2.2

2008 Jeep Patriot engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Jeep Patriot:

2008 Jeep Patriot Owner Comments

Oct 052016

Patriot

My mother owns a 2008 Jeep Patriot. I was driving her car on the highway at 60mph. Apparently, the car wanted to stall while driving at high speed. Due to an accident on the highway, I was able to reduced the speed safely. When I went to change lanes to the right, the signal spark and/or caused the interior lights to go on. The A/C cannot be on while driving either. There seems to be an electrical short that is causing all of these problems to happen all at once. I'm afraid to have my mother continue to drive the car. She only drives on local streets, but this too can cause an accident. I took her car 2 years ago to a Jeep dealer to repair an electrical short on the hatch door due to it getting wet. The dealer replaced the rubber moldings around the hatch door, but it has returned. And again they were not able to find the problem. All of theses problems keep persisting and she is afraid to drive.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Aug 242016

Patriot

Summary: While driving my car will still in the engine dies the car lots of Iowa city it doesn't matter where you're going after you put gas in the car he usually doesn't start but now it has started not letting you fill up with gas at stopping the fuel pump like your tank is full and it didn't put any gas in it but it's very dangerous and scary when you're driving down the road and your engine shuts off in the car stalls and locks up. The traction control will come on and it's an able to be turned off after it locks up and stalls and shuts off while you're driving it any speed it doesn't restart request research help very scary it's going to lead to something horrible happening this problem cannot get fixed

- Cedarville, OH, USA

Jun 102015

Patriot

While driving the vehicle at 45 mph, the electronic stability program indicator light came home causing the speed to immediately drop down to 20mph. I was able to pull the car over and turn the engine off. I waited and the car started back up fine. The next day, while driving, the electronic throttle control light came on and immediately shut my car off. I was able to force the steering wheel to turn into a parkin spot. After trying to crank the car, it finally started and the light didnt come on. The next day, had the oil changed and new spark plugs put in. The car drove fine at first and then all of a sudden while on a busy highway, the spped dropped to 10mph. I was able to keep going and stop and turn the vehicle off. It took several attempts to restart the vehicle but finally got it.this vehicle is extremely dangerous and needs a recall to have this taken care of!!! it is going to take someone getting seriously injured to have something happen

- Baldwin, GA, USA

May 222015

Patriot

Upon taking my wife's Jeep Patriot for the yearly inspection in western Pennsylvania, I was told that the vehicle has a rusted out and rotted crossmember and would not be able to be driven any longer. I was given a 10 day period to have the vehicle repaired or the vehicle would be totally inoperable. I contacted both ron lewis automotive service dept. In addition to Chrysler. Ron lewis checked the VIN number and said that there were no outstanding bulletins for this repair. In addition, Chrysler did not offer to compensate for the repair. I assumed that I would have to pay the entire cost for the repair. Having the service dept lie to me about there being no recall is a serious matter. This could have cost me my life by being given misinformation by the dealership service dept.. in addition, I had noticed the snapping noise within the first six months of ownership of my new Jeep Patriot but was told by the service dept at ron lewis that everything was fine.

- Renfrew, PA, USA

Nov 022014

Patriot 4-cyl

I recently bought a 2008 Jeep Patriot in Florida and got on the highway to go head home to Mississippi the day after purchase and experienced a problem with the vehicle. I picked up speed in the vehicle and noticed it started to make a noise so I slowed down. I picked up speed again and the vehicle was making the noise and slowing down once again. I tried to pick up speed again and the car been to slow all the way down only going about 40 to 50 mph. Then I noticed a light come on. I was on the highway and the car would not go any faster than 40 to 60 mph I then pulled over. I looked under the hood there was no smoke and didn't look to be any overheating and the car was not hot. I waited a while drove to Mississippi took it to a Chrysler Jeep dealership and was told it was the transmission.

- Meridian, MS, USA

Jun 072014

Patriot

The contact owns a 2008 Jeep Patriot. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 70 mph, the vehicle suddenly decelerated to 30 mph and the power train warning light illuminated intermittently. The contact stated that the transmission was overheating and needed to resume to normal temperature in order to be able to accelerate the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer on several occasions where the failure was unable to be replicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000.

- Carson City, NV, USA

Jun 042013

Patriot

Driving on highway doing 55 mph. Car stalls and lights come on and can't go not than 25 mph this happened numerous times thank god nobody directly behind me and I was in right lane with lane to pull over or could have had a deadly accident. Jeep seems not to care until it's too late.

- Moon,Township, PA, USA

Jan 082014

Patriot

The car was in drive, however the gas pedal was not accelerating the car. It jerked several times and felt like it was going to stall then the electronic throttle light came on for a short time then went out- I took it to my mechanic he confirmed the car needed the throttle body however there are none on long island there are more then 450 on backorder coming from overseas!!!! it has happened intermittently for the past week and I cannot get it fixed. I am afraid the it is dangerous. Apparently if I am not able to find this part on long island this may be an issue that Jeep Chrysler should be addressing. There are only 60K miles on this car.

- Dix Hills, NY, USA