Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: On August 16th, 2012 Jeep stopped production of the the Jeep Liberty, marking the end of a troublesome journey for the SUV.

All in all, the 2012 Liberty actually excels off-road, but since 99% of drivers never take this thing off pavement, that becomes somewhat of a moot point. The Liberty suffers from the worst fuel economy in its class (16/22 MPG) and offers an uncomfortable ride with suspect braking ability.

2012 Jeep Liberty seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Liberty:

2012 Jeep Liberty Owner Comments (Page 5 of 5)

Dec 092013

Liberty 6-cyl

Air bag light stays on. Dealer says it is not part of the N28 recall.

- Bay Shore, NY, USA

Oct 312013

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated while starting the vehicle, the air bag warning indicator remained illuminated until the engine was turned off. The contact received a NHTSA recall campaign id number 13V282000 (air bags, electrical system); however, the remedy part was unavailable. The manufacturer was notified of the failure but could not provide an expected date for the part to be available. The approximate failure mileage was 16,999.

- Kingwood, TX, USA

Oct 232013

Liberty 6-cyl

Last week the airbag warning light stayed on. I called the dealership and made an appointment. On 28 Oct, the dealer stated that there was a recall to fix the occupant restraint module; however, there was no part available to fix it. I went online and researched N38 recall. It seems that this was released on July 2nd (bought the car July 5), and according to Chrysler recall would start in August. I never receive any notification about this recall. It is now Oct and so far there are no parts to fix this issue. I can be rear ended and airbag would not deploy due to this issue!

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Mar 292013

Liberty 6-cyl

On 3/29/13 the airbag light came on the dashboard and I took it to the dealership received a loner and they called me the next day saying the car was fixed. They conducted: 1) multi-point inspection, 2) replaced the orc module, stated 3) that there was in fact an electrical issue which was an internal failure in the vehicle. NHTSA has now forced the manufacturer to issue a recall and in the notice, all the notice states as a remedy is repetitive of the work the work done on the vehicle in March. In addition, if the manufacturer does not have the parts as stated in the notice, how could they have fixed the problem in March then? my vehicle is defective and no one has come forward to reassure me that upon collision the airbags will deploy and there won't be any such mechanical failure as stated in the recall.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Oct 192013

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated referenced NHTSA campaign id number 13V282000 (air bags, electrical system) and stated that the dealer advised that the remedy part would not be available for three to four months. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The contact had not experienced a failure. The VIN was unavailable.

- Castle Rock, WA, USA

Sep 092013

Liberty 6-cyl

I started my 2012 Jeep Liberty 4 days ago and the airbag light stayed on. Why would a 2012 Jeep have this problem, I purchased this vehicle when it had 29,538 miles on it. It now has 39,300 miles on it, so it is out of warranty and my extended warranty does not cover this issue with the airbag. I don't have the $95 to diagnosis this issue, the $95 is only for diagnosis. I hope there will be a recall or something for this issue soon. As of right now, I have no airbag system.

- Chillicothe, IL, USA

Aug 092013

Liberty 6-cyl

While driving car, the airbag light came on. Instructions in owner's manual states to take to dealer immediately for repair. Called dealer and have appointment on August 12.

- Gold River, CA, USA

Jul 312013

After starting my vehicle and putting it into reverse, my airbag light came on. It is now staying on solid and is not blinking. I called the dealership where I purchased my Jeep, and they told me to schedule an appointment and they could get me in to make sure it is not an issue of a rabbit or a rodent chewing up the wires, and then they will decide if its a safety issue. But in the meantime all in one breath, they told me my vehicle is safe to drive. There was not, and has not been anything in my passenger seat since almost 24 hours ago.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Jun 212013

Liberty 6-cyl

Turned the car on and the airbag light came on. Stayed on the entire time I was driving.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Mar 252013

Liberty 6-cyl

Passenger air bag light wont turn off from dash board and light from under the radio. No issues as far as airbags deploying.

- Lincolnwood, IL, USA

Feb 132013

Liberty 6-cyl

I've been driving my Jeep around to work and home everyday and I notice the passenger air bag light flashes where it says it's off. Today 2/17/2013 I drove 100 miles from a small trip and the light was on the entire time I was driving. I haven't had any accidents.

- Santa Ana, CA, USA

Aug 012012

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Liberty. The contact stated that when driving at various speeds she noticed that the air bag warning light had illuminated for the front passenger seat. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and they advised her that they were unable to diagnose the failure and also informed her that there was a weight threshold for the front seat. The manufacturer was contacted and a representative was sent out to investigate the vehicle. After diagnosis they reported that they were unable to diagnose the vehicle either. The vehicle has not been repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 3,000. The current mileage was approximately 53,036.

- Winter Garden, FL, USA

Oct 212012

Liberty 6-cyl

Air bag warning indicator lamp lit.

- Windsor, CT, USA

Jul 302011

Air bag warning indicator light came on for no reason.

- Waltham, MA, USA

May 192012

Liberty 6-cyl

Air bag lights stay on continously. Manufacture date 10/2011. Suspect clockspring since Jeep Wrangler has this problem.

- Bellevue, WA, USA