Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: On August 16th, 2012 Jeep stopped production of the the Jeep Liberty, marking the end of a troublesome journey for the SUV.

All in all, the 2012 Liberty actually excels off-road, but since 99% of drivers never take this thing off pavement, that becomes somewhat of a moot point. The Liberty suffers from the worst fuel economy in its class (16/22 MPG) and offers an uncomfortable ride with suspect braking ability.

2012 Jeep Liberty lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Liberty:

2012 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments

Jan 122015

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Liberty. While driving approximately 55 mph, the instrument panel illuminated and the gauges became inoperative. In addition, the windshield wipers, headlights, and turn signals illuminated intermittently. The dealer diagnosed that the wiring cluster needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 52,000. The VIN was not available.

- Robertsville, MO, USA

Mar 252016

Starting two years ago, after a rain, when parked, upon locking my car either manually or with the key fob, the alarm goes off, interior lights illuminate and the dash states the gate is ajar. Repeatedly open and close the gate with no remedy. Have to leave car unlocked and usually the interior lights go off after a few hours. Related is the gate occasionally fails to unlock as well as unable to open the rear gate window. And the rear wiper continues to stay on after being turned off. All appear to be related to moisture somehow affecting the lift gate electrical system. Have taken to dealership three times, first two under warranty and dealer advised unable to find problem. Third time after warranty expired, advised they would need to replace seal at cost of $600. Declined repair.

- Decatur, IL, USA

Oct 022015

The "gate" light in my Jeep Liberty came on while driving and would not go off, even though everything was securely shut. As a result, I was unable to lock my vehicle because the alarm would sound. The interior lights also stayed on during this time, which was a hazard when driving at night as it directly affected my ability to see outside my car. I have done some research on this issue and do see that it appears to be a common problem which may be caused by faulty rubber trim around the rear hatch window. The rubber allows water to get in to the latch and eventually ruins it. I recently had the gate latch assembly replaced, which did resolve the issue, .

- Burlington, VT, USA

Jul 152015

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

The headlights go out randomly when they are on auto driving at night. I then have to turn them on manual when driving at night. This problem has been seen by a mechanic twice in the last two months. MA 10/5

- Morton Grove, IL, USA

Jan 202015

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

I noticed the light flashing on and off while driving into town, it was a cloudy day and the lights had come on automatically, it has happened several times since this and I am concerned about a short in the system which could cause a fire and do a lot of damage to vehicle or myself.

- Piedmont, SD, USA

Feb 202014

Liberty 6-cyl

There was an electrical fire that appeared to originate in the driver's side rear tail light and migrated to the bumper and wiring inside the bumper.

- Selden, NY, USA

Feb 252013

Liberty 4WD 6-cyl

Februray 26, 2012 8;30 am.I had been driving Jeep Liberty for about 2 hours, parked in parking lot, went shopping, started up, and was driving my Jeep Liberty and notice smoke in the vehicle then I noticed a burning yellow smoke and flames coming from my drivers side door control panel, as quickly as I could I stopped Jeep into parking lot, at that time my windows where malfunctioning and the vehicle was fully engulfed with yellow smoke, turned vehicle off could not get seat belt unhooked, turned switch on put in park and then got seat belt unhook pulled keys out of ignition climb over to passenger side door to open door and then opened driver side door and threw snow and water on door to put fire out... stood there in shock for a moment, second time I drove wifes vehicle and it caught on fire 5 months old!!! noticed that the smoke in the vehicle was starting to dispensed and clearing out. Noticed window switches had melted and sank into door, burned fingers openening driver side door. Reached in and turned key back on, at that point the vehicle started to smoke again, threw the window and speaker of drivers side door, turned key off threw more water in door panel and again smoke slowly dispensed. I was moments from entering a interstate and the thought of what would have happened to myself if I would have not been able to get off the road in time !! I have been a master mechanic for 30 years and have never seen such a thing happen in any type of vehicle before.I took vehichle to dealer, Jeep Chrysler was contacted, dealership monkeys acussed me of jamming some thing in switch, what a bunch of crap.. Jeep said they could not do anything to claim it on my insurance !!!!!! dealer ship is trying to force Jeep too look at problem this vehicle is only 5 mos old and this should have never happened. I'm glad to see this problem regesterd with you... updated 08-20-14 updated 08/21/2014

- Montreal , MO, USA

Feb 132013

Liberty 6-cyl

I've been driving my Jeep around to work and home everyday and I notice the passenger air bag light flashes where it says it's off. Today 2/17/2013 I drove 100 miles from a small trip and the light was on the entire time I was driving. I haven't had any accidents.

- Santa Ana, CA, USA

Feb 022013

Liberty 6-cyl

Had vehicle at dealership about 3 weeks prior for a heavy burning smell inside and out side of vehicle.smelled like burnt wiring. Was told by dealer it was a sticker on the exhaust pipe. Was told it was fine and might smell it for a short time..smell is still there and last night vehicle was on snow covered road with on coming traffic and the headlights and all interior lights were lost.. headlight switch was moved back and fourth from auto, on, and off numerous times till lights came back on and it did it again on the way home in the morning. Going to take it back to dealer about an hour away for the second time.. not sure why Chrysler doesnt take time to look at things properly and listen to the owners. A sticker burning off doesnt smell like burnt wiring..

- Wolcottville, IN, USA