1.8

2005 Jeep Wrangler engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Jeep Wrangler:

2005 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments

Dec 162016

Wrangler

This specific part was recalled eleven or so years ago. Since that time, the same part has been replaced 6 times. One time requiring a total engine overhaul. Upon researching this part, I have found that there are many complaints with the failure of this same model year of Jeep Wrangler and this part (oil pump drive). We have poured over $5000 into this vehicle due to this part and we still have a vehicle that does not run. I have called Jeep three times now and they have no advice for me or offer of assistance for this part. Engine locked up while driving down the highway.

- Grayson, KY, USA

Nov 232016

Wrangler

This is an update to NHTSA complaint 10919983 - regarding chrylser E05 campaign camshaft replacement - I still need a new camshaft but have performed a temporary fix in replacing the opda. The new gear on the opda has prevented enough wear gap for the engine to not go into limp mode and will start immediately when temps are under 40 degrees F. I still need a new camshaft to complete this fix. I may try the Chrysler customer service to resolve, but the E05 recall does not cover my manufacture date and the campaign has been closed. I am stuck with a used lemon! buyer beware of this model year, there is a camshaft gear issue that will prevent engine timing to run correctly and ability to pass emissions! codes P340 and P344 plus engine will not rev beyond 2500rpm (limp mode) are the tell tale signs. A new opda is worth a try temporary fix $80. But do not buy this year or 2004, 2006 without checking if camshaft has been replaced, or plan on doing some major engine work/engine rebuild.

- East Hampton, CT, USA

Sep 172016

Wrangler

Engine codes P0340 and P0344 Chrysler campaign E05 replace opda and camshaft - my manufacture date is June 2005, there is 113K on the engine, when the weather is cold (40 F or below) the engine has long start issues, there is play in the opda enough to put the engine in limp mode not revving past 2500rpm. For sure this needs a new camshaft and new opda, both gears are worn. The Chrysler campaign only cover up to a Feb 2005 manufacture. This should be considered for additional manufacture dates with multiple complaints on NHTSA about this issue.

- East Hampton, CT, USA

Apr 092016

Wrangler

Was crossing a busy 4-lane St rt when the throttle cable came apart and propulsion was lost. Nearly got T-boned by oncoming traffic. A multi-car pileup was narrowly averted. Vehicle has only 85,000 miles. Throttle cable frayed just inside the firewall in the passenger compartment. It has no history of accidents or repairs on this assembly. No warning. Very scary experience. Stranded in the middle of the road, perpendicular to traffic.

- Lexington, KY, USA

May 112015

Wrangler

So was driving my Jeep when I stoped lost all oil pressure dropped to 0 pressure when accerlerated oil pressure went back but continues to drop to 0 when stopped I have replace the oil pressure switch with no change.I have researched online and this seems to be a problem with most 2005 heep Wrangler so my question is is when is enough /enough when are you going to recall and do the right thing?

- Elizabethton, TN, USA

Mar 022015

Wrangler

My Jeep started making a very loud noise when driving. The more gas I gave it the louder it got and now it is un drivable due to a distributor oil pump. Biggest problem is all the Jeep parts people had no idea what the part it was and now they do not have any in the system nor can they tell me when they can have me one. There is a lot of complaints regarding this, stand up and do right for us jeepers!

- Destin, FL, USA

Feb 132014

Wrangler

The evaporated system in the Jeep in turning engine light and will not pass safety and emissions without fixing it. We have a new fuel cap and have also checked the console and it still turns on heard this was a known issue but no recalls for it.

- Ogden, UT, USA

Mar 242014

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that while traveling various speeds, the engine and check gauge warning lights illuminated and the vehicle lost acceleration power. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 76,000.

- Dousman, WI, USA

Dec 162013

Wrangler 6-cyl

I traced a loud screeching noise to the oil pump drive assembly. As the engine warmed up the noise subsided but continues to occur.on line research shows this to be a common problem for the 05-06 Wrangler due to a design change from 04 to 05 model years where a bushing at the top of the cam position sensor/oil pump drive that seizes due to lack of lubrication and causes the drive gear on the oil pump shaft to self destruct taking with it the camshaft drive gear which causes loss of oil pressure.Dodge issued the E05 Mar 2005 campaign-engine oil pump drive gear/cam replacement. Letters were sent to dealers to replace the drive gears and cams damaged by this problem. The notification applies to the 4.0 L engine built from Oct 20, 2004 to Feb 1, 2005. My local Dodge dealer informed me that my Jeep has an Oct 9, 2004 build date and is therefore not eligible for the recall even though the pictures I showed him of the damage to the gears in my engine. The dealer suggested I try customer service. They referred me to NHTSA to seek a resolution. So after investing over $12,000 dollars a month ago to purchase what I expected would be a reliable winter vehicle I instead have a vehicle that sits in my driveway because we are afraid to drive it. It can't be trusted on the road and I can't risk using it and facing a $4,000 engine rebuild if it seizes. I need some help.

- Sussex, NJ, USA