8.7

2. realigned sun roof (2 reports)
  3. has been fixed (1 reports)
  4. used Dow 111 paste on seal and it works (1 reports)
  5. welded open seam in front drivers side wheel well (1 reports)
2008 Jeep Patriot windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Jeep Patriot:

2008 Jeep Patriot Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 192014

Patriot

We purchased this car as a gift for our daughter's 16th birthday. ALL she wanted was a Jeep Patriot. We had a Jeep Cherokee way back in 1995 that had such a leaking problem, Chrysler FINALLY determined that it was a lemon and bought it back. We vowed to NEVER buy another Chrysler product but decided to give them one more chance since, surely, there wouldn't STILL be leaking issues 20 YEARS LATER!!

Of course, it started leaking soon after we bought it in March. It started, as others have written, with water dripping from the dome lights and such. This past Saturday, our daughter got in and the entire inside was soaked...Water was pouring from the headliner, out of the dash, the radio didn't work, water was pouring from the vents, etc, etc, etc. The inside smelled like burning plastic. The seats and carpet were soaked. What to do now?!?!? We certainly can't sell it to someone else. We can't trade it in, either, with so many problems. It's out of warranty and we are stuck. HELP!!!!!!!

- , Brentwood, TN, USA

Sep 022013

Patriot Limited 2.4L

I bought the Jeep Patriot Aug 2013.the following Sept I spotted a leak through the map lights and the middle interior light. I brought it to the dealership. They blamed me because I park under a tree. They said the tree leaves plugged it up which caused the leak. Drive away and let the leaves blow off before you open the sunroof they said.

Now the worst rainfall for the month of June on record in southern Manitoba has done a number on the leaks from the roof. I was nervous, I'll admit it. I thought that I was totally screwed because of buyer beware and then I started doing some research finding out that the Patriot has leak problems documented all over the internet. Tree leaves causing the leaks, REALLY!! THOSE LYING BASTARDS! They had to of known. Like I said it is well documented all over the internet about this water leak problem.

I'm paying a high interest loan because I'm still building my credit rating. My first car loan ever is turning out to be a nightmare. Consumer and corporate affairs said they will mediate if the dealership says they will not help me. Lesson learned I guess. I should have done my research before I bought this lemon!

- , Winnipeg, Manitoba, canada

Aug 022008

Patriot 2.4L

• CVT transmission

Had car to different dealers several times and was told there was no problem. Just blow out drains, BS. Got fed up with these guys and tried adjusting glass. No good either. Put some Dow Corning 111 Silicone paste on it and that worked great, just catches dust so need to clean off and reapply a couple times a year. Kinda crappy to have to do to a new car!!! Like the gas mileage and like in winter but don't like asses at Chrysler for letting this go on. Have 170,000 miles on it and still runs good but will NOT buy another wanna be Jeep!

- , Newton Falls, Ohio, Papua New Guinea

Jan 312013

Patriot Sport 2.2L I-4

• CVT transmission

Just not expected, bad rain last night, get in car and water starts dripping from the overhead console.

Not a good start to morning, now time to search and see what can be done, hopefully just some clogged drain tubes.

- , Palmyra, NJ, USA

Sep 102010

Patriot North

Sunroof leeks. Every spring, sometimes in summer also. Brought car to dealership, denied there was a problem, said it was fixed, leaked next spring. They even said it was most likely condensation on the sunroof glass. Amount of water leaking said otherwise.

- , Saint-Joseph, Quebec, canada

Jul 062012

Patriot Sport V6

To all the other jeep owners with sunroof leaks, I am with you. I bought this car and took it right to car wash. sunroof leaked to the point where it soaked my entire body. I called jeep the next day and gave them vin they go "oh looks like we have fixed that for the same reason before", but wont cover the work. You have to pay diagnostics fee. Next they tell me the the lines are clogged and this happens on all cars with sunroofs. Bull Crap, i have never had a sunroof leak ever. Its a poor design by jeep and they wont fix it. Next after drains are clogged. It is still leaking, were going to adjust the sunroof. that didn't fix it. Okay now we are going to replace the seal, we cant think of anything else but that. I don't get why jeep wont look at this, there are thousands of people complaining about this problem and nobody will help. I hope chrysler/jeep crashes and burns for this. I have yet to see if this fixes it. DO NOT BUY A JEEP PATRIOT WITH A SUNROOF, NEW, USED, PRIVATE OR AT A DEALERSHIP. YOU ARE IN FOR A WORLD OF TROUBLES. PLEASE READ AGAIN AND AGAIN UNTIL IT SINKS INTO YOUR HEAD. GOOD LUCK, FELLOW JEEP OWNERS WITH THE SAME PROBLEM THAT CANT BE FIXED

- , Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Sep 262011

Patriot 3.2L

For the third time now I am bringing my 2008 Jeep Patroit to the dealership because water is leaking from my sunroof through my front dome light. They have no solution to the problem. I do not understand how so many people have complained about this and yet Jeep refuses to recall the vehicles. I will never buy another Jeep.

- , Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Jul 152011

• CVT transmission

I was driving while it was raining and afterward i was able to soak up 3 towels worth of water on the floor (on the left front and back seat floors). 3 LARGE towels of water! ridiculous. Now my car has a musty odor in it.

- , Wabeno, WI, USA

Sep 012009

Patriot

Sunroof Leaks; during a car wash or a simple rain. We have had the Jeep to 2 different dealerships to be fixed. FUNNY, there is no record of them fixing the problem, which is obvious since it's still leaking. Each time we took the Jeep to be "fixed" it was still under warranty. NOW that it's not under warranty, it's like pulling nails just to get Chrysler Customer Service to call back and or even attempt to help. My husband is convinced that since there is NO fix to the leaking problem, they just "attempted" to repair it to get it out of warranty. WELL, WE ARE NOT DONE YET!!!!

- , Coweta, OK, USA

Mar 102009

Patriot 4.8L

• CVT transmission

I bought my 2008 Patriot used from an individual in March 2009. It started leaking through the map light and center dome light with the first heavy rain we got. There was actually small leaves in the lens of the lights!?!?!?! I had a mechanic work on it and clean all the drain lines in the roof. They did appear to be clogged...GREAT... problem fixed...couple weeks later another heavy rain...problem NOT fixed!!! Look for another complaint from me!!!

- , Delight, AR, USA

Sep 022011

Patriot Limited

click to see larger images

sun roof leak sun roof leak sun roof leak sun roof leak

I've had several small leaks from the sunroof but nothing major or too damaging. The water would rush down from the center console overhead light and rush down the radio and entire center console.

I went out of town during a huge storm and returned home to my entire car flooded with 4 inches of water. I just now did research on my jeep that I bought used and just see that this is a chronic issue with many jeep patriot owners.

- , Locust Grove, VA, USA

Aug 252011

Patriot

Wanted to buy an American car; home the company stands behind its hype.

- , Erie, PA, USA

Dec 292009

Patriot

Haven been dealing with water leaking in back dome light. Dealer fixed that but now it leaks from the front dome light. The Jeep Patriot has been in the shop 11 times. Chrysler says it qualifies for their buy back program and issued a case number but they ask for me to let a field engineer do testing one more time. Was notified on 08-30-11 that car did leak under testing but they want to now replace windshield. Dealer replaced headliner because of mold and mildew. Unable to drive or ride in Jeep without getting sick. The musty smell is awful and it makes me sick.

I am consulting lemon law attorney, filing a complaint with EPA because the mold is a bio-hazard, and also filing complant with NHTSA. Chrysler refuses to do anything. Car has 22,000 miles. Lemon law in Arkansas expires at 24,000. They think they can just put me off until the mileage runs out and then they get off scott-free. I don't think so! Luckily I have another vehicle to drive. This Jeep can sit in my driveway until they do something. I'm n ot going down without a fight. Will never buy another Chrysler product.

- , Rogers, AR, USA

Oct 032011

Patriot

Bought the car brand new in 2008, never had a single problem till last fall. After it rained water poured out of both front and back ceiling lights and down my driver side door panel. The car was still under warranty so I brought it in. The dealership told me they fixed the leak and that was it. No problems until recently. Two weeks ago water again started to pour out of the lights and also sloshing around in my dash board and leaking out on my gas pedal. Upon contacting the dealership I was told it would not be covered because it was regular maintenance to clean out the sunroof and heater drain. I checked in the manual and it didn't mention sunroof drains or heater drains anywhere, and the dealership never mentioned these drains or that I needed to clean them at all when I was there for the first time. I contacted Chrysler Customer Service and was told that they needed a diagnostic to know what was wrong. Then I was quoted $400 to clean the drains and seal the sunroof, that didn't even include the dashboard water problem. Jeep said they would cover $200 of this repair because I should know to clean my sunroof drains. How would I know this and I was told it was Common sense maintenance. When I declined this offer I was told I would have to pay for the diagnostic that they required me to get. I cant even imagine how much they would have quoted me to fix my dash water problem. Chrysler told me that the reason they would only cover half is because the reason my drain was clogged was due to my environment. Crazy. Im still paying nearly $400 a month on this vehicle and its barely 4 years old. I will not buy another Jeep.

- , Schuylerville, NY, USA

Jun 182011

Patriot Sport

This is the 3rd time with the same problems. First it was just the dome light leaking, which caused bulbs to burn out on my radio. Then the headliner got wet. I had it fixed and a month later, it was back to the same problems. Now, it's leaking from the airbag panel as well, and my cd player has gotten wet on the inside and won't play the cd's without giving an error. It's a constant and ongoing problem with the leaks!

- , Selmer, TN, USA

Dec 112007

Patriot Limited

• CVT transmission

When I test drove the Jeep, water was leaking from the interior dome lights. It was fixed before I bought the car. About a year later, it happened again. I again had it fixed. Now for the third time water is leaking from my interior lights. The standard warranty has expired and my extended warranty will not cover this issue. This problem was an issue BEFORE I bought the vehicle and it should have been fixed the correct way the first time. The fact that I had to have this problem fixed THREE times in THREE years is ridiculous. I will not be buying another Jeep.

- , Germansville, PA, USA

Jun 212011

Patriot

This is the third occurrence of water leaking in through the roof. It pours out of the dome light and other crevices as well. Very inconvenient.

- , Cleveland Hts, OH, USA

Mar 232011

Patriot Limited 2.4L

have now had to take my vehicle back to the dealer a THIRD time after being assured that the problem was fixed the first two times. It turns out it was never fixed at all, it just happened to stop raining right after I took it to the dealer for repair of a severe roof leak pouring water in through my dome light; water drips through the light into my car and also soaking the interior roof upholstery - and all of this after I just had it 'fixed' TWO MONTHS ago .. it starting promptly leaking the next time it rained after it was 'repaired', so I now have to take it in again, after which they will probably again make up some different 'reason' (the second time they worked on it they came up with a completely different excuse for the problem than the first) and I will again have to deal with renting a car, paying for the insurance on it, wasting my time, and still owning a reasonably new vehicle that is a ticking time bomb for completely rotting away.

Apr 012011

Patriot Limited 2.4L

a year before during a few days of rain, I already had to take the vehicle in for a leak happening through the dome light - they supposedly fixed it but turned out they had not. I had to take it back to the dealer, where they again had to keep it overnight, causing me to have to obtain and pay for a rental and then claimed to 'fix' it again giving me a totally different 'cause' for the problem. First time they claimed it was because of a crack in the sunroof frame and claimed they fixed it. IT APPARENTLY WAS NOT FIXED - it just coincidentally stopped raining, so there was no proof that it wasn't fixed.

This second time I took it in, they claimed that it was leaking (not only leaking through my dome light and onto the dash and console, but soaking the roof interior all the way to the driver side door - at some point the whole thing is probably going to ROT OUT now) due to a 'clogged sun roof drain' - also stopped raining after I took it in that time, so there was not proof that it wasn't fixed.

HOWEVER - now a mere 2 months later (which i will be filing a separate complaint for) as soon as it started raining again, IT STARTED LEAKING JUST THE SAME.

The problem was never fixed in the least and they either don't seem to know what the problem is or don't care .. . there is no way to avoid my entire car interior molding and rotting out now since this will most certainly continue - NEEDS TO BE ADDRESSED

Jan 212010

Patriot Limited 2.4L

had severe leaks through dome light when raining - water dripped into interior of car and soaked upholstery of interior roof - mechanics at dealer supposedly 'fixed' it after having to leave my car for a day and a half and get a rental (which I had to pay for!) - turns out it was not at all fixed - it had just happened to stop raining. Not only that, but while 'fixing' it, they messed up something ELSE and forgot to put a part back in, causing me to have to return and leave the car AGAIN - this was at the Jeep Chrysler LaBrea