NHTSA — Engine Problems

2014 Jeep Patriot (Page 1 of 2)

2014 Jeep Patriot engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Jeep Patriot:

2014 Jeep Patriot Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 032017

Patriot

I've complained here 2 weeks ago but now an update -- today was the second time which was more serious as not only the etc light came on, but the mil light and then the eac light. After stalling and restarting and plugging my way home -- while at a stop light, foot on brake on a hill, the car seemed to RPM very highly and seemed to want to accelerate (while a pedestrian crossed in front of me at the light). At that time -- or around that time -- all the idiot lights came on -- on the instrument panel. The car was stationary, but appeared to swoop into high gear while sitting with brake on pedal. It then dwindled down to the previous 3 lights. Later when I made it home after several stalls, I went out to start it. The mil light lights first, and although it's suppose to warn me about seat-belts that has stopped. Then the etc light comes on after about 1 minute or so, and the eac which stays on.I've never had a car do this ever! so dangerous! the seatbelt light? this has got to be electrical. Chrysler has never fixed their Jeep problems -- this is a repeated issue with all of their Jeep. I was in downtown duluth going only 30 mph but wouldn't have been able to go past that speed as it kept attempting to stall out. I'm sorry I couldn't take pictures while in the midst of a panic.

- Duluth, MN, USA

Dec 182016

Patriot

While driving to work the car attempted to stall and the etc light came on. The car seemed to go neutral, then gag, then regained it's composure. I immediately pulled off. Car was in cold weather but never had this issue before, in mn. Temps the manual said it was the etc electric throttle control, but didn't indicate it was a major concern, unless light stayed on. What would be a major concern other than getting rear ended by a pile of cars" I've never had this with any car, it was totally a new light I've never seen. I made it to work afterwards. On the way back home, the etc light came on again -- flashing, then off -- car stayed rolling. Perhaps it is more inclined to stall going uphill with the etc, and while it's rolling downhill, less inclined to stall" who knows, but I don't think this is just a couple Patriots out there, because there's already more than 500 people who've complained of this issue. I contacted dealer - but they did not admit to any recalls for my Patriot - even when I stated others have had this exact issue. I am very reluctant to take my Jeep anywhere but a few blocks in this winter weather. This was truly the first time I felt unsafe in it. Mileage is 89,000. However, should an accident occur I will certainly sue the company.

- Duluth, MN, USA

Dec 122016

Patriot

In August 2016 driving along and the car stalled and teh engine light and electrical light and my 4 wheel drive light came on.the four wheel drive stayed on as well and teh car sputtered then stopped.would not go.had it towed to a mechanic and he said the electronic body throttle needed replaced.ridiculous, I contacted the dealership but didnt hear back so I had it fixed and replaced.Monday decemeber 12th while driving home from work at 45 miles an hour my Jeep stalled and then completely died on teh road.I managed to get it off the road at a coast.had it towed again and the mechanic said I need a new engine. This is what happened the mechanic said "due to abrasive debris in the balance shaft bearings, these engines may have a loss of engine oil pressure, possibly resulting in an engine stall or engine failure, " said NHTSA in its summary of the problem. "if the engine stalls while driving, it may increase the risk of a crash." The same as teh recall, I called the dealership and they said my warranty expired and my Jeep was not on teh recall.just because it wasnt on teh list does not mean there could not be the same problem.my Jeep did teh same thing twice while driving, stalled and then died.

- Waldoboro, ME, USA

Sep 042016

Patriot

The transmission fill pipe broke off and was hanging under the car. Luckily we noticed that something was hanging off the car while it was parked, my boyfriend reached under the car to see what it was and it came off in his hand. Had it fallen off while the car was in motion it could have caused an accident or it could have fallen off and we would have never noticed it and had problems with the transmission at some point. The dealership service department pretended like they'd never hear of this happening before but a quick internet search shows that this is an issue that many Patriot and caliber owners have experienced. I also suspect that a lot of these have fallen off without the owners even realizing it.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Nov 172016

Patriot

Recall with no remedy yet. In addition we have experienced loss of power in the car. I have children. I don't feel it is safe for me to drive with them.

- Manhattan Beach, CA, USA

Nov 152016

Patriot

My husband and I purchased a 2014 Jeep Patriot at the end of 2013. I use the vehicle to drive from home to work and back. Currently it has 21458 miles. From the start the clock has been dropping time. I have taken it back to the dealer to get the clock fixed. After being fixed it still continued to drop time but before I could return it to the dealer another problem arose. On 9/28/2016 the engine would cut out each time it was started. It had to be towed to the dealer for repair. They said the wcm was bad, this not only caused the engine to cut out but also cause the clock to lose time. Now here we are again with the same problem. 11/15/2016 - when started the engine cuts out but within a few hours or the next day I can start it up but this time did not cut out. This problem has made me very uneasy. I am taking a chance when I leave home. It just so happened when both incidents occurred I have been lucky enough to be at home.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Nov 152016

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Oct 112016

Patriot

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Patriot. While driving approximately 40 mph, the traction control and check engine warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle started to vibrate abnormally and stalled. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Paisley, FL, USA

Aug 182016

Patriot

My engine light has been popping on and off for the last 6 weeks. Could not find the issue that was causing it.now the last 2 weeks my dash light that signals a electrical throttle issue.it was having issues of gaining speed and decelerating.yesterday August 18th it put my Jeep into 4 wheel drive and my engine light plus the throttle light came on.I could not move my Jeep I was fortunate that I was sitting still in a parking lot.I had only returned to my car after work and turned it on and this is what it did.it is at the repair shop now waiting on what the issue is and how it cam about..

- Waldoboro, ME, USA

Aug 112016

Patriot

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Patriot. While depressing the accelerator pedal at 55 mph, the vehicle began to independently decelerate. The check engine, change oil error message, and an abnormal warning light displayed on the instrument panel. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle body control failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 63,000.

- Westminister, SC, USA

Jul 042016

Patriot

This vehicle is not on the recall from December 2014, however is presenting with the same as listed problems. It stalls when driving over 65 miles an hour a light comes on and then after car sits 20 min it will start up again. I drive a lot and have a famil.. this is terribly dangerous. It has happened 2 to 3 times in the past couple of weeks

- Hope, KY, USA

Aug 202015

Patriot

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Patriot. While driving various highway speeds, the vehicle stalled without warning. The failure recurred. The dealer was unable to diagnose the cause of the failure. The contact stated that the failure was directly related to NHTSA campaign number: 13V552000 (engine); however, the vehicle was not included in the recall. The approximate failure mileage was 31,000. Updated 06/29/16

- Mims, FL, USA

Apr 242016

Patriot

2014 Jeep Patriot 6 months ago driving on interstate the acceleration speed went from 70 mps to 25 mps almost hit by 18 wheeler truck took into dealership stated the speed SE sor was defected and repaired. On April 25 car acceleration wslowed down and car was throttling. Dealership stated codes were transmission issues, cvt shiffted out of transmission. Unhappy only had car 2 years seeking legal advice immediately! car is very unsafe on interstate.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Feb 192016

Patriot

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Patriot. While driving 50 mph, the etc warning light illuminated and the vehicle lost power. In addition, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Fort Payne, AL, USA

Oct 142014

Patriot

The contact owns a 2014 Jeep Patriot. While idling at a stop light, the vehicle jerked forward and in reverse. In addition, the vehicle had steam coming from the hood, there was an abnormal odor, and the tire pressure warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the failure could not be diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure had occurred approximately three times. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 25,069.

- Jacksonville, NC, USA

Sep 212015

Patriot

My car has stalled completely over a dozen times while driving or even just from being parked and trying to move forward or backward. The first time I took it to the dealer was after I was driving on the freeway and the car completely shut off. I turned on my emergency lights and moved to the left shoulder. Thankfully other vehicles realized something was wrong and let me move out of the way. I could've hurt some one else or myself. I was parked for 5 minutes when I tried to start it again but the car was hesitant. I tried again and was able to get out of the freeway safely and it shut off again a few miles from there. I then had it towed to the dealer. They stated that there were no error codes and that the car was okay. Now again on Oct 8th 2015 it did it again will driving on a city street. After letting it sit I was able to get home and after 20 minutes I drove it to the dealer and it stalled again down the street from the dealer. I had to get it towed in case there were error codes on the software. They've had my car for 4 days and they have already called that there are no error codes. They have had technicians try to duplicate the problem both times but no luck. I refuse to drive the car. I will not put my life or any one else in danger.

- San Martin, CA, USA

Sep 242015

Patriot

I was on a 300 mile road trip. I was on the highway with cruise control on around 70-73 mph and driving on fairly level road (no hills). The transmission downshifted and the engine RPM went up between 4500-5000. The transmission would not down shift automatically. I had to turn off the cruise control and slow down for it to shift. This happened 3 times on the trip. There is less than 25000 miles on the vehicle. Thinking seriously about getting rid of this vehicle before I get stuck with it.

- Minot, ND, USA

Jun 122014

Patriot

When making a turn at a stop light or merging into traffic at a low speed, engine dies but will restart after it's put back into park & restarted. This has happened seven times & one time when not turning & usually when you are turning into oncoming traffic and has been in for repairs each time. Service can't diagnose the issue. Vehicle does not give any indication that engine will die. Traction control light comes on if it dies while turning but if not turning, vehicle engine simply shuts off, as if ignition has been turned off but vehicle has to be in park as opposed to being in drive when engine dies. The engine is quiet & you can't tell it's died & you have no steering control. I've almost been in three accidents, one with a truck-trailer waiting to turn but stopping about a foot away from behind me. My mom was in a high school parking lot after a game & almost rolled into some high school kids & their parents B/C she didn't realize she was rolling backwards until my brother pulled the E-brake. The dealership I purchase from told me that Chrysler deems it a lemon. I opened a case with Chrysler, they wasted my time & finally told me that ncdsusa.org deems it a lemon. I waste more time to open a case with ncdsusa.org & send them my repair orders & they go through the trial & tell me that they do not deem it a lemon but that since the dealership has said it's in working order that my case is declined. This vehicle is a death trap & Chrysler doesn't care that an unsafe vehicle is on the road, that I've almost been in three accidents & could have died when the truck and trailer almost rear-ended me and that it's not just my family or myself (if I survive) that will be filing a lawsuit but any other parties involved because I will tell the other party and they could be sued by them as well. I've given dealerships chances to get this off the road but they refuse to help.

- Redmond, WA, USA

Sep 132014

Patriot

Purchased a 2014 Jeep Patriot (used) on 03/15/2014 was going to work at 5am. All of a sudden was in 2 lane Jeep started loosing power, skipping bad, it did not wont to run!!! finally got it out of the road. This was in August of 2015. Called my husband he came we got it back home. Police stopped to see if I was ok now I called the Jeep recall place and gave them my VIN number said no recalls. So now the Jeep will not start when I turn the ignition on! have to do it several times to get it to crank!!! we live up on mountain now it started again the same thing!!!! hesitates going up the mountain and also on straight flat road!!! so what am I suppose to do"??" it scares me thinking I am going to get stranded on side of road anytime, especially at 5 in the mornings!!!! still doing the same thing!!! I just feel like I aint the only one this has happen to with the Jeep.

- Fort Payne, AL, USA

Jul 182015

Patriot

While I was driving home through pa, my car's transmission warning light came on. I lost speed, horsepower, and torque; I struggled to make it up hill (didn't go pass 40 mph), was almost rear-ended by cars behind me. I pulled over and let my car rest for 30 minutes and made it home at 65 mph. I normally travel anywhere between 70 & 75 mph on the freeway. I took it to my local Jeep dealership in wheeling, wv the following Monday. The service dept. Told me there were no recorded messages (codes) in the computer system and, therefore, no service was completed on the vehicle. The tech even informed me that this was a common problem he sees, but Chrysler hasn't fixed it and hopes there's a recall. Fast-forward to August 31st, 2015, I encountered the same problem twice while driving home through oh. I had autozone run a diagnostic and again, no recorded codes in the system. I see a mechanic tomorrow (Friday, Sept. 4th) and Jeep on August 10th. I've been reading about this issue on various forums and youtube (https://www.youtube.com/watch"V=vnkezt0mr-4; https://www.youtube.com/watch"V=3-4stctcgkw). After further research, this problem has been reoccurring issue with Jeep, Dodge, and Chrysler for a long time. People have been reporting this issue and taking it to their local dealership with no service. There's a problem here and Chrysler has known this for several years.

- Wheeling, WV, USA