2012 Jeep Patriot steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Jeep Patriot:

2012 Jeep Patriot Owner Comments

Jun 052015

While turning into a parking spot the bolt in the ball joint broke causing damage to the axle, ball joint, and A-arm. After having the Jeep loaded on a flat bed and taken to a dealer for repair the mechanics told me I was lucky it happened in a parking lot rather than on the bypass I had just driven at which the speed limit is 70. If it had happened there it most likely would have been a very serious accident being the Jeep would have been uncontrollable. Has there been any talks of a recall for this problem ? I am hearing this is a problem that happens a lot with the factory installed parts but the after market parts seem to be ok so far. I am sure you are thinking it must be my driving and off roading but I only drive paved roads and have never had a ticket in the 34 years I have been driving.

- New Sharon, IA, USA

Jul 152014

Patriot 4-cyl

I was driving my vehicle on an interstate in houston, Texas at 71 mph and suddenly my engine stalled and I could not control my vehicle. Several vehicles behind me had to swerve around me and nearly hit my vehicle. My vehicle eventually came to a stop and I was able to re-start the engine. The vehicle I was driving is a 2012 Jeep Patriot with 42,700 miles on it. I have had 2 previous warranty recalls fixed on this vehicle - one related to a fuel transfer tube and the other for a vehicle occupant restraint.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

Oct 212013

I was driving down the road when all of a sudden my car felt like it pulled back then just shut off in the middle of the road thankfully there wasn't a car behind me or there would have been a serious accident. After a few tries the car started, so I drove it home then the next morning I took it to the dealer. They stated after getting it back to me 2 days later that there wasn't a code, so they'd cleared the check engine light and gave it back to me. The following week I'm driving down the main road on my way home from work and the car does the same thing. This time it was really scary, because it was rush hour and I almost got hit by a car. I attempted to start it several times then sat for a bit with the four ways then tried it again. It started up and I drove it right to the dealer. I was so shaken it took a few minutes before I finally let them know what happened again. I left the car with them then the next day they called me to come get it. I went in where they told me that it had been the crankshaft sensor that had caused the problem. I'm truly afraid to drive my vehicle I keep wondering if it will happen again. I never had problems with my used cars, but I got a new car thinking I wouldn't have to worry about anything and now I have to worry about this car turning off in the middle of the highway.

- Vineland, NJ, USA

Jun 152013

Patriot 4-cyl

While driving my vehicle on the highway, we experienced a total loss of engine power. The Jeep was at speed 75-80mph when the vehicle began to decelerate, power steering was lost, and the engine died completely. Fortunately we were in a sparsely populated highway and were able to pull over safely, but it could have been far worse had there been anyone around us. I have no idea what happened exactly, but we were unable to start the engine again and had to have it towed 30 minutes to the nearest dealer. Upon this happening, I spoke with the jim click Chrysler / Jeep dealership in tucson where it was going to, and this is where it all went further downhill. Not only did they not really care that this had happened, but hey, it's Saturday man, and we're out of here soon, so good luck and sorry about that. We can help you on Monday, but can't answer any questions, hope you can find a ride home, oh and just leave your car outside the Nissan shop (really!?). not only was this a highly unsafe failure at speed, on the highway, but the followup was so poor that I am furious about the customer-service level from the folks at the local place. I guess it's a good thing nobody was seriously injured.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Feb 272013

While driving to work, I was slowing down to stop behind a bus but then had the opportunity to pass the bus. As I tried to switch lanes, my car stalled and I was stuck in between two lanes. I had to slowly drift my car to the side of the road and could hardly steer it. Once pulled over to the side of the road I tried to restart but the car would not restart. After sitting for five minutes, the vehicle restarted and I was able to drive without a problem. The first dealership said that it could have stalled because it was wet outside, which is completely unreasonable. At the second dealership, I didn't receive a much better explanation. They said that it could have been static electricity which caused it to turn off. As of right now, it has not happened again but it has not been a week since the incident.

- Towson, MD, USA