2. replaced frame with used frame (1 reports)
2001 Jeep Wrangler body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Jeep Wrangler:

2001 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments

Oct 052012

Wrangler Sahara 4.0L

I bought this Jeep used for my daughter but it ran and drove fine. After driving it about a year, I was performing maintenance underneath and noticed a small crack just behind where the front control arm bracket is welded to the frame. I reached up to poke it with my finger and was able to poke completely through the side of the frame! I had to decommission the Jeep and tell my daughter she had no wheels because it appeared to me that she was one pot hole away from the frame giving way and entire front axle collapsing under the vehicle. After searching online, I found that others have experienced similar problems; mostly in the North East. This Jeep came out of New York.

Also, after a thorough inspection, I discovered that the central cross member that holds the transfer case was also loose due to the deteriorating frame. The bolts that hold the cross-member had actually started to pull through the frame and it has separated about 1/4" from the frame. I also noted that there were no drain holes anywhere along the lowest point of the frame. That is a design flaw! My solution was to purchase a used frame from a light rollover that came out of N. Carolina and swap the entire frame. Before installing the new frame, I drilled drain 1/2" drain holes 4 inches in front and back of the mounting holes for the central cross-member. I also thoroughly rust proofed the entire frame inside and out. I've been driving it since and have had no further issues with the frame. I'll add some pictures when I figure out what I did with them.

- , Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Feb 052014

Wrangler Sport 4.0L

This is a very common problem for the Wranglers from 1987-2006, most of the Jeeps in the salt belt have their frames rust through, causing many structural problems mainly because they are boxed frames and Chrysler designed it with no drain holes for crap from the frame to drain out of, also I don't think the frames were treated as well as they could have been.

- , Marshall, MI, USA