2008 Jeep Patriot miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Jeep Patriot:

2008 Jeep Patriot Owner Comments

Mar 192016

My 2008 Patriot's front crossmember is rusting through. Chrysler has extended the warranty to cover this exact problem on the 2007 Patriots, but has not acknowledged the problem on the 2008 model. The crossmember supports the engine and transmission. If it were to fail in motion the results would be catastrophic.

- Elyria, OH, USA

Sep 202015

Severe leaking out of sunroof, ceiling, and windshield of car.

- Locust, NJ, USA

Jan 252016

Purchased vehicle used 11/2015; first leak in rear compartment light fixture 12/26/2015. 1/24/2016; new leak in front compartment light fixture. Seriously, isn't this all one system" if checked thoroughly, shouldn't this have failed 12/2015" very disappointed with dealership. Now an additional fee and loss of time on my part.

- Stamping Ground, KY, USA

Jan 012016

My 2008 Jeep Patriot leaks through dome light. No one seems to know how to fix this problem. The first couple times this happen last year it fried my radio.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Dec 262015

I am driving a new to me Patriot 2008 and am having water leaking in to interior from rear/hatch door. It's a holiday weekend, so will have to wait till Monday to contact dealership where it was originally purchased.

- Stamping Ground, KY, USA

Dec 012015

• 1,047,000 miles
I was at my mechanic getting my 2008 Jeep Patriot serviced when he called me into the shop to look at the rust issue that the K frame has. The rust has already began to make holes in the structure which were not there at my last change 3 months ago. I began to research the problem and found that it seems to be quite common, so much that they have extended the 2007 Patriot warranty. I contacted the dealership to see if there were any open recalls on my Patriot and he told me that there wasn't. this is not normal wear and tear even at just under 105,000 miles. The information that I have read online mentions a manufacture flaw that has the A/C drain over the frame. This leaves the owner with a costly repair that is Jeep fault. While the Jeep was in the air on the lift we inspected the rest of the under body everything else was rust free but I have enclosed pictures taken today on the lift.

- Newark, DE, USA

Apr 102012

Since the purchase of this used 2008 Jeep Patriot in 2011 it will stall and shut off after filling up the tank; then after the vehicle is restarted it functions as usual; a few times it re-stalled a second time after filling up and then was able to be restarted. Note, I did not over fill the tank. I did inquire about recalls for the 2008 Jeep Patriot for this issue but was informed there were none. Also no Jeep dealership or other dealership could fix the issue. This is a safety issue as when this first instance this occurred, I was heading into oncoming traffic when it stalled on me and I almost got into an accident. I found on a forum where many purchaser's of 2008 Jeep Patriots report this issue with no resolve, only an entry from 1/23/15 noted their mechanic said it was an issue with the rollover valve meaning the entire tank had to be replaced. Considering the safety issue of a moving vehicle stalling out after filling up, and the issue being consistent with the 2008 Jeep Patriot model, I'm asking for inspection into this issue and for a recall to be issued with whatever is the issue with the fuel system/tank. This issue has continued over the duration of me having my vehicle. Now more recently my vehicle has a code for an evap leak, and when pumping the gas tank won't take the fuel. I'm taking it to a Jeep dealer for diagnosis, but am not sure if its related to the aforementioned stalling out issue.

- Lancaster, PA, USA

Sep 012015

The TPMS sensor nut broke off the sensor itself. This left a hole in the rim where the sensor/stem should be since there was nothing holding it once the tire started losing air, rapidly, it fell in the tire and ruined the tire and resulted in a instant flat. This is the second time on a second tire that this has happened to in the two and a half years I have this vehicle. Jeep needs to do a recall or get rid of the so called safety precaution and go back to the basics of a rubber steam and no sensor. This is a severe safety hazard as you have almost no time to slow down and try to get off the road before the tire is toast.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jun 202014

I was driving along about 45 when my tie rod went. Barely escaped crashing my car. Front tire turned side ways, leaving my car squalling uncontrollable down hill. Thank god there wasn't other vehicles around me, or driving any faster than I was! neighbor came rushing out hearing the squealing from my tires, thinking there had been accident! so so scary. It could have killed me! tie rod were replaced just over a year ago, and again they are failing. I'm scared to drive it!! I've replace the tires three times in three years! rotors, break pads, ball joints. It's a money pit! SE problems keep repeating. Something needs to be done! before someone dies!!

- West Bath, ME, USA

Jul 012015

Took my Jeep in for yearly inspection and the mechanic said the cradle frame was almost completely rusted out. Through research I found that the 2007 models were given an extended warranty on this problem but when I contacted Jeep I was told my 2008 model was not part of that, even though I have the exact same problem. I live in the snow belt of North western pa. And have never had a rust issue like this before. Mechanic said I was lucky that the engine and transmission didn't fall out while I was on the road.

- Union City, PA, USA

May 222015

Upon taking my wife's Jeep Patriot for the yearly inspection in western Pennsylvania, I was told that the vehicle has a rusted out and rotted crossmember and would not be able to be driven any longer. I was given a 10 day period to have the vehicle repaired or the vehicle would be totally inoperable. I contacted both ron lewis automotive service dept. In addition to Chrysler. Ron lewis checked the VIN number and said that there were no outstanding bulletins for this repair. In addition, Chrysler did not offer to compensate for the repair. I assumed that I would have to pay the entire cost for the repair. Having the service dept lie to me about there being no recall is a serious matter. This could have cost me my life by being given misinformation by the dealership service dept.. in addition, I had noticed the snapping noise within the first six months of ownership of my new Jeep Patriot but was told by the service dept at ron lewis that everything was fine.

- Renfrew, PA, USA