2004 Jeep Wrangler steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Jeep Wrangler:

2004 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Jul 212016

Wrangler

The driver's side lower control arm mount on our 2004 Jeep Wrangler broke off from the frame while driving. While accelerating on a city street, there was a loud bang noise from underneath the vehicle, and the Jeep became extremely difficult to control and started wandering all over the road. Upon pulling over and looking underneath the vehicle we found that there were extreme amounts of rust and corrosion inside the frame that was visible from the outside. This rust caused the entire lower control arm mount to break off from the frame. Another rot hole was found further up the frame near the transmission skidplate/cross-member assembly as well.

- North Smithfield, RI, USA

Jan 142016

Death wobble

- Roswell, NM, USA

Nov 122012

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2004 Jeep Wrangler. While driving 60 mph over bumps in the road, the vehicle bounced all over the road, the front end shook violently, and the steering wheel became difficult to control. The contact stated that the brake pedal had to be applied to regain control of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the front steering damper needed to be replaced. The repairs were performed, but the failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer a couple more times and repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failures. The failure mileage was 48,000.

- Norwalk, CT, USA

Nov 282015

Wrangler

While moving down highways 40 to 65mph ive noticed that whenever I hit pot holes or bumps my car imediately goes into a major wobble like I have a flat tire, however as soon as I tap my brake it stops. My friend told me this is a death wobble factory recall but Jeep dealers tell me my car VIN isnt included. Why not since it has the problem?!

- Montrose, CO, USA

Jun 032015

Wrangler

Driving down the highway at anywhere above 40mph and hitting a bump in the road sends the vehicle into a violent shake/wobble. This does not stop until the vehicle is slowed down to below 40. The Jeep is completely stock. No lift, no bigger tires.

- Hope Mills , NC, USA

Apr 272015

Wrangler

My 16 year old daughter was driving the vehicle on normal dry pavement when the casting that anchors the tie rod to the front left wheel snapped off. The vehicle violently pulled to the right causing it to go off the paved road surface and crashing into a tree. The vehicle has the original factory suspension and to my knowledge has never been modified.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Sep 222014

Wrangler 6-cyl

"Jeep death wobble"....violent shaking of front end called......after highway bump or uneven road surface......had to pull over onto shoulder to stop it.......... I have had this fixed numerous times, with new tires, alignment, and it keeps coming back....

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jun 012004

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

The vehicle has exhibited the "death wobble" almost as long as I've had it. I purchased the vehicle brand new. At 50-55 mph, the front-end shakes uncontrollably. Sometimes the shaking is instigated by a bump - most often it starts simply by reaching the aforementioned speed. The only way to stop it is to slow down (which is not always an easy option at highway speeds) or put it into 4WD while moving. I've take it to multiple dealers and mechanics, and no one has been able to rectify the condition. While it doesn't happen every single time I cross the 50-55 mph threshold, shakes more often than not. It's terribly alarming, certainly unsafe, and completely appropriate for a recall and cost-free fix.

- Washington, DC, USA

Apr 302013

Wrangler

My Jeep Wrangler shakes sporadically at 45 mph as described in previous posts by others. When my Jeep shakes it is very aggressive and I often have to apply my brakes suddenly to ease the jolting of my vehicle. I have almost wrecked my Jeep a couple times, I have sprained my wrist, and have had bruises merely from maintaining my vehicle. I just traded in my other car for this in April 2013 and can't afford to trade again. I am very disappointed. I can't even take my children in my Jeep or tow my camper. All because I can't even reasonably begin to fix the problems that I purchased with my Jeep. I wish I had known I was purchasing a death trap before hand. There is a very good reason these low milage Jeep's have made way to used car dealerships.

- Gloucester, VA, USA

Jan 012013

Wrangler

When driving the Wrangler down any road surface the wheels will start to wobble and shake very hard like you are loosing control. Then you have to stop quickly inorder to keep your car from driving off the road.

- Winder, GA, USA

Sep 012008

Wrangler 6-cyl

While driving over 45 mph, if you hit a small bump or even uneven pavement, the Jeep shakes uncontrollably until you either slam on the brakes and slow down to 10 mph or you have to completely stop, if you are in traffic, it is extremely dangerous. The vehicle shakes and the tires bounce up and off the pavement. The stirring wheel shakes so much you can barely hang on to it. Very dangerous!!

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Mar 122013

Wrangler 6-cyl

Driving onto highway. Speeding up to 35-40 mph. Just shifted to 4th gear. Whole vehicle began wobbling violently. Had to almost stop in the middle of the highway to get it stop shaking violently. Vehicle behind me had to swerve to miss me. Steep shoulder couldn't pull over. I think this is referred to as the "death wobble". have read about numerous complaints of this with Jeep Wrangler on the internet after this happened today. I wish I would of known of this dangerous problem before I bought this vehicle.

- Augusta, KS, USA

Nov 062012

Wrangler 6-cyl

The first time I had death wobble was while towing my kayaks and kayak trailer after hitting a bump.since then I have stopped driving it till I get some cash to start diving in to find the fix.

- Colchester, VT, USA

Aug 192012

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

2004 Jeep Wrangler. Consumer writes in regards to several issues found during inspection after purchase of vehicle the consumer stated the day she test drove the vehicle, she noticed some play in the steering, the engine seemed to miss a little, and the cd player in the radio seemed to work whenever it wanted to. The next day, the consumer noticed the front differential leaked an oil spot on the concrete driveway. The consumer took the vehicle to a pre-sales establishment and the inspection revealed, the rear axles were leaking on both sides, the pinion seal in the front differential needed to be replaced, the front track bar had play, the transmission needed a new Pilot bearing; as there was a noise when accelerating and the rear sway bar links were loose.

- Lancaster, CA, USA

Jul 052012

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

A week after I purchased the vehicle I hit a small, sharp bump in the road and the vehicle front end began to shake and wobble uncontrollably. Only by slowing down to 45 mph was I able to gain control of the vehicle again. This has happened numerous times after this. I had the tires balanced, rotated and an alignment done on it. The wobble happened again, sometimes at even higher speeds and sometimes, not at all. I took it to an authorized Chrysler Jeep dealer and according to their recommendation, had a new steering stabilizer, new sway bar links and tie rod installed and again had the tires balanced and an alignment done on it. The vehicle still exhibits the same behavior. I have had it happen three times on interstate highways and lucky enough each time I was in the right lane and able to pull over onto the shoulder to reduce speed and gain control again. Each time on the interstate my speed was between 60 and 65 mph. The last time it happened I drove 20 miles back home on city streets in order to keep my speed below 50 mph. The "death wobble" does not happen below 50 mph although I can sometimes feel it starting to shake as I approach that speed. As I have had the vehicle inspected by an authorized Chrysler dealer, replaced the recommended parts and have done the required maintenance, I feel that there is a safety issue built into some of the vehicles like mine. I think this needs to be investigated as many Jeep Wrangler owners that I have talked to and authorized dealers also were very familiar with the term "death wobble" in conjunction with Jeep Wrangler. In fact, as I was describing the problem to one of the authorized Chrysler Jeep dealers, he interrupted me by saying, "ah, the "death wobble". once it happens to you, you know that it is a very apt description of the behavior.

- Altoona, IA, USA

Jun 012012

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Turned onto the county highway and as I approached approximately 50 mph, I hit a bump in the road and the front end of the vehicle started to shake violently. Had to pull over and stop for it to stop. I then proceeded to drive. Asked my mechanic if he could see anything that would cause this and he didn't mention anything. It has happened since then as well one time being on the interstate during rush hour. I will not drive the vehicle as it is completely unsafe. I have researched this online and there are many reports of this "death wobble" happening on Jeep all over the country. No one seems to know what the problem is or the fix is.

- Merton, WI, USA

Sep 222011

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

I have been a proud owner of my Jeep since 2004 until towards the end of last year when I began to experience problems with a violent shaking when I was driving at 55mph and would hit a bump. I took it to my mechanic a few times but they couldn't find anything wrong with it. They checked my tires, the brakes, etc. It happened again and again so my mechanic thought it possible needed to be aligned so I tried that. That didn't help either. Then the tires became a topic of discussion so I bought new tires and still the problem occurred. I recently took it in and had the gear box tightened and the tires rotated and again, no fixing the problem. My Jeep shakes so violently and gets me so scared because it feels like the Jeep tires are going to fall off the Jeep and cause a major accident and injuries. I searched the internet looking to see if anyone else has ever had this problem and sure enough, I'm not alone. I have a young son and I use my Jeep as our transportation and my son is getting ready to get his license and it's sad, but I won't let him drive our Jeep because of this problem. Chrsler needs to become aware of this problem and something should be done for us Jeep owners who are being affected by this problem. If I would have known of this problem, I would have never bought a Jeep. I can't afford to keep spending all this money to try and figure out what to get repaired nor can I afford a new car. Chrsler needs to step up to the plate and fix these Jeep!

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Feb 252010

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Violent shaking of the suspension when I reach about 55 mph, usually on the nys thruway. In order to stop the shake I need to slow down to about 40 mph. Very dangerous and unnerving, especially in traffic. Brought to my mechanic who stated he saw nothing wrong with my vehicle. Replaced and balanced tires. Was fine but then, as now, unexpectedly goes into convulsions. I feel very uncomfortable when driving my vehicle, which is my sole mode of transportation. Is there a recall? I am not aware of any. Would really like to resolve this situation. This has been going on for several years.

- Dobbs Ferry, NY, USA

Jun 142012

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Front end shakes violently. This has happened before, usually when the Jeep is approaching 50 mph on the highway. Feels like the Jeep is going to explode. Putting on the brakes, and praying, and down shifting from 5th to 4th, and praying, and eventually slowing down to below 40 is the only thing that allows the vehicle to stop shaking. This apparently has been reported many, many times, and is known as the "death wobble". is there a governmental cover-up about this" how is this known issue allowed to go un-addressed"

- Westfield, NJ, USA

Mar 092010

Wrangler

Steering wheel shakes, most recently made whole vehicle shake uncontrollably. Has not been off road or altered in any way. Lady driven only.

- Russellville, KY, USA