5.2

1997 Jeep Wrangler fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1997 Jeep Wrangler:

1997 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments

May 152003

Wrangler

I bought this 1997 Jeep Wrangler from a used car dealer in June 2002 with a limited warranty and was told the vehicle pased inspection and had no problems. Since then I have had to have the wiring harness repaired, the fuel pump replaced, the transmission replaced, it has a faulty fuel gauge reading, the intake and exhaust manifold need to be replaced and now the steering linkage or stabilizer bars are faulty.

- Pasadena, MD, USA

Oct 272003

Wrangler 4WD 4-cyl

I have a 97 Jeep Wrangler. I have a problem everytime I start my Jeep after it sits for 20 min. It sounds like it wants to shut down and after pressing the gas to the floor it finally kicks in and takes off. I lose power alot and it backfires. I have had the exhaust manifold /catalytic converter replaced and a broken stud in the exhaust manifold to head assembly. This has been going on for 3 years and I have taken it to several differnt Jeep service department. All the service departments can tell me is that they can't find the problem but they always seem to find something else for me to pay for. I'm still having this problem and now it's getting worse. What can I do? please help.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jun 012002

Wrangler 4WD

Fuel gauge quit working, consumer noticed a fuel level sending unit recall when on yahoo, after calling Chrysler, consumer was informed that vehicle was not included due to VIN. Consumer has ran out of gas several times resulting in two near accidents. Chrysler responded saying that they fixed the problem before the vehicles VIN was made.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Mar 221999

Wrangler

While driving on the freeway vehicle began to smoke and there was no oil in the engine. Oil was leaking from the bottom of vehicle.

- Norwalk, CT, USA