5.6

2012 Jeep Patriot electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Patriot:

2012 Jeep Patriot Owner Comments

Nov 242014

Patriot

Car is less than 3 years old. 42K miles. Purchased from dealer new in 7-24-2012. Occupant restraint controller module failure. We are being charged for replacement part and labor. Cost in excess of $400 plus diagnosis. I see that this is a rampant problem in other Jeep vehicles of similar vintage. The recall recently issued should be extended to this model as well. Part # oc 08035034 part cost $203.13

- Elmhurst, IL, USA

May 152014

Patriot 4-cyl

Had driven approximately 8 miles and was on downward slope when vehicle shut off. Was able to crank it then was driving it the 8 miles back home when it shut off again, this time on a flat roadway. Was unable to crank it this time after several attempts and 45 minutes. When this happened, vehicle completely stopped and lost power steering. Had it towed to dealership and they were unable to determine what had happened and vehicle cranked for them. No errors on the computer. After testing it and driving it 13 miles, no determination made on what caused the problem.

- Waterford, PA, USA

Mar 182014

Patriot 4-cyl

I was stopped at a traffic light and I had a package that was taped shut. I tried to use my keys (that were still in the ignition) to slice through the packages packing tape. My house key didn't cut the tape so I quickly gave up. I now believe that my attempting this was pulling down on my key ring and ignition key. When the light turned green I hit the gas and nothing happened - because my car had shut off. There were no dash lights on (like oil pressure) that you would usually see when a car stalled. The radio was still on but that is normal behavior on this model when you turn off the engine & remove the key; the radio does not turn off until you open the door. I am reporting this because this sounds a lot like the ongoing GM ignition switch problems.

- Mount Prospect, IL, USA

Dec 132013

Patriot

I was driving home from work at approximately 55 mph while passing a tractor trailer up a moderate incline when the engine of my 2012 Jeep Patriot latitude failed. Upon passing the tractor trailer, all of the indicators on the dashboard began to light up - then the indicators, as well as my headlights, completely died. When the lights went out, the engine failed, and my car began to slow to a complete stop on a busy highway. I was barely able to get into a small space on the shoulder of the highway before a tractor trailer very nearly took my life. At first, I thought it was the car battery. I purchased this vehicle 13 days ago, so perhaps the battery had gotten weak on the dealer lot in the winter months. And, after my car was jumped, it began to work. However, the car could only be started once, and the engine will no longer turn over. It has been towed to a local dealership. I drive extensively for a living, and I am afraid that I will die in a car accident in this Jeep Patriot because the car failed completely at highway speeds. I have researched this and have found that it is a problem with 2011-2012 Jeep Patriots. Please enforce a recall!

- Pottsville, PA, USA

Jun 012013

Patriot

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Patriot. The contact stated there were two recalls associated with NHTSA campaign id numbers 13V120000 (fuel system, gasoline) and 13V233000 (air bags, electrical system, seat belts) but was informed that the parts were unavailable. The manufacturer was notified and they could not provide an expected date for the remedy parts. The contact had not experienced failure.

- Lakewood , NJ, USA

Jul 072013

Patriot 4-cyl

Driving downhill on South I-15 through phelan at 4pm approximately 95 degrees outside. Accelerator became non-responsive. Rpms dropped to idle speeds. Vehicle was essentially 'coasting' with the engine running. Unable to accelerate at all. Pumping accelerator was resulting in nothing. Engine temp was not above halfway mark, about 1/3 tank of fuel. No engine warning lights. Changing gears electronically (automatic) not helpful. Was able to make it to off-ramp since I was traveling downhill. Engine promptly died when I came to a complete stop. Upon pulling the key out and re-inserting the electronic throttle control error light illuminated. Engine would not turn over. Attempted to reset computer not helpful. Approximately 45 minutes later (and phone calls for road-side service) etc light went away. Computer reset may have finally taken. Vehicle started with no problem. Drove the final 35 miles home without incident. Could have been a completely different situation had I not been traveling downhill at speed. Have not yet contacted dealer as I am out of new car warranty. Numerous other complaints about issues at speed have me very concerned.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Jun 152013

Patriot

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Patriot. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the computer module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 15,200.

- Window Rock, AZ, USA

Mar 292013

Patriot 4-cyl

The vehicle was purchased approximately two weeks prior to the incident with just shy of 15000 miles on it. Two separate two to three hour trips were made in the vehicle before the incident with no problems. On the tail end of a two and a half hour trip, after cruising between 70 to 75 mph on a major interstate, all of a sudden the vehicle's rpms shot up and the engine lost power. The vehicles behind me nearly rear ended me. I coasted to the shoulder, put the vehicle into park, and turned the vehicle off. I then cranked the vehicle and continued driving. The same incident happened again approximately fifteen miles further. I pulled over, turned the vehicle off, and then turned it back on, attempting to reach my destination if possible. This incident then happened a third time, approximately 5 to 10 miles further, once again on the same interstate, but this time in the middle of city traffic. I coasted to the shoulder and attempted to restart the vehicle. At this point the vehicle would not start. We had the vehicle towed and sent to a dealership where they could not recreate the problem. The cpu did not report any error codes. Each time this happened, I was nearly rear ended as I was cruising at interstate speeds in heavy traffic. The vehicle is still being inspected, but the dealerships cannot seem to recreate the problem, which is a big problem because I will be moving across country in two months and cannot risk this happening again. This vehicle as it stands is a danger not only to the driver but for other drivers on the road near the vehicle.

- Florence, MS, USA

Feb 272013

Patriot

While driving to work, I was slowing down to stop behind a bus but then had the opportunity to pass the bus. As I tried to switch lanes, my car stalled and I was stuck in between two lanes. I had to slowly drift my car to the side of the road and could hardly steer it. Once pulled over to the side of the road I tried to restart but the car would not restart. After sitting for five minutes, the vehicle restarted and I was able to drive without a problem. The first dealership said that it could have stalled because it was wet outside, which is completely unreasonable. At the second dealership, I didn't receive a much better explanation. They said that it could have been static electricity which caused it to turn off. As of right now, it has not happened again but it has not been a week since the incident.

- Towson, MD, USA

Feb 072013

Patriot 4-cyl

Stopped my 2012 Patriot at a light to turn left. I stepped on gas pedal to accelerate forward but no acceleration/revving occurred. When the pedal was depressed no resistance was felt but rather the pedal went to the floor with no acceleration/revving twice. I repeated this again with no acceleration/revving. On the third attempt the Patriot accelerated forward. The service department said to turn off engine and restart the vehicle to get the electrical system in sync. The vehicle was driven on highway for 30 minutes then 15 city traffic, air temp 38 degrees, pavement dry to wet (melting snow).

- Broadview Hts, OH, USA

Aug 022012

Patriot 4-cyl

We have now had 2 episodes of our 2012 Jeep Patriot suddenly losing power while driving on the interstate at between 65 to 70 mph. The first time was on I39 in southern Illinois when the temperature was in the 90S. We were able to pull off on to the shoulder. After several attempts we were able to restart the car and got to the nearest gas station. The indicator showed almost 1/2 tank of gas but after filling up the car ran well. We were listening to the radio and heard a report that several gas stations in southern wi had gotten gas contaminated with water. Since we live in that area we decided that this had been the problem. We did not report the incident. On Sunday, 2/3/13, I was traveling on I94 in wi, temp 6 degrees, between 1/4 and 1/2 tank.. again, the car began to lose power. I was able to pull off the road, barely, called Jeep for assistance. The Jeep would not restart at first, then, after 10 minutes did restart but wouldn't keep running. I was towed 45 miles to the nearest dealer. In the morning, the car started, the Jeep garage checked it on the computer and found nothing. They thought that the gas line might have frozen up. This did not seem logical, but he did give me verification that it had been checked out and felt the car was safe to drive. I am very concerned about this happening again. We were lucky, but this could have caused a terrible accident.

- Spring Green, Wi, WI, USA

Sep 062012

Patriot 4-cyl

Driving 65 mpg car just shut down in traffic, barely got it off line of traffic, could not get it started, called tow truck, was a hot day, and a couple of hours later tow truck came and towed us to nearest Jeep dealer, after taking it off the tow truck at the dealer, it immediately started. The put it on the computer said they couldn't find anything and did not know how to proceed, they were concerned but unable to help. We then finished our trip and brought it back to our local dealer, and they were unable to find anything either. Do not like the possibility that this can or will happen again, next time it could cause an accident.

- Yorkville, IL, USA

Sep 022012

Patriot 4-cyl

This is the second incident that I have had with this car. The first incident was very similar. This time I was coming back from Arizona into California and I was on the 15 South between barstow and victorville. I was traveling at approximately 70 mph in the left lane. The cruise control was previously, but had been cancelled and I had traveled appr. 10 miles after canceling it. Without warning the throttle revved and became unresponsive. The car stalled and I was unable to get to the right shoulder. I pulled over to the left shoulder. The fuel gauge read halfway between 1/4 and 1/2. the engine would not restart. I called roadside assistance and had the car towed to the dealer in victorville. When the car was taken off the tow truck, I was able to start it again. I drove home the rest of the way. I took the car to the dealership 2 weeks after this incident to have it looked at. The car had not been driven at all since the incident. The dealer ran diagnostic tests and concluded the issue was with the transmission overheating due to mud. I was advised the transmission was designed to shut off if it got too hot with little to no warning. This is the second time this has happened with this vehicle and I have not observed any warning light on the dashboard before the engine cuts off.

- Chatsworth, CA, USA

Jul 222012

Patriot

This is the first of 2 incidents I have had with this car. I was coming back into California from Arizona on the 40 West with cruise control on at 75 mph. Without indication, the throttle revved to 4500 RPM and the car lost speed. The engine was unresponsive to the gas pedal. I cancelled cruise control, and from the left lane was able to get over to the right shoulder. When we came to a stop, the engine died. The fuel gauge read just over 1/4 of a tank. The car would not start again. We called roadside assistance and they called a tow truck. The dealership was closed and we had to stay the night in a hotel. The next morning the car was taken to the dealership. The tech found no issues and was able to start the car with no incident. The diagnostic revealed no codes or errors. We were able to drive home the rest of the way. My Jeep is a 4X4 with the trail rated package.

- Chatsworth, CA, USA

Oct 152012

Patriot

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Patriot. The contact stated that while reversing from a residential driveway, the vehicle stalled. All of the warning lights started to illuminate on the instrument panel. The vehicle would not restart. The dealer was notified of the failure and sent a technician to inspect the vehicle. The technician informed the contact that the battery failed and jump started the vehicle. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The failure mileage was 1,783.

- Bethpage, NY, USA