to deploy or something even worst, which the one man stated "it could even kill you." I believe as hard as I was hit, and with the injuries I received, that the air bags should of deployed and maybe I wouldn't have been injured as much. It has been over 4 months since the accident and my injuries are still present. Sincerely

- Grain Valley, MO, USA

Feb 122011

Windshield cracked out of the blue. Looks like a stress fracture but dealership and Chrysler claim its environmental and won't replace windshield. It's hazardous. Additionally, the undercarriage is all rusted and black soot in exhaust.

- Trenton, NJ, USA

Sep 262012

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that the hood latch slipped and fell down while the contact was under the hood. The contact stated that there were no support clamps for the hood. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure however, the vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 1,400 and the current mileage was 1,500.

- Wells, NY, USA