1998 Jeep Wrangler body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Jeep Wrangler:

1998 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments

Feb 052015

The rust is so bad on the Jeep it's ridiculous it's not safe your going to kill someone when there rear axle shoots out from under them this is a issue you should fix not the consumer I will not be buying this product again if it is my fixed. 98 tj Jeep Wrangler

- Cedarsprings , MI, USA

Apr 142015

Due to excessive rot that is common on this vehicle, while traveling I hit a bump and snapped my driver side control arm. This consequently made for a dangerous ride. While attempting to repair it I noticed how bad the frame was rotted, but unlike normal circumstances where the outside and inside would have equal corrosion. The inside was was rotted much worse, and parts of the frame easily crumbled.

- Erie, PA, USA

Feb 182015

The frame around the control arms are rusting, this could be a serious problem that needs addressed and there are more 97-06 Wrangler with rusted frames than not.

- Gilbert, WV, USA

Mar 172014

Noticed a noise while driving home the other day thought it may have been my exhaust rattling around, so I got under vehicle to inspect the noise, and what I found was that the rear part of the frame has rusted away and the brackets for the rear trailing arms had detached from the frame allowing the arms to drop, and on this particular side the brake lines are attached to this control arm. I know that Toyota had a similar recall on the truck frames for rust perforation, and that Jeep had one on the Liberty for the rear lower control arms rusting and breaking. I am an automotive technician and my personal Jeep is not the first one I have seen with this potentially dangerous condition. I also googled this problem and found that its very common in these vehicles as well.

- Bedford, IN, USA

Apr 032013

The frame is rotten out, and this is a common problem with the Jeep tj's. I have a hole on my tail section of frame and on the rear control arm area.

- Elmira , NY, USA

Sep 112012

Was told by my mechanic frame is rusting from the inside out, and the frame will fail in the near future. I understand this is a on going problem with Jeep Wrangler of multiple years due to the fact there were never drain holes providing drainage for the water, also lack of any rust coating to the inside of frame. In penn. You can not sell a car with frame damage. I'm not sure what I'm going to do.I feel that Jeep should help with the repair or replacement of the frame.

- Glen Mills, PA, USA

Sep 022011

Wrangler 6-cyl

I am writing today to complain about my 1998 Jeep Wrangler. After my last service was performed, the mechanic illustrated to me that the frame on my Jeep was severely rotting away on the drivers side. This is not an unknown concern for me since my employer has had the same concern repaired on one of his family members Jeep. This is very disheartening to me since I have been a Jeep owner for many years. I contacted Chrysler customer service and according to the operator they are not familiar with this problem. I find this unbelievable, considering that I am not the only one with this concern and other vehicle manufactures have recalled their vehicles for similar frame rot problems. Ie Toyota pickup trucks, Ford Windstar minivans, and I am sure there are others. I am having this Jeep fixed but it is going to be a costly repair, and it is unfortunate that at this time I can't afford to purchase another vehicle. I have pictures of the affected areas on my frame that I can forward to you if you need to see these for your investigation. Thanks a very concerned Jeep owner

- Williamstown, NJ, USA

Dec 161998

Wrangler 4WD

The vehicle has developed an odor associated with leaking anitfreeze. 3 different trips to make repairs, no action on first trip, second trip, dealer replaced thermostat housing, third trip, dealer replaced radiator. Vehicle still has odor at different times. Seat belts have been replaced 3 times on right hand side and once on left hand side due to belts getting pinched in hardtop doors and damaging belts. Belt on right hand has had failure of seat belt inertia lock during hard stop. Electrical system: Airbag light illuminated at various times, and at the same time the speedometer and tachometer failed momentarily. Fix was to clean and grease connectors. System is starting to repeat same problem, and dealer cannot find a problem. Steering column lower bushing has developed noise, after rain or onset of cold weather. Dealer states fix is to lube bushing, but problem persists after 4 dealer visits. Rear axle seals on left hand and right hand were leaking, resulting in rear wheel lockup with moderate brake application on damp pavement or sandy road surfaces. Dealer replaced both seals, but nothing was said about possible brake lining contamination or cleaning. Vehicle has had repeated water leakage from around windshield on left and right hand sides, right hand hardtop door hinge attach bolts, thru seals on cowl and around doors. Dealer has replaced all seals, rtv'd gaps, and installed updated door seals, but vehicle still leaks. Also, carpets were water damaged in front passenger area due to water leakage from vehicle body and airconditioning system. Vehicle has been kept for up to two days on two different occasions for water leaks and multiple repair complaints.

- Greenville, TX, USA

Apr 221999

First incident was the drivers side area under the dashboard filling with at least two inches of water that had to be drained. All windows and hoods were up and secure in both instances. Second complaint while driving the air bag light came on and all guages dropped to zero while driving at 55 mph.

- Vienna, VA, USA

Jun 171998

Wrangler 4WD

The consumer has been experiencing problems with a water leakage. Water leaks from the dashboard on to the floorboard. The manufacturer has yet to be contacted.

- Arlington, WA, USA