2009 Jeep Patriot electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Jeep Patriot:

2009 Jeep Patriot Owner Comments

Jun 042016

Little by little the electrical to my car has been going. Im the first owner and first the front power windows, then the horn and then the lights stopped working. Then my car started stalling out of no where when I would accelerate. They say its the PCM but I never abused and always took care of my car.

- Elmwood Park, NJ, USA

Mar 072016

I purchased a 2009 Jeep Patriot in 2012. My sunroof and dome lights have been leaking/pouring water into my car, despite paying to have the Jeep dealers "blow out" the now "too corroded tubes" more than 4-5 times in the past three years. I'm tired of dealing with the subsequent mold and dangerous electrical issues associated with the leaks; not to mention the awful smell and unsightly stains. I almost veered off the road when the stream started pouring out of my dome-light and nearly zapped my hand when trying to wipe off/block the radio, in the midst of the leak right before the radio shorted out, while driving/turning down a city street. When I braked to pull over, even more water came pouring through my light and onto the shifting area, air vents, and ignition. I quickly jumped out of the car and grabbed clothing and towels from my trunk (which I luckily happened to have that day) and began pressing the materials to the dome-lights. While doing so, I felt tapping on my shoulder and looked up to see that my entire roof surrounding the sunroof was soaked and dripping onto me and my seats. Also, the back dome-light was leaking onto my back seats.... this was all on the way to work, during the busy traffic hours of the morning, and the leaks did not cease during my 40 minute, highway drive to work. I had to cover all of my seats and essentially the entire front console and dashboard, with trash bags and clothes to protect the interior of my car while in my office building. The leaks subsided by the time I was done working, but the interior of my car was soaked and the radio and lights did not turn back on for hours. There is now mold in both sets of dome-lights. This is not the first time these leaks have a occurred, obviously, but it was certainly a dangerous experience nonetheless.

- Novi, MI, USA

Jan 272016

Sunroof has been leaking from map light since purchased in 2009. Dealer cleaned sunroof drainline once but claimed it was not a warranty item recent leaks have gotten worse, drains into dashboard. Car radio stopped working due to water damage called dealer and expained problem. Dealer said it would take several days to diagnose problem and would not be covered under warranty. Sunroof drains into dashboard when turning

- Spicewood, TX, USA

Nov 212014

Patriot 4-cyl

Water leaked from map lights. Leaked onto radio, center console. Only way to stop leak was to seal sunroof. Now water is leaking from rear some lights. I gorilla glued the joints and hinges on the tailgates and plastic roof mount. Was unsuccessful to stop leak. Water causing major damage to interior.

- Conroe, TX, USA

Aug 132014

Patriot 4-cyl

I have a 2009 Jeep Patriot at first my Jeep starting to rev up and down then the Jeep would jerk hard then speedometer needle would go from the speed I was going to zero to max it would do that a few times then it would not register at all after that my ABS light would come on my ESC light as well then my front brake would start to grab and lock the front end down, I work at a dealer ship so I unplugged the ABS module and it drove fine no problem expect I have no speed odometer when I got to work I pulled the codes and it told me it was the left front wheel speed sensor so I ordered one and replaced the part and hooked my ABS module back up test drove and checked codes all was fine later that after noon driving home from work I just pick up the kids from daycare it started to do it again this time when my brakes locked up it came to a dead stop I was going 55 mph on the highway I was able fight it to the side of the road and unplug the ABS module again and drove fine went to work the next day pulled codes once more told me it was the right front wheel speed sensor this time I order an new and replaced it, still doing the same thing it keeps jumping back and forth between codes from left to right. I think it might be the ABS module and those can get expensive. I would rather trade it for a Kia before I pay that money. This issues could have killed or severely hurt me and my family my kids where in the car both time.

- Waco, NC, USA

May 042011

Patriot 4-cyl

Numerous leaks in car after rains - even small rains. Water comes in though map lights and drains down front console. Have read that Jeep knows about and will not correct problem. Will try to creal drain tubes ourselves and see if this fixes problem. Causes problems to electrical system, engine light comes on and car alarm will start going off.

- Brookfield, IL, USA

Aug 012013

While pulling out and driving down a parking ramp the engine code lamp illuminated. The vehicle continue to run and I proceeded home. While entering the freeway from an onramp I noted the vehicle would not accelerate normally. The engine RPM would max at 5000 RPM and the vehicle would not gain speed. Later code retrieval noted a obd II code of P0017. By the time I made the appointment for inspection the code reset and turned off. This same code as recurred and reset up to 6 times. The dealership would not troubleshoot the incident with the code not being present.

- San Pedro, CA, USA

Jul 292013

I purchased a 2009 Jeep Patriot in July of 2013 with 27,000 miles. From the very first hard rain fall the sunroof leaked. For the first few months, due to insufficient rainfall, I thought I had not properly closed the sunroof the few times it leaked. However, soon afterwards it became clear that it was leaking. The water enters my interior roof and trails to the lowest point, my dome lights and screw holes, where it exits onto my dash and radio. My radio has been damaged. I took it to a garage last week and they unstopped the drainage tubes for $224. It did not leak for about a week and then I went out this morning, after a heavy rainfall last night, and it was leaking again! I have found and contacted an attorney who has filed a class action lawsuit against Chrysler for this problem.

- Oak Hill, WV, USA

Jun 032014

Vehicle stalls out while driving down the road without any has happened four times now. Sometimes it will restart but usually not and needed to be towed. After swiping it and checking codes it resets and functions normal again and the problem can not be found...but it keeps happening and I keep getting charged for a technicians time that keeps on finding nothing.

- Thunder Bay, MN, USA

Jun 082009

When I purchased the vehicle new in 2009, water came in through the map light and on the driver's side pillar after first rain. Returned to dealer who replaced the seal but problem re-surfaced during next rain. Went to another dealer who cleared the drain lines which seemed to fix the problem, although, for a new vehicle, it seems odd the drains would have been clogged. Did not observe any electrical issues as others have indicated except for the led flashlight in the cargo area dying. This was replaced by died again (possibly the re-charging mechanism had been corrupted by the leak?) but I do not use the light so did not pursue further. Winter of 2012-13 (after 3 year warranty had expired), same leak re-appeared whenever would have precipitation and freezing temperatures followed by a thaw. Since it didn't occur during "normal" precipitation and being in the South where we don't have freezes very often, did not seek repair. Quoted $100-$300 from all dealers in area saying the drain lines cannot simply be blown out with compressed air since the pressure can disconnect them and instead they must remove the head liner and clear them manually. While traveling in July of 2013, experienced heavy rain while vehicle parked level or facing up on an incline (at home, normally park slightly facing down on an incline) and leaks were much worse with driver's side head liner becoming wet. This indicated the rear drains were the ones clogged. I rarely use the sunroof, have never left it open for an extended period and especially avoid opening it during the heavy pollen seasons of the South, so I don't understand how the drains can get clogged and why they cannot easily be cleared (this seems like a design flaw).

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Dec 242010

Patriot 4-cyl

Jeep has leaked on 3 occasions, while raining, comes inside the pillars, into the inside of the Jeep. Water covers gas and brake pads, runs into electrical and ruins carpet. Has been unsuccessfully fixed. Have not driven car in 18 months, had towed back to home. Headed to arbitration, but hear they will re-sell the car and fearful someone will get hurt in this car. Peddles become very slippery when water hits them and do not function correctly.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Oct 012009

Patriot 4-cyl

The sunroof leak has been an ongoing problem since we bought the Jeep, new. It's been "repaired" several times. They blow out the drain lines and tell us not to park near any trees. Then I take it to the carwash and it leaks again. They tell us not to spray the water to direct at the roof. Water gushing through my dome light has washed down through the dash console and now my hands free (U-connect) is malfunctioning. The service dept, charged me to look at it and supposedly fixed it. It's still does not work properly. All the console buttons are sticking. This problem started when the Jeep had a warranty package. Now that it's no longer under warranty, they charge me to "put a bandaid" on it and tell me stay out of the woods... with my Jeep!!!! when is Chrysler going to take responsibility for this?

- Harpers Ferry, WV, USA

Nov 032009

Patriot 4-cyl

Immediately after purchasing the 2009 Jeep Patriot an interior water leak was discovered. I have a receipt for visits to dealer on 11/3/09 with 2282 miles on it. Next visit was 11/17/2009. Another visit on 1/6/10 with 5790 miles on it. Another visit on 9/14/10 at 12170 miles. Yet another visit on 9/24/10 at 12435 miles. Again on 12/7/10 at 14897. I know there were a couple of other visits and I am awaiting print out from service department. It has been to the dealer over 7 times for this problem. Everytime they say it is fixed only to discover it is still leaking. They have sealed, caulked, check drain tubes, etc. They have replaced headliner too. Water comes into the overhead electrical system and runs out of the overhead lights like a faucet or waterfall. Water ponds on the rear cargo area and this area is completely soaked. Water is even down in spare wheel storage. Water comes from all overhead lights depending on pitch of vehicle. Unknown if water is running down interior sides of vehicle or where else water is pooling. Concerned about mold, rust, water damage, electrical problems, etc., that are being caused by water entering vehicle. Dealership has "fixed" it numerous times only to not have it fixed. Vehicle is scheduled for return visit to dealer for another attempt at fixing this problem. Vehicle repairs have been covered by warranty but I am very concerned about the longterm damage and repairs needed after warranty expires and the damage the water is causing to my vehicle. Service techs say don't worry about the water, but this is a serious problem.

- St Charles, MO, USA

Nov 032009

Repeated hesitation, and popping out of gear. This vehicle has a manual transmission, the transmission has already been replaced once for the issue, but problem continues. The gear shifter pops out of first gear, and makes a loud noise when doing clutch and gas from a stand still. The gas pedal, and engine response lags, and bucks on occasion, with out setting a code. These combined make pulling into traffic dangerous.

- Collierville, TN, USA