8.6

2. realigned sun roof (3 reports)
  3. has been fixed (1 reports)
  4. used Dow 111 paste on seal and it works (1 reports)
  5. welded open seam in front drivers side wheel well (1 reports)
2008 Jeep Patriot windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Jeep Patriot:

2008 Jeep Patriot Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 062015

Patriot Sport

The sun roof has leaked since I purchase the Patriot. I've read complaints on 2014 and 2015 model doing exactly what mine is doing. Jeep isn't doing anything about fixing the problem. After it rains, water pour in the front and bad dome light fixtures.

- , Briegeport, WV, USA

Oct 112014

Patriot 2.4L

When we first took the car for a test drive we noticed water in the dome light in the front of the car. When I pushed the on switch to turn on the light, water came out where the push button is. The sales rep thought somehow water got in from when they cleaned the car! A few weeks after having the car, I got in to go to work one morning after a night of rain. The water came pouring out of the dome light on to the front dash and into the radio.The water ruined the radio so when they fixed the leak the first time, they also had to replace the radio.

Next time it rained again I had to again take it back to the dealer to get the leak fixed in the sun roof. They kept telling me that the drain hose was getting plugged, but it was in the winter and I did not have the sunroof open for any dirt to get into the drains. Winter comes and no leaks. We thought it was fixed. Wrong !!!

Winter thaw comes and rain again causes sun roof to leak, only now it is draining to the driver side of the head liner and down inside the door. Dry dash but soaked head liner and wet floor rugs. Using bath towels to soak up the water. More rain over night, Open up door to go to work and 4" of water on the floor !!! Leak not fixed !!! Car goes back to dealer, drains plugged again !!!! I think not.

After much screaming at the dealership, they agreed to try to find me another car to replace the leaky one I have because now it has become a health issue. Mold grows very well in wet cars.

- , Mount Arlington, NJ, USA

Jun 082015

Patriot Limited

When I bought my Jeep Certified Pre-Owned, it had this stain on the roof. The salesman said it was likely due to a tech getting some grime on the upholstery and he tried to clean it. Of course the outline remained there. A year later I had a small leak in the sun roof which they fixed by saying they just had to clear out the tubes (Insert $175 for doing so) NOW the water is leaking out of the roof, out of the middle console through the lights, out of the side areas where the air bags are , etc.

Apparently Jeep has had several issues with this over the years but no one has prepared a recall for the issue. So now, I get to look at almost $2000 to change out the entire frame and fix it.

I'm beyond livid right now. So much so that I don't know what to do next....any others have this issue and how did you get it resolved??

- , LaPorte, IN, USA

May 052015

Patriot Limited 2.4L

Jeep needs to take responsibility for their error. They can't just ignore something like water leaking out the dome light. Luckily it hasn't killed anyone or caused an electrical fire.

- , Kissimmee, FL, USA

Sep 222013

Patriot Sport

I purchased a 2008 Jeep in 2008. It s leaked ever since . I brought it to Dan Jeep in Westboro Ma and may times within the first 3 years. They said that Jeep had a design problem that the drains were going in to the car and not out. They said they fixed and replaced all the carpet. over the next time it rained it leaked again. I call them back any they said the the hoses might me clogged. I brought it to a glass company to see if the can blow out the hoses. when they did they said the hoses were not going out of the car just dangling.

my jeep has had water coming in every time it rains.

I can't believe that Chrysler will not do anything about it.!!!!

They should recall all the vehicle and replace with vehicles without sunroofs until they can keep it from leaking.

- , Milford, MA, USA

Jul 192014

Patriot

We purchased this car as a gift for our daughter's 16th birthday. ALL she wanted was a Jeep Patriot. We had a Jeep Cherokee way back in 1995 that had such a leaking problem, Chrysler FINALLY determined that it was a lemon and bought it back. We vowed to NEVER buy another Chrysler product but decided to give them one more chance since, surely, there wouldn't STILL be leaking issues 20 YEARS LATER!!

Of course, it started leaking soon after we bought it in March. It started, as others have written, with water dripping from the dome lights and such. This past Saturday, our daughter got in and the entire inside was soaked...Water was pouring from the headliner, out of the dash, the radio didn't work, water was pouring from the vents, etc, etc, etc. The inside smelled like burning plastic. The seats and carpet were soaked. What to do now?!?!? We certainly can't sell it to someone else. We can't trade it in, either, with so many problems. It's out of warranty and we are stuck. HELP!!!!!!!

- , Brentwood, TN, USA

Sep 022013

Patriot Limited 2.4L

I bought the Jeep Patriot Aug 2013.the following Sept I spotted a leak through the map lights and the middle interior light. I brought it to the dealership. They blamed me because I park under a tree. They said the tree leaves plugged it up which caused the leak. Drive away and let the leaves blow off before you open the sunroof they said.

Now the worst rainfall for the month of June on record in southern Manitoba has done a number on the leaks from the roof. I was nervous, I'll admit it. I thought that I was totally screwed because of buyer beware and then I started doing some research finding out that the Patriot has leak problems documented all over the internet. Tree leaves causing the leaks, REALLY!! THOSE LYING BASTARDS! They had to of known. Like I said it is well documented all over the internet about this water leak problem.

I'm paying a high interest loan because I'm still building my credit rating. My first car loan ever is turning out to be a nightmare. Consumer and corporate affairs said they will mediate if the dealership says they will not help me. Lesson learned I guess. I should have done my research before I bought this lemon!

- , Winnipeg, Manitoba, canada

Aug 022008

Patriot 2.4L

• CVT transmission

Had car to different dealers several times and was told there was no problem. Just blow out drains, BS. Got fed up with these guys and tried adjusting glass. No good either. Put some Dow Corning 111 Silicone paste on it and that worked great, just catches dust so need to clean off and reapply a couple times a year. Kinda crappy to have to do to a new car!!! Like the gas mileage and like in winter but don't like asses at Chrysler for letting this go on. Have 170,000 miles on it and still runs good but will NOT buy another wanna be Jeep!

- , Newton Falls, OH, Papua New Guinea

Jan 312013

Patriot Sport 2.2L I-4

• CVT transmission

Just not expected, bad rain last night, get in car and water starts dripping from the overhead console.

Not a good start to morning, now time to search and see what can be done, hopefully just some clogged drain tubes.

- , Palmyra, NJ, USA

Sep 102010

Patriot North

Sunroof leeks. Every spring, sometimes in summer also. Brought car to dealership, denied there was a problem, said it was fixed, leaked next spring. They even said it was most likely condensation on the sunroof glass. Amount of water leaking said otherwise.

- , Saint-Joseph, Quebec, canada

Jul 062012

Patriot Sport V6

To all the other jeep owners with sunroof leaks, I am with you. I bought this car and took it right to car wash. sunroof leaked to the point where it soaked my entire body. I called jeep the next day and gave them vin they go "oh looks like we have fixed that for the same reason before", but wont cover the work. You have to pay diagnostics fee. Next they tell me the the lines are clogged and this happens on all cars with sunroofs. Bull Crap, i have never had a sunroof leak ever. Its a poor design by jeep and they wont fix it. Next after drains are clogged. It is still leaking, were going to adjust the sunroof. that didn't fix it. Okay now we are going to replace the seal, we cant think of anything else but that. I don't get why jeep wont look at this, there are thousands of people complaining about this problem and nobody will help. I hope chrysler/jeep crashes and burns for this. I have yet to see if this fixes it. DO NOT BUY A JEEP PATRIOT WITH A SUNROOF, NEW, USED, PRIVATE OR AT A DEALERSHIP. YOU ARE IN FOR A WORLD OF TROUBLES. PLEASE READ AGAIN AND AGAIN UNTIL IT SINKS INTO YOUR HEAD. GOOD LUCK, FELLOW JEEP OWNERS WITH THE SAME PROBLEM THAT CANT BE FIXED

- , Mechanicsburg, PA, USA

Sep 262011

Patriot 3.2L

For the third time now I am bringing my 2008 Jeep Patroit to the dealership because water is leaking from my sunroof through my front dome light. They have no solution to the problem. I do not understand how so many people have complained about this and yet Jeep refuses to recall the vehicles. I will never buy another Jeep.

- , Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Jul 152011

• CVT transmission

I was driving while it was raining and afterward i was able to soak up 3 towels worth of water on the floor (on the left front and back seat floors). 3 LARGE towels of water! ridiculous. Now my car has a musty odor in it.

- , Wabeno, WI, USA

Sep 012009

Patriot

Sunroof Leaks; during a car wash or a simple rain. We have had the Jeep to 2 different dealerships to be fixed. FUNNY, there is no record of them fixing the problem, which is obvious since it's still leaking. Each time we took the Jeep to be "fixed" it was still under warranty. NOW that it's not under warranty, it's like pulling nails just to get Chrysler Customer Service to call back and or even attempt to help. My husband is convinced that since there is NO fix to the leaking problem, they just "attempted" to repair it to get it out of warranty. WELL, WE ARE NOT DONE YET!!!!

- , Coweta, OK, USA

Mar 102009

Patriot 4.8L

• CVT transmission

I bought my 2008 Patriot used from an individual in March 2009. It started leaking through the map light and center dome light with the first heavy rain we got. There was actually small leaves in the lens of the lights!?!?!?! I had a mechanic work on it and clean all the drain lines in the roof. They did appear to be clogged...GREAT... problem fixed...couple weeks later another heavy rain...problem NOT fixed!!! Look for another complaint from me!!!

- , Delight, AR, USA

Sep 022011

Patriot Limited

click to see larger images

sun roof leak sun roof leak sun roof leak sun roof leak

I've had several small leaks from the sunroof but nothing major or too damaging. The water would rush down from the center console overhead light and rush down the radio and entire center console.

I went out of town during a huge storm and returned home to my entire car flooded with 4 inches of water. I just now did research on my jeep that I bought used and just see that this is a chronic issue with many jeep patriot owners.

- , Locust Grove, VA, USA

Aug 252011

Patriot

Wanted to buy an American car; home the company stands behind its hype.

- , Erie, PA, USA

Dec 292009

Patriot

Haven been dealing with water leaking in back dome light. Dealer fixed that but now it leaks from the front dome light. The Jeep Patriot has been in the shop 11 times. Chrysler says it qualifies for their buy back program and issued a case number but they ask for me to let a field engineer do testing one more time. Was notified on 08-30-11 that car did leak under testing but they want to now replace windshield. Dealer replaced headliner because of mold and mildew. Unable to drive or ride in Jeep without getting sick. The musty smell is awful and it makes me sick.

I am consulting lemon law attorney, filing a complaint with EPA because the mold is a bio-hazard, and also filing complant with NHTSA. Chrysler refuses to do anything. Car has 22,000 miles. Lemon law in Arkansas expires at 24,000. They think they can just put me off until the mileage runs out and then they get off scott-free. I don't think so! Luckily I have another vehicle to drive. This Jeep can sit in my driveway until they do something. I'm n ot going down without a fight. Will never buy another Chrysler product.

- , Rogers, AR, USA

Oct 032011

Patriot

Bought the car brand new in 2008, never had a single problem till last fall. After it rained water poured out of both front and back ceiling lights and down my driver side door panel. The car was still under warranty so I brought it in. The dealership told me they fixed the leak and that was it. No problems until recently. Two weeks ago water again started to pour out of the lights and also sloshing around in my dash board and leaking out on my gas pedal. Upon contacting the dealership I was told it would not be covered because it was regular maintenance to clean out the sunroof and heater drain. I checked in the manual and it didn't mention sunroof drains or heater drains anywhere, and the dealership never mentioned these drains or that I needed to clean them at all when I was there for the first time. I contacted Chrysler Customer Service and was told that they needed a diagnostic to know what was wrong. Then I was quoted $400 to clean the drains and seal the sunroof, that didn't even include the dashboard water problem. Jeep said they would cover $200 of this repair because I should know to clean my sunroof drains. How would I know this and I was told it was Common sense maintenance. When I declined this offer I was told I would have to pay for the diagnostic that they required me to get. I cant even imagine how much they would have quoted me to fix my dash water problem. Chrysler told me that the reason they would only cover half is because the reason my drain was clogged was due to my environment. Crazy. Im still paying nearly $400 a month on this vehicle and its barely 4 years old. I will not buy another Jeep.

- , Schuylerville, NY, USA

Jun 182011

Patriot Sport

This is the 3rd time with the same problems. First it was just the dome light leaking, which caused bulbs to burn out on my radio. Then the headliner got wet. I had it fixed and a month later, it was back to the same problems. Now, it's leaking from the airbag panel as well, and my cd player has gotten wet on the inside and won't play the cd's without giving an error. It's a constant and ongoing problem with the leaks!

- , Selmer, TN, USA