2004 Jeep Wrangler miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Jeep Wrangler:

2004 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments

Sep 012015

Jeep has never been off road. Husband noticed while changing oil, frame rot was visible in front of vehicle. Later took to local autobody shop that confirmed frame is rotted from inside out. Recommends new frame and to not drive it due to safety concerns. He stated this is very common in Jeep and that I should file a vehicle safety complaint.

- Chillicothe, OH, USA

Jul 172009

I was at a complete stop with my foot on the brake, automatic transmission in drive. The engine started to race at very high R.P.M.'s for no reason. I was able to keep the vehicle from accelerating with hard brake pressure and quickly shifted into neutral. The engine returned to normal idle after several seconds. This has happened approximately 5 additional times since then for no apparent reason. I check floor mats, gas pedal movement and even attempted to apply pressure to both the gas and brake pedal at the same time which was impossible. There seems to be no common factor to these incidents. I have not experienced any warning lights or codes.

- Neptune, NJ, USA

Sep 222011

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

I have been a proud owner of my Jeep since 2004 until towards the end of last year when I began to experience problems with a violent shaking when I was driving at 55mph and would hit a bump. I took it to my mechanic a few times but they couldn't find anything wrong with it. They checked my tires, the brakes, etc. It happened again and again so my mechanic thought it possible needed to be aligned so I tried that. That didn't help either. Then the tires became a topic of discussion so I bought new tires and still the problem occurred. I recently took it in and had the gear box tightened and the tires rotated and again, no fixing the problem. My Jeep shakes so violently and gets me so scared because it feels like the Jeep tires are going to fall off the Jeep and cause a major accident and injuries. I searched the internet looking to see if anyone else has ever had this problem and sure enough, I'm not alone. I have a young son and I use my Jeep as our transportation and my son is getting ready to get his license and it's sad, but I won't let him drive our Jeep because of this problem. Chrsler needs to become aware of this problem and something should be done for us Jeep owners who are being affected by this problem. If I would have known of this problem, I would have never bought a Jeep. I can't afford to keep spending all this money to try and figure out what to get repaired nor can I afford a new car. Chrsler needs to step up to the plate and fix these Jeep!

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Feb 152010

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Gas overflows before fuel nozzel shuts off when filling tank.

- Kingman, AZ, USA