2012 Jeep Patriot engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Patriot:

2012 Jeep Patriot Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jun 152014

Patriot

While on the interstate, I was in the fast lane attempting to pass another vehicle when I started to hear this strange noise and I began to lose acceleration and the transmission light with the circle around it came on. It was a very scary thing because I had a car behind me that was very close. I was able to pull over to the shoulder. I pulled out my owners manual to see what was going on. I followed the instructions by putting it in neutral and idling it for a few minutes. It eventually stopped making that noise and the light went out and I started out on my way again. I still had a 2 hour drive left on my trip and I was scared it would happen again before I could get home. I took it to my local Jeep dealership this morning and basically was told there were no sensors lighting up and they couldn't fix the problem if they couldn't replicate it. So I'm left with a car that I can't trust.

- Memphis , TN, USA

May 042014

Patriot

While driving my 2012 Jeep Patriot sport 4X4 down the autobahn at around 120km(74 mph) my Jeep started making a deep whirling/humming sound. While accelerating it is a low deep sounding whirling/humming sound, while decelerating the whirling/humming sound becomes louder deep sounding whirling/humming. I tried calling the Jeep dealership here in germany but was basically told they could not be of any help do to my Jeep being american spec. Also, I find it absurd that my Jeep has recalls and I was never informed and of course I've been told that I cannot get them fixed over here.

- Apo, AE, USA

Dec 132013

Patriot

I was driving home from work at approximately 55 mph while passing a tractor trailer up a moderate incline when the engine of my 2012 Jeep Patriot latitude failed. Upon passing the tractor trailer, all of the indicators on the dashboard began to light up - then the indicators, as well as my headlights, completely died. When the lights went out, the engine failed, and my car began to slow to a complete stop on a busy highway. I was barely able to get into a small space on the shoulder of the highway before a tractor trailer very nearly took my life. At first, I thought it was the car battery. I purchased this vehicle 13 days ago, so perhaps the battery had gotten weak on the dealer lot in the winter months. And, after my car was jumped, it began to work. However, the car could only be started once, and the engine will no longer turn over. It has been towed to a local dealership. I drive extensively for a living, and I am afraid that I will die in a car accident in this Jeep Patriot because the car failed completely at highway speeds. I have researched this and have found that it is a problem with 2011-2012 Jeep Patriots. Please enforce a recall!

- Pottsville, PA, USA

Nov 292013

Patriot 4-cyl

I have a 2012 Jeep Patriot, I purchased new about a year 9 mouths ago, it have $13000 miles, I was driving on the freeway about 60 mph and the engine quit running as if it ran out of gas, I pulled over in very heavy traffic and tried starting after checking fuses and all possibilities. I had the car towed to the dealer and now the fun begins. After 2 hours and dropping the car at the dealer the car started, I left the car at the dealer and they said nothing is wrong with the car. After investigating the web I found this site and we present the information I found here to the dealer, the dealer wants to return to car and at this time I am not willing to except the car with this unsafe condition. Jeep should recall these cars and fix asap before a fatality takes place. The Jeep dealer will not do anything at this point. I would like a suggestion because this car is not safe to drive.

- Marina, CA, USA

Oct 212013

Patriot

I was driving down the road when all of a sudden my car felt like it pulled back then just shut off in the middle of the road thankfully there wasn't a car behind me or there would have been a serious accident. After a few tries the car started, so I drove it home then the next morning I took it to the dealer. They stated after getting it back to me 2 days later that there wasn't a code, so they'd cleared the check engine light and gave it back to me. The following week I'm driving down the main road on my way home from work and the car does the same thing. This time it was really scary, because it was rush hour and I almost got hit by a car. I attempted to start it several times then sat for a bit with the four ways then tried it again. It started up and I drove it right to the dealer. I was so shaken it took a few minutes before I finally let them know what happened again. I left the car with them then the next day they called me to come get it. I went in where they told me that it had been the crankshaft sensor that had caused the problem. I'm truly afraid to drive my vehicle I keep wondering if it will happen again. I never had problems with my used cars, but I got a new car thinking I wouldn't have to worry about anything and now I have to worry about this car turning off in the middle of the highway.

- Vineland, NJ, USA

Aug 192011

Patriot 4-cyl

Engine stalls out and loss of power steering, brake, at highway speed caused me to veer off the road several times. Couldn't stop during one engine stall in town and turned into a cvs pharmacy lot and crashed into and island curb, engine stall pulled of hwy into a cemetery and hit a post during a stall while turning because of loss of power steering. While pulling to shoulder Jeep swayed and pulled into ditch when engine stalled at hwy speed. While trying to correct the vehicle went air born at night...

- Belton, MO, USA

Jun 252013

Patriot

My wife was driving on I-80 East at highway speeds. This happened about 2 hours after starting including some hilly areas but all high speed highway driving. The car suddenly lost power and she had to pull off the interstate on the shoulder. After calling several times and waiting about 20 minutes, the car restarted and she was able to drive 6 miles at lower power/low speeds to an exit where she was advised to put oil in the car. After cooling off for 20 minutes more, she was able to start the car and continue her trip (another 100 miles) without incident.

Jun 252013

Jul 072013

Patriot

I was driving on us 23 South just entering toledo when the vehicle lost power and after driving 4 hours at highway speeds. I was going about 60 mph at the time. As this has happened before, I pulled off at the exit at dropping power..could the car to go at most 10 mph and pulled into a service station to check fluids and refuel. After a few minutes the car restarted and was able to drive again. Taking the car into dealer but they already disavowed any recalls or reported troubles with the Jeep.

Jul 072013

Patriot 4-cyl

Driving downhill on South I-15 through phelan at 4pm approximately 95 degrees outside. Accelerator became non-responsive. Rpms dropped to idle speeds. Vehicle was essentially 'coasting' with the engine running. Unable to accelerate at all. Pumping accelerator was resulting in nothing. Engine temp was not above halfway mark, about 1/3 tank of fuel. No engine warning lights. Changing gears electronically (automatic) not helpful. Was able to make it to off-ramp since I was traveling downhill. Engine promptly died when I came to a complete stop. Upon pulling the key out and re-inserting the electronic throttle control error light illuminated. Engine would not turn over. Attempted to reset computer not helpful. Approximately 45 minutes later (and phone calls for road-side service) etc light went away. Computer reset may have finally taken. Vehicle started with no problem. Drove the final 35 miles home without incident. Could have been a completely different situation had I not been traveling downhill at speed. Have not yet contacted dealer as I am out of new car warranty. Numerous other complaints about issues at speed have me very concerned.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Jun 212013

Patriot

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Patriot. The contact stated that while parked with the engine running, the vehicle stalled. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Sanford, NC, USA

Jun 152013

Patriot 4-cyl

While driving my vehicle on the highway, we experienced a total loss of engine power. The Jeep was at speed 75-80mph when the vehicle began to decelerate, power steering was lost, and the engine died completely. Fortunately we were in a sparsely populated highway and were able to pull over safely, but it could have been far worse had there been anyone around us. I have no idea what happened exactly, but we were unable to start the engine again and had to have it towed 30 minutes to the nearest dealer. Upon this happening, I spoke with the jim click Chrysler / Jeep dealership in tucson where it was going to, and this is where it all went further downhill. Not only did they not really care that this had happened, but hey, it's Saturday man, and we're out of here soon, so good luck and sorry about that. We can help you on Monday, but can't answer any questions, hope you can find a ride home, oh and just leave your car outside the Nissan shop (really!?). not only was this a highly unsafe failure at speed, on the highway, but the followup was so poor that I am furious about the customer-service level from the folks at the local place. I guess it's a good thing nobody was seriously injured.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Feb 012013

Patriot

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Patriot. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled without warning. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer; however they were unable to duplicate the failure. The failure was reported to the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 6,000. The current mileage was 8,092.

- Titusville, FL, USA

Mar 072012

Patriot 4-cyl Diesel

The contact owns a 2012 Jeep Patriot. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, the engine stalled and failed to restart. There were no prior warnings. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer for diagnosis where they were unable to locate a trouble code. The failure recurred on two separate occasions while the contact was traveling at high speeds. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 5,000. Updated 07/10/13

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Mar 292013

Patriot 4-cyl

The vehicle was purchased approximately two weeks prior to the incident with just shy of 15000 miles on it. Two separate two to three hour trips were made in the vehicle before the incident with no problems. On the tail end of a two and a half hour trip, after cruising between 70 to 75 mph on a major interstate, all of a sudden the vehicle's rpms shot up and the engine lost power. The vehicles behind me nearly rear ended me. I coasted to the shoulder, put the vehicle into park, and turned the vehicle off. I then cranked the vehicle and continued driving. The same incident happened again approximately fifteen miles further. I pulled over, turned the vehicle off, and then turned it back on, attempting to reach my destination if possible. This incident then happened a third time, approximately 5 to 10 miles further, once again on the same interstate, but this time in the middle of city traffic. I coasted to the shoulder and attempted to restart the vehicle. At this point the vehicle would not start. We had the vehicle towed and sent to a dealership where they could not recreate the problem. The cpu did not report any error codes. Each time this happened, I was nearly rear ended as I was cruising at interstate speeds in heavy traffic. The vehicle is still being inspected, but the dealerships cannot seem to recreate the problem, which is a big problem because I will be moving across country in two months and cannot risk this happening again. This vehicle as it stands is a danger not only to the driver but for other drivers on the road near the vehicle.

- Florence, MS, USA

Feb 272013

Patriot

While driving to work, I was slowing down to stop behind a bus but then had the opportunity to pass the bus. As I tried to switch lanes, my car stalled and I was stuck in between two lanes. I had to slowly drift my car to the side of the road and could hardly steer it. Once pulled over to the side of the road I tried to restart but the car would not restart. After sitting for five minutes, the vehicle restarted and I was able to drive without a problem. The first dealership said that it could have stalled because it was wet outside, which is completely unreasonable. At the second dealership, I didn't receive a much better explanation. They said that it could have been static electricity which caused it to turn off. As of right now, it has not happened again but it has not been a week since the incident.

- Towson, MD, USA

Jan 112013

Patriot 4-cyl

On interstate highway at highway speed on cruise control. Instant engine stall. Fuel gauge reads 3/8 full. This happened twice in the span of 5 hours. First stall - towed to dealership in bowling green ky. The engine started right up at the dealership. No engine fault codes were available. Dealership blamed it on bad gas. Second stall - same conditions near memphis tn. Aaa added one gallon of fuel, the engine started right up. Was able to continue the trip as long as we kept the fuel above 1/2 tank full. Both incidents could have been a crash had there been traffic, fortunately we coasted to the shoulder.

- Sellersburg, IN, USA

Feb 072013

Patriot 4-cyl

Stopped my 2012 Patriot at a light to turn left. I stepped on gas pedal to accelerate forward but no acceleration/revving occurred. When the pedal was depressed no resistance was felt but rather the pedal went to the floor with no acceleration/revving twice. I repeated this again with no acceleration/revving. On the third attempt the Patriot accelerated forward. The service department said to turn off engine and restart the vehicle to get the electrical system in sync. The vehicle was driven on highway for 30 minutes then 15 city traffic, air temp 38 degrees, pavement dry to wet (melting snow).

- Broadview Hts, OH, USA

Feb 022013

Patriot 4-cyl

While traveling at highway speeds on interstate 5 near bakersfield California, and under cruise control, my 2012 Jeep Patriot stalled and lost power to the tires. At that moment, the check engine, electronic stability control, and electric systems (red lightning bolt) lights all began to flash. I was able to pull off the freeway safely. Being only a few miles from my eventual destination, I attempted to continue to drive the vehicle. I was able to keep the vehicle in gear at very low rpms (sub 2500). At rpms over 2500, however, the engine would misfire and I would experience no acceleration. With the vehicle still partially disabled, I was able to reach my destination. I turned the vehicle off, unloaded my luggage, and then returned to inspect the engine compartment. Seeing that all belt, hose, and cable connections were secure, and all fluids at their proper levels, I restarted the engine and drove the vehicle successfully for about a mile, with no evidence of the recent symptoms. Being that the vehicle is still so new, and well maintained, this particular incident was particularly alarming.

- Santa Barbara, CA, USA

Jan 252013

Patriot 4-cyl

The following incident has occurred twice within the last week and a half: Today, while driving (luckily coming to a stop) my Jeep began shaking violently and the engine shut off. It restarted and drove normally. Last weekend, while backing out of a parking space, the check engine light flashed and I immediately lost steering (soon realizing that the vehicle had shut off). Again, it restarted and drove normally. Had this occurred while driving on the interstate at a higher speed I'm sure the consequences could have been worse that causing concern. However, I have read on the Jeep forum that this problem has been occurring in 2011 and 2012 Jeep Patriots at higher speeds, one with a fatality. That alone is very disheartening. My Jeep currently has 10, 430 miles on it, I bought it in April of 2012.

- Jacksonville Beach, FL, USA