4.7

2011 Jeep Patriot steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Jeep Patriot:

2011 Jeep Patriot Owner Comments

Sep 112015

Patriot

"death wobble". I experienced this on a short two hour trip where I couldn't control the card. Every time I hit a bump or tired to turn the car was hard to steer. This Jeep has on 40K on it and is 4 years old. I was travelling on the highway and genuinely feared for my life. I was over halfway to my destination so I got off the highway and took the back roads with my hazards on and went slow. The fact that Jeep is unwilling to reimburse me for the cost of the repair is upsetting. But what is more upsetting is how they have not issued a recall on this vehicle. I have spoken to several people with regards to the exact same issue and not just with the Patriot. This needs to be addressed before someone gets seriously injured or worse. I have no faith in the company now and do not trust the safety of the vehicle.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jun 222015

Patriot

While driving through town (under 40 mph), less than half a mile from departure from my house, the engine cut out. Lost engine power and power steering. Electronic throttle control light and the oil temp light both came on. Was able to move the car to a side street, turned the car off for a minute, and then back on. Upon turning on was able to drive home to switch vehicles. Less than two months later the same issue occurred. Engine power and power steering were lost.

- Gambrills, MD, USA

Oct 132014

Patriot 4-cyl

Took my car into mechanic for four new tires. At that time was told by them that lower ball joints showed signs of abnormal wear and tear. They recommended fixing. As I didn't have the time to get it into the shop at that point, I waited. Took car in for state mandated annual inspection and it failed - at 38000 miles. Not only that but car needed another new tire because ball joint had affected the new tires I just bought. Mechanic stated this shouldn't be happening in a car that's barely 4 years old. I do not do any off road driving - just normal about town and some minimal highway. I am the only owner - bought this car brand new. Seems like this is a defect that ought to be addressed. I see a lot of conversation on the web about this issue. Hope they decide to recall.

- Wilbraham, MA, USA

Jul 012013

Patriot 4-cyl

While driving at 75 mph, the car stalled. It decelerated and the steering wheel locked up. It would not restart and the check engine light and electronic throttle control lights came on. It had to be towed to the dealership. The dealership said they could find nothing wrong with the vehicle and it started right up. A similar incident happened a year ago when I was traveling at 75 mph on a different highway and the dealer couldn't find a problem then either.

- Flagstaff, AZ, USA

Dec 082011

Patriot 4-cyl

Car pulls right when accelerating. Dealer states this is a condition on all 2 wheel drive cars and Jeep from Chrysler. Something in the design.

- Kensington , CT, USA

Aug 162011

Patriot

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Patriot. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, the steering wheel seized and the driver was unable to maneuver the steering. The vehicle was shut off and upon restart, the steering operated as normal. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostics. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 3,000.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Apr 022011

Patriot

The contact owns a 2011 Jeep Patriot sport. While driving at various speeds, the contact noticed that the vehicle would drift to the left intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where they adjusted the alignment however, the vehicle continued to drift to the left. The dealer notified the manufacturer on the contacts behalf and both the dealer and contact were awaiting a response. The current mileage was 900 and the failure mileage was 175.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA