1. replace oil filter (1 reports)
1997 Jeep Wrangler miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1997 Jeep Wrangler:

1997 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments

Aug 211998

Wrangler SE 2.5L

Just had an oil change from the dealership. Drove about 80 miles and could smell oil burning. With in seconds the whole inside filled with smoke. I slammed on the breaks and jumped out. After running several hundred feet, I looked back and the rear of my jeep was on fire. Black and blue smoke covered my jeep. I kept running to the closes house and called the fire dept. By the time they showed up, the fire was out. Under my jeep was a huge puddle of oil leading to the rear. I was lucky, the only thing that burned was some paint just above the tail pipe. After looking at it more closely, the oil filter had two seals on it. It should only have one. The oil was coming out from between the seals, running down the exhaust, and catching fire at the tip. I replaced the filter, filled it with oil, and gave it a good washing underneath. All this happened within 4 hours from getting the oil changed at the dealership. I drove the jeep there to show them the filter and what happened. They apologized, and gave me a coupon for a free oil change. They didn't do anything about the paint that burned. It wasn't covered under their warranties or some B.S. I took their coupon wadded it up, threw it at their service manager, and told him he would be speaking to my attorney. I did talk to the lawyer, but it would have cost me more to hire him to make them repaint my jeep than it would be to just do it myself. Another puck up the A$$ from Chrysler.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA