2011 Jeep Patriot drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Jeep Patriot:

2011 Jeep Patriot Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jun 162012

Patriot

In 2012 we had a nail through the tire of the 2011 Jeep Patriot that we bought new. When we took the car to tires plus to have the tire replaced. We were told that they couldn't legally replace just one tire. The tread wear was so awful; uneven, different tread variances, they couldn't match one used tire. How would they pick what tire to match it up too. We ended up with 4 new tires, we were also told at the time the uneven tread was doing damage to shocks and struts. A year later we took it in for new break pads and rotation, again, even with these "new" tires we were told tread was so uneven, it would be loud, be careful, excreta. I took the Jeep into a Jeep dealership for a recall 10/2013 "N01 recall" since I had in there I also opted to get transmission service/filter, they too talked to me about my tire wear. 11/2013ish my husband, stationed in hi purchases a new Jeep as well. Now we are stuck with two of these...2/2014 I find out the vehicle he purchase (not his, but others with same yr/make/model are already being recalled. Then my transmission goes out! a Jeep, we have just owned, higher miles all from hwy 94 from my husband compute when he lived in wi to fortmccoy...straight shot...65mh the whole way. In addition they fix sway bar link, arm control and tell me noise that still exists could be wheel bearing, my alignment was so off, they kept it an extra day. So I'm 5K into my vehicle I owed 3 years, the wheel bearing, alignment, sway bar, arm control, shocks, struts all I believe to whatever (I wish I new) was causing the uneven tread wear. There is something wrong! transmission different issue...or is it? I have been told as mentioned above they couldn't "legally" replace just one tire...then how for the last three years can Jeep legally let me drive my 4 kids in a vehicle that has obvious problems. Yes, I've called dealership, home office and BBB.

- Eau Claire, WI, USA

Aug 152013

Patriot

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Patriot. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the vehicle suddenly lost acceleration power. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was repaired. The contact was unsure of what exactly was repaired. The contact also mentioned that the failure was experienced several times. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 36,900.

- Auburn, MA, USA

Jul 302012

Patriot

Traveling freeway 75 miles per hr transmission overheats light comes on and we lost all power with diesels baring down behind us. Speed drops fast to 60 had to coast out of way of traffic behind us to edge of freeway. Called dealership was told to let it cool down and take it to dealership in burley id. They found nothing on computer. Happened again going 75 last week Sept 8 same thing. Small grandkids in back seat each time this is a dangerous situation since speed drops drastically with cars or diesels behind you and all you can do is coast off. Engine does not quit just cant go anywhere loses all transmission function. Was told this is happening with several of these types of transmission and to drive in cooler weather keep speed down to 65 and when it happens to pull off put in neutral and race engine to cool it I shouldn't have to do that!!!! its a danger.. its not safe!! it happened going 40 in traffic also. In first couple thousand miles took it in numerous times. Found federal investigation stating no recall at the time. Its needs to be recall before someone is killed, accidents have occurred to others.

- Clearfield , UT, USA

Aug 172013

Patriot

Driving on freeway, at approx 65 mph, car whines, then dies. Also, the transmission overheat light comes on all the time. Sometimes it just dies while driving. This is possibly a catastrophic accident. I want action now!!!!!

- Elko, NV, USA

Apr 062011

Patriot 4-cyl

On the second day of ownership, immediately after the first fuel up, we idled through a fastfood drive-through and upon pulling out into traffic, it just died. Scary, but all the cars stopped for us. It started right up. I faxed all the information to the dealer and asked if it was them testing the chip you can remove to prevent car theft (or help repo in their case). They never responded. One change we made is we never topped off fuel after that. It has not happened since. However, the cvt appears to have failed now at 32,000 miles.

- Bowie, TX, USA

May 022012

Patriot 4-cyl

I was driving on nb I-5 in a 2005 Subaru. The vehicle in front of me was this 2011 Jeep Patriot that I am complaining about. We were driving approx. 65mph. I was not tailgatting! the Jeep Patriot's power died. The driver thought she was not getting gas and kept hitting the gas pedal. She never hit the brake. I did not see a brake light and it took me a couple seconds to realize she had slowed, then stopped (that is why I put she was going approx. 30mph). Research shows it takes 2-1/2 time longer to brake if you do not see brake lights. She did not pull over to the median. Needless to say, by the time I slammed on my brakes, I hit her. I was still going about 55mph. My airbags deployed. My 85 year old mother was in the car with me and was seriously injured. I was also injured but was able to recover in a matter of 6-8 weeks. As I research this vehicle, I find that not only the 2011 Patriot has this problem, but so does the 2012 Patriot. When is Jeep going to do something about this problem. Apparently Jeep mechanics know this problem occurs but do not know why. Btw, this was a rental vehicle for the driver of the Patriot.

- Medford, OR, USA