2001 Jeep Wrangler wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Jeep Wrangler:

2001 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments

Dec 122012

Wrangler 6-cyl

I was driving in the mountains and noticed an unusual noise under my Jeep and got out to check it out and found that my frame had cracked under the passenger seat where the control arm is welded to the frame. After looking more closely, the frame has completely rusted through and is a hole has developed for approximately 20 inches along the center of the bottom of the frame rail and up and through where the control arm bracket is welded to the frame. There is only about 1 inch of weld still holding on the outside bracket. I was afraid to drive home. From the looks of the rust, the entire frame could buckle at any time. I am not a rock crawler and do not abuse my Jeep. It is all stock and has really only been down dirt roads and not trails. Upon searching online, I found that many other Wrangler owners are experiencing a similar problem several actually had their crossover support for the transmission fall out of the vehicle. I know these vehicles are 10 years old but we are talking about the frame here. This is unsafe and certainly a manufacturer defect or design oversight. After all, it is a Jeep which is expected to get some use off road. I can't imagine what it would be like if I truly spent some time off road. Please take the necessary steps to at least let owners know there could be a problem. I normally don't look under my vehicle and this could have easily gone unnoticed and compromised the entire frame structure if I had an accident.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Oct 102011

Jeep front end wobbles when hitting a bump at highway speeds. Aka death wobble. Must slow down immediately, loss of control.

- Novato, CA, USA