2011 Jeep Patriot drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Jeep Patriot:

2011 Jeep Patriot Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Aug 172013

Driving on freeway, at approx 65 mph, car whines, then dies. Also, the transmission overheat light comes on all the time. Sometimes it just dies while driving. This is possibly a catastrophic accident. I want action now!!!!!

- Elko, NV, USA

Apr 062011

Patriot 4-cyl

On the second day of ownership, immediately after the first fuel up, we idled through a fastfood drive-through and upon pulling out into traffic, it just died. Scary, but all the cars stopped for us. It started right up. I faxed all the information to the dealer and asked if it was them testing the chip you can remove to prevent car theft (or help repo in their case). They never responded. One change we made is we never topped off fuel after that. It has not happened since. However, the cvt appears to have failed now at 32,000 miles.

- Bowie, TX, USA

May 022012

Patriot 4-cyl

I was driving on nb I-5 in a 2005 Subaru. The vehicle in front of me was this 2011 Jeep Patriot that I am complaining about. We were driving approx. 65mph. I was not tailgatting! the Jeep Patriot's power died. The driver thought she was not getting gas and kept hitting the gas pedal. She never hit the brake. I did not see a brake light and it took me a couple seconds to realize she had slowed, then stopped (that is why I put she was going approx. 30mph). Research shows it takes 2-1/2 time longer to brake if you do not see brake lights. She did not pull over to the median. Needless to say, by the time I slammed on my brakes, I hit her. I was still going about 55mph. My airbags deployed. My 85 year old mother was in the car with me and was seriously injured. I was also injured but was able to recover in a matter of 6-8 weeks. As I research this vehicle, I find that not only the 2011 Patriot has this problem, but so does the 2012 Patriot. When is Jeep going to do something about this problem. Apparently Jeep mechanics know this problem occurs but do not know why. Btw, this was a rental vehicle for the driver of the Patriot.

- Medford, OR, USA