2002 Jeep Wrangler body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Jeep Wrangler:

2002 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments

Jun 202016

Due to a poor design of side holes but no bottom drain holes, water and dirt, etc collected inside the rear frame section and rusted it from the inside out.

- Lyndonville, VT, USA

Mar 012016

"rusted frame" I bought a 2002 Jeep Wrangler and the left side of the frame in the middle where the skid plate bolts in to the frame is rusted out pretty bad and I have a cause for concern for safety. Well I didn't find this problem but I thought the universal joint was causing my bad shake when I pulled the front drive shaft out I noticed that problem. Its a 14 year old vehicle but I don't believe that the frame should be rusted like this. Please fix my problem.. the vehicle was stationary in my driveway

- Odessa, MO, USA

Jun 152010

Takata recall- driving down a dark county road- lost control of vehicle and went off road and hit a tree- upon impact the Jeep burst into flames- the driver was pulled out because she was trapped inside the burning Jeep- the Jeep was totaled due to the fire

- Dumfries, VA, USA

Oct 012015

Jeep frame has rusted in half in several places costing$3,000 in repairs luckily it broke at a low speed without harm to anyone if this happens at highway speeds who knows how many people could have been injured.

- Wentzville, MO, USA

Oct 012007

My frame and suspension have rotted out from the inside out. Its costing me over $6,000 to replace everything.

- Ashburn, VA, USA

Sep 012014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

The frame is developing severe rusting prematurely as comparative to other vehicles of this age of manufacuture, mileage, driving conditions and location of operation.

- Dillsburg, PA, USA

Jun 142014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Purchased a 2002 Jeep Wrangler sahara with 4 miles on it. All required maintenance has been done routinely. This vehicle has never been off road and was strictly a daily driver averaging 12K miles per year. I took the vehicle to the shop for an oil change and the mechanic brought me into the garage to show me the frame was almost completely rotted through near the front suspension. The frame where the cross bracket that holds the transmission in place has also rotted. The bolts in the bracket have nothing to hold onto because the frame has rotted through. The mechanic stated, "you are one pot hole away from a major accident". I brought it to another mechanic who stated "this is a major safety risk and I would not suggest driving it." Other than the frame rotting out, the vehicle is in perfect working order with normal wear. I can provide photos if interested.

- Lincoln, RI, USA

Jun 122014

The 2002 Jeep Wrangler has approx. 85000 miles on it. Never used off road - just to and from work. Brought vehicle in for work on clutch and repair shop states that the vehicle frame is rotted through and need to be replaced before transmission is able to be removed. Front fenders have rusted through in same spot on each side.

- West Boylston, MA, USA

Feb 062013

Wrangler 6-cyl

I purchased the Jeep 6/04. I purchased it for transportation back and forth to work. It was never used off road. It only has approx 81000 miles and the frame is completely rusted from approx. The back of the front tires to the front of the rear tire. There may be more but we have to completely strip down vehicle to establish if there is more damage. Its so bad that you can put a screw driver through and through the frame and the transmission and the tray is disconnected from frame to frame and is completely hanging. Scare to drive it. Jeep may fold crumble in half. This I definitely a safety issue. If I didn't see all the rust on the driveway I would have been driving and god only know if there could have been a fatality. With the Jeep only being 11 years at the time of the occurrence. I find it hard to believe that this could happen and there is no warranty on this that I have been able to find. So sad with out my Jeep!!!!

- Berlin, NJ, USA

Sep 022003

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Water leaks into front passenger side compartment from air conditioner drain hole in firewall. Water soaks front carpet, and the drain plug in floor must be removed to allow water to drain out of vehicle. Appears foam surrounding drain has failed allowing the water into the vehicle.

- Collierville, TN, USA

Apr 102003

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Paint is flaking of on fender, hood, door, and rear door.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Jun 012002

Wrangler 4WD

At start up, vehicle shakes and sounds like injectors are missing, not taken to dealer yet. Vehicle taken to dealer 3 times, however dealership cannot duplicate problem. Vehicle boggs and runs rough/hesitates when cold. Rear portion of soft top located near bottom of tailgate has gap. Rear weatherstrip adjusted.

- N. Riverside, IL, USA