3.2

2010 Jeep Patriot drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Jeep Patriot:

2010 Jeep Patriot Owner Comments

Oct 292015

Patriot

2010 Jeep with 65,000 miles has "ticking" noise coming from differential. Dealer states that the transmission has to be replaced. Although it is below the 100,000 mile warranty, it is just over the 5 year limit and is no longer covered by the warranty. While it was still under the warranty, the dealer said there was no problem with the transmission and simply changed the fluid and filter. Now I have to pay!

- West Bloomfield, MI, USA

Jun 132012

Patriot 4-cyl

Back in June while driving to Florida from Illinois I was going about 70 mph. In Georgia while on I-75 the little red transmission caution light appeared and my 2010 Jeep began to slow down and scared the hell out of me. I got off the next exit and was lucky to find a Jeep dealer near the exit. The dealer took me right in and checked the transmission fluid and it was fine. She never charged me and we went on our way. Drove to miami and back to Illinois a week later with no problem. 2 weeks ago I drove to nyc and on my way back to Illinois on I-80 the light went on again with no exit in sight, again the Jeep slowed I pulled on the shoulder. Shut the engine off waited 15 min then started to drive again no problem. My main concern is why this happened? and its not a safe feature this slowing down of the Jeep can cause an accident.. also why the Jeep book states on page 367 (see attached) that this can occur when the transmission gets too hot. I was not towing in either case..this Jeep needs to be recalled for my safety..

- Elgin, IL, USA

Jun 182014

Patriot 4-cyl

While driving on I-75 in June 2014 the Jeep temp. Light went on regarding the transmission was overheating and started to slow down. I pulled off the and was lucky to find a Jeep dealer. I explained what happened, and the dealer checked the trans fluid and said it was fine he also said it was the heat from the highway and the outside temp was 90 degrees. We continued and the car ran fine after that. The same thing happened on Sunday Sept 21 2014 driving through pa. On I-80 the light went on and slowed down the outside temp. Was about 72 degrees and I was going about 70 mph., I had to go on the soft shoulder and wait. I shut the engine of a waited about 15 min. I started the car the light went off and we drove to clarion pa. To a motel. Next day we left the motel and drove to il. The light never went on again. I believe this is a major problem due to the fact that the Jeep automatically slowed down in heavy high speed traffic. It put me in a dangerous position. Even in the manual it states that this can happen and the Jeep will downshift to protect the transmission.. page 367- 6 and I was not towing. I feel Jeep has to recall and correct this problem before someone gets into and accident and killed...

- Elgin, IL, USA

Dec 072013

Patriot

I have a 2010 Jeep Patriot sport with 50000 miles on it. I also had the dealership install an auto start for winter months to warm up car. I drove the car on Dec 7 for 10 miles traveling at a speed of 40. I stopped home for 15 minutes and when I restarted my car a red flashing lightning bolt lit up on my dash which was the throttle accompanied by the off road traction control. I backed out the car and it was shaking and loud. I decided to drive another vehicle a few days later I drove it to the dealership taking the backroads and it would not go over 20 mph and shook frequently. I was concerned for my safety. I have a lifetime powertrain engine warranty and thomas Dodge dealership in highland, in is not covering under warranty. They state the throttle is not a component of the engine or power train. The cost of repair is $690. I was wondering if any recalls exist on the Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep in regards to throttle body assembly and to consider my model, make and year.

- Lake Station, IN, USA

Jun 012012

Patriot

The contact owns a 2010 Jeep Patriot. The contact stated that the transmission overheated and the gear shifter could not be moved to shift gears. The transmission overheating warning light illuminated as the failure occurred. The failure was recurring. The dealer performed a diagnostic which was unable to locate a failure code. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000 and the current mileage was 55,000.

- Parker , CO, USA

Jul 242013

Patriot

The contact owns a 2010 Jeep Patriot. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the vehicle lost power and leaked transmission fluid with the illumination of the transmission warning light. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was not notified. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 43,000.

- Aurora, CO, USA