CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2015 Jeep Renegade has a very large volume of complaints for such a new model, especially compared to other SUVs in the same class.

Most Jeep Renegade complaints are for various problems with interior accessories & electrical systems, as well as squealing brakes, transmission (rough shifting) and engine problems.

2015 Jeep Renegade drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2015 Jeep Renegade:

2015 Jeep Renegade Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 032016

Renegade 4WD 4-cyl

15 Renegade limited ** a few issues ***first I have had to replace front brakes and rotors 4/27/16 with 9030 miles then had to replace again 9/28/16 with 16611 miles..... second *** when driving my on highway normal speeds my vehicle will randomly act like it is neutral will not accelerate for few seconds then will work fine ( has happened 2 times to me months apart) third*** when making turns on dry roads my stabilitrak light comes on traction control blinks no acceleration happens at random a few times one time I was almost rear ended last incident happened 10/3 520pm... I now again hear noise when braking after driving a few miles it gets more noticeable the longer I drive..I am feeling unsafe driving this vehicle never knowing when these issue will happen next not to mention not being able to afford replacing brakes and rotors a few thousand miles.

- Apollo, PA, USA

Oct 192015

Renegade

Salesman said they could make it like the one we wanted (we picked by color) but they would have to add remote start and heated seats. We picked it up noticing they butchered the seat putting in heated seats. We get home with it and shut it off mind you this is brand new, to wake up in the middle of the night cause I hear a car running in the garage its the Jeep. They tell me the remote start does it if battery is low. So I start parking it outside as not to die from carbon monoxide poisoning to find it outside running every night. At 1200 miles the rear end starts growling and transmission won't shift and it randomly shuts off going down the highway. Its the remote starter they say so they remove it. They gave it back to me with my money back. Does it again 3 more times and took it in 3 more times for shutting off on highway, rear end growling still and transmission not shifting. Get it back we couldn't find anything wrong with it but we did updates to the computer and transmission. Next day radio starts changing stations on its own as I record it with my phone, lights going off and on, windows not working and still not shifting. They replaced rear end pig, radio, wiring harness as they said the guy bent a pin installing remote starter. Then at 17,000 miles rear end and transmission start doing it again and the shorting comes back, new rear pinion at another dealership, new radio again as the other one shorted out, transmission still not shifting. Filed for lemon law Chrysler comes back with the car is fine its due to the after market equipment I had installed. Your dealer ship is who had it installed brand new vehicle. Still have problems with transmission not shifting or taking off when pushing gas pedal. Stuck with this junk cause they won't take it back. Called lawyers and they said love to help but that was a one and done deal. Never buy Chrysler again.

- Parma, MI, USA

Sep 032016

Renegade

Renegade when in motion going 40mph and encounters a hill/increase in grade, will not shift into next gear. The vehicle is stuck in the lower gear @ 40mph as the engine rev's over 3,000rpm but the vehicle won't accelerate and won't kick-in the higher gear. Have to nearly press the accelerator to the floor to force the vehicle to ramp the RPM's to 4-5,000 to get it to shift into the correct gear. Feels like I'm going to blow the engine when I have to do this but it won't shift into gear. This has been happening consistently for over a month. Called dealership, they said there are several software updates for the Renegade, so try that and see if it fixes the issue. Took to dealership today for 7 software updates.

- Penfield, NY, USA

Sep 062016

Renegade

When trying to accelerate from a stop, car hesitates to the point of almost stalling for several seconds then lurches/jerks forward, running rough for several seconds as it finally starts moving forward. Dangerous when pulling out into traffic; the vehicle is immobile as it hesitates/stalls! has not completely shut down yet but hesitates long enough that it feels like it will. Called dealership, they said there were more software updates for the 2015 Renegade. Took in today to be serviced; 7 flash software updates which included a transmission update. The dealer said to see if it drives better after the software updates. Scary!

- Penfield, NY, USA

Sep 122016

Renegade

On my way to work got to the end of one of the streets at a stop sign and the car stalled no warning lights of any kind showed on dash, only thing it said was place in park then select a gear. Get in my car after I finish work stop at the exit of parking lot and stalls again, drive to end of road to stop sign and stalls again drive 100yards to first stop light and stalls yet again....never had a problem with my Renegade till now and of course am passed the 36000 mile warranty...next page won't allow me to enter numbers mph when it happened 0...miles on vehicle at time 39198

- Honesdale, PA, USA

Sep 082016

Renegade

Vehicle lost-power/stalled while driving. The vehicle stalled while trying to pull into traffic from a parking lot; the vehicle was in motion while the brake was slightly depressed; when removing the foot from the brake to depress the accelerator pedal the vehicle stalled. Tried to restart the car in neutral, but soon realized vehicle will only allow starting of engine while in park. Notified dealership that online articles indicated a recall soon for the issue, but they indicated there were no vehicle error codes, they could not repeat the issue and they couldn't do anything until there is a recall, so they did nothing.

- Melbourne, FL, USA

Sep 092016

Renegade

Today, while pulling out onto the highway my car would not accelerate properly almost causing a very severe accident with my 8 week old baby in the car. We continued to try and drive so we wouldn't be stuck in the middle of the highway but the Jeep went 35 to 40 miles an hour all the way home. This was not the first incident with this car but the first as severe as this. A few days after I bought the car it would shift hard when put into reverse, it felt as if someone hit me from behind. This is a brand new vehicle, my only vehicle, and I am scared to take my baby anywhere. This was a very scary incident especially with a newborn. Jeep not only put my life at jeopardy but more importantly a baby's life!

- Sarasota, FL, USA

Sep 062016

Renegade

The vehicles traction control light comes on during normal driving causing loss of throttle an power making you exit to shoulder or sometimes after 10 sec or so the power will return. Car does not die it just takes throttle control away while traction light flashes. This is all during normal dry conditions and normal driving. I have also seen a huge amount of this same issue on the forums. My vehicle has been in the dealership service department four times and they have no fix yet. It is very unsafe and my wife is afraid to drive her brand new Jeep. It's really ridiculous that we have to deal with all this an no one seems to care until someone gets killed because of the issues. And if this doesn't get corrected someone is going to get hurt or killed in a car accident. This problem occurs on a regular basis but it's hard to recreate on the spot so it's impossible to get the dealer to believe it is happening but if you search the web there is tons of info on this issue.

- De Soto, IA, USA

Jul 302016

Renegade

Service 4X4 light had come on, intermittently for over a month and is now staying on. I have not used the 4X4 system in over 6 months. No reason for it to need serviced if it hasn't been used.

- New Bloomfield, PA, USA

Apr 012016

Renegade

My transmission has me feeling so unsafe. After putting my vehicle in D, when I attempt to accelerate, the car makes no attempt at moving and then suddenly jerks forward. This happens when leaving my driveway, moving past a stop sign and in traffic. Obviously the latter are especially frightening. Jeep dealership said it could be software, but after an update, the problem continued to worsen, rather than improve. It is now to the point I feel completely unsafe in my vehicle. It has not been recalled, but I'm shocked; especially after seeing how many of the same complaints are out there. I desperately want my transmission replaced (not "fixed") before my warranty is up. Either that, or a new vehicle!

- Young Harris, GA, USA

Feb 252016

Renegade

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Renegade. After the gear shift was switched into the drive position, the vehicle reversed without warning. As a result, the contact's vehicle crashed into another vehicle. The contact discovered that the gear shift failed to go into drive. The air bags did not deploy. A police report was not filed and no injuries were sustained. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 13,000.

- Trappe, PA, USA

Apr 272015

Renegade

The contact owns a 2015 Jeep Renegade. The contact stated that the vehicle experienced a loss of power and lack of acceleration. The failure occurred only when the vehicle was cold. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission was defective and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 29,936.

- Floresville, TX, USA

Jun 242016

Renegade

At 1040 miles while going up a 7% grade in 100+ degree temperatures. The transmission down shifted and immediately lost power then began 'lunging'. display showed "place vehicle in park prior to selecting a gear". after waiting several minutes restarted vehicle but as soon as it needed to shift it would do the same stall out. This exact behavior also occurred on the same section (within 2 mi) of highway at the following odometer readings: 4811, 5202, 28928, 29580 and 29623. Common RPM's are around 3500 but varies somewhat each time and usually between 50-65 mph. The car is being driven in full automatic mode and is unresponsive if attempting to switch to manual mode once it starts. Cruise control was only used the first time. I quit using it after that in case there was any relation to the shift selections. The gap in the mileages indicate the almost almost 3 months that the dealership had the vehicle and the time that I did not experience the problem- cold months only. Many of the occurrences are with days of each other and or after picking up the vehicle. The vehicle also experiences extremely hard low speed shifts (from a light or stop sign). The stretch of highway I drive daily is very busy and a main corridor from the neighboring city to my rural town. It is dangerous to suddenly drop "back" on speed so dramatically.

- Pahrump, NV, USA

Feb 222016

Renegade

2015 Jeep Renegade: Vehicle shifts hard; like a canon. Took vehicle in to dealer and they said it just needed an update. Problem still not fixed. Vehicle makes a ringing sound like a phone when at highway speeds of 65 miles per hour. Vehicle rattles a lot especially in the speaker areas and also the driver side seatbelt area. When I took it in to the dealer to have them figure out the rattles they said that they could not find it. The seats do not heat up well. When it is turned on high, it feels like it is on the low setting still. When the steering when is being turned at any speed it makes a creaking sound.

- Everett, WA, USA

Apr 252016

Renegade

Car has previously stalled when accelerating and had continuous hard shifting causing increased panic attacks and anxiety two military vets. Also car has difficulty braking and has stored "failure to brake" code. Car has now been seen 3 times for transmissions issues and twice for braking issue. Current stored codes: C1431 U1001 U010 C2208 C2209 C221B U2003 U2004 U1700 dealerships states, "could not duplicate concern"

- Manhattan, KS, USA

Oct 222015

Renegade

When using "autostick" to downshift the 9-speed automatic transmission the computer "unloads" the drivetrain and at times it feels like the car is being shot out of a canon. This is worst at higher speeds, when towing, and on downgrades. It happens when shifting from 8 to 7 and 5 to 4. the dealership told me that the car is operating "as designed" so they can't do anything. The other fix is a software update but I've gotten all available and the problem persists. Jeep has the same attitude. When using autostick to downshift from 5 to 4 on a 9% downgrade the car speeds up from 45mph to 50 mph during the 2 second shift. Then, because of overly conservative downshift protocols (the engine has a max RPM of 6500 but during downshifting the computer never lets it exceed 3000 RPM), the computer won't let me downshift the transmission at all, there is no engine braking and the car keeps gaining speed. As long as the brakes are working there is help but without normal brakes there is no way to slow the car. The computer keeps saying no to a downshift and there is no emergency brake, only a parking brake that is either all off or all on/rear wheels locked. Locking the rear wheels at 70mph, or worse turning the wheels to make a turn with locked rear wheels results in a spin and then tragedy. I took delivery of the car new in October of 2015 and it has been doing this the whole time. One of the dealer mechanics told me that the reason this happens is that for those shifts a sleeve on a splined shaft has to slide so all pressure has to be remove from the sleeve. It sounds like a bad design for the sake of fuel mileage without due consideration for safety.

- Rice Lake, WI, USA

Mar 122016

Renegade

This is an update to an earlier complaint (#10826148) about my 6-speed manual 4X4 2015 Renegade latitude (with ~6490 miles on it) which was revving uncontrollably, popping out of cruise control, difficult to get into and out of gear as well as exhibiting poor fuel economy. At first, the dealership service department said they couldn┐T replicate any of the problems, but I insisted that they keep the car and drive it further. They did and were able to see that there was a problem. That was nearly one month ago. They kept the car for 3 weeks for what was described as a problem with the clutch, a part for which (the throw-out bearing) was on back order. I picked up the car this past Friday 3/11/16, drove it home and parked it in my garage, happy that it was fixed. Or so I thought. Saturday morning, less than 24 hours since bringing it home, as I was preparing to go out of town, the car would not go into reverse, and there it sits, stuck in my garage, to be towed back to the dealership. Thing is, I had not tried out the reverse on it when I picked it up or got it home. I had a straight run out of the garage when I picked it up, drove around the building and then straight to my home. I'm wondering if they had not done so too. Now that it is nearly 30 days out of commission, I will probably try to get the car declared a lemon and ask the dealership to buy it back. I don┐T want to do that but I do not feel safe in it, even if they were to fix the clutch again. NHTSA, please look into our cars-I have read the complaints and it seems that something is very wrong with it!

- Mount Airy, MD, USA

Feb 242016

Renegade

My new Renegade started hesitating when accelerating and was not shifting properly. You could tell it was stuck in gears too long before shifting. Took it to the dealer 3 times. First time they updated the computer even though they said they did not notice any issues during their test drive. Second time the tech said he felt it and fixed the problem with a module update. It did ride great after that-but lasted for only one day. Took the vehicle back for the third time and they did nothing-said they could not replicate the problem. The whole time I am thinking maybe I am imaging the issue, only to speak to another customer in the waiting room about her ongoing issues in her 2012 Cherokee-same transmission as in the Renegade. Now, the interior lights dim and come back on and the front wipers come on when you turn the back wipers on. The vehicle has 2070 miles on it. After reading the other complaints (car stalling while driving at highway speeds) I am concerned about driving it. The service man said I could bring it back-which I am going to tomorrow. But if they insist they don't feel it I am not sure what my recourse is. Do I have to wait till I crash due to a system defect>

- Erie, PA, USA

Feb 152016

Renegade

On February 15, 2015 with 8260 miles the service transmission light came on and the vehicle would not accelerate. After having the vehicle towed to the nearest dealer I was informed that it was an issue with the computer and it had been reprogrammed. On February 22, 2015 the same error occurred. The vehicle was towed to the nearest dealer. I was informed the next day that the transmission would need to be replaced.

- New Franklin, OH, USA

Feb 112016

Renegade

I purchased my 2015 Renegade latitude 6-speed manual transmission vehicle last fall and found that from the beginning at times I had difficulty getting it into gear. I've been driving manual transmission cars (all sedans until this) for nearly 35 + years so I'm familiar with how to shift etc. I knew and expected that there'd be a learning curve as every vehicle is different. But by now it should be resolved. Instead, it has worsened. I have maneuvered around the minor problems -those at lower speeds-having to downshift a few times when I needed to upshift (I rely on sound and the rpms as my guide). The car now has 6200 miles on it (a mix of back road driving with Suburban streets and some highway) and it is now revving uncontrollably at times, throwing me out of cruise control, acting as if on ice when there is none, surging forward when I haven't accelerated. And the advertised 31/27 mpg has not happened. I am now down to 23 mpg. I will be dropping it off tomorrow for an oil change and for them to look at this revving problem and the low mpg. I am afraid to drive this car, which I love very much, aside from the problems btw. I am concerned because I see that there have been complaints listed on sites about just this thing and it is a reminder of the out of control acceleration problems of cars in years past (like with Audi). Please let me know what to do besides taking it into the shop. I see below that you ask when this happened: As I said, from the beginning-I noticed that when I backed out of my driveway and put it into first and then shifted into 2nd, I'd have to go back to first. Then, it would surge ahead as if it were in third or fourth. That has continued.. the scary issue is the revving in traffic last week. I have not driven it since then.

- Mount Airy, MD, USA