2005 Jeep Wrangler steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Jeep Wrangler:

2005 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Oct 012005

Wrangler 6-cyl

Front end starts into a violent wobble between 50 & 55 mph. The only way to stop it is to slam on the brakes. I have tried different tires and different tire pressures and the wobble still persist. The suspension hasn't been modified in any way and the entire vehicle is in stock condition. I think that this is a well known problem that could result in loss of life and there should be a recall to fix it.

- Madisonville, KY, USA

Feb 052008

Wrangler 6-cyl

Death wobble violent shaking of steering wheel with after market parts I have spent thousands of dollars trying to fix the problem and it still death wobbles Jeep need to reimburse people for this if I would have been told this by a disclosure of some sort when I went to purchase the Jeep I would have not purchased it.

- Forestville, CA, USA

Aug 222006

Wrangler 6-cyl

Front end shakes violently after hitting a bump and will not stop shaking until vehicle is brought to a stop. Dealer has attempted to fix it 5 times between August 06 and January 07. Dealer replaced steering dampner in August, 2006. Replaced trac bar in December, 2006. I had independent shop check front end. Found nothing out of spec. At one point dealer claimed that it was caused by tires. New tires fixed problem for a short time. Had tires balanced 4 times in 2009. Replaced stabilizer shock again in August, 2009 and again in December of 2011 with heavy duty one. Problem persists today in January of 2012.

- Chico, CA, USA

Jul 092011

Was driving over 50 miles per hour when I hit a little bump and my whole front end of my Jeep started to shake violently, I thought the wheels were going to come off, I could bearly control the steering wheel to make it to the side of road, I have had less violent ones but they are becoming more frequent now, I just went to dealer and they said my steering damper will have to be replaced for $255, I have been reading all the complaints about this " death wobble" and all the work that people are having done only to have the issue come back, I do not want to waste money on all the things that they will try and replace only to find its not the real issue. Please help!

- Dayville, CT, USA

Nov 102009

The contact owns a 2005 Jeep Wrangler. The contact was driving 50 mph when the front of the vehicle began shaking extremely violently. The contact stated that the failure was so extreme that the vehicle would Venture off the roadway when the failure occurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who inspected the vehicle and was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure but provided no assistance. The failure mileage was 39,000.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Jul 012011

Wrangler 6-cyl

At speeds in the range of 45-50mph, and usually around 47mph, the steering wheel and front wheels will violently shake and wobble from side to side. The only way to recover is to either speed up or slow down. This seems to be a common problem with Jeep as there are youtube videos of the Jeep "death wobble". it becomes very serious and could cause a person to lose control of the vehicle. This is an ongoing problem, and seems like something the manufacturer should address.

- Janesville, WI, USA

Sep 272011

I was driving on the bypass near my home and experienced "the death wobble" between 50-55 I thought the front end was falling out so I slowed down and got to the sise of the road and began checking out the vehicle. It has happened several times since. My Jeep is at the dealers as I write this getting checked out. I think Jeep should put a recall on this problem before someone gets hurt or killed.

- Evarts , KY, USA

May 012008

Wrangler 6-cyl

This Jeep bought "used' in 2007 with 18K miles and no modifications. No post-purchase modifications have been made. Problem first noticed at 20K miles and happens intermittently and without warning. At 45+ mph, while entering freeway on-ramp overpass, hit expansion joint in road. Jeep began to violently shake from the front end of vehicle, and steering wheel wobbled left to right, 5 to 6 inches each side, uncontrollably. Vehicle sounded and felt like it was going to literally fall apart. Driver tried breaking gently but vehicle continued to shake/wobble even worse. With difficulty, driver got vehicle to side of road and called for help. Another occasion, while driving downhill 55 - 60 mph and decelerating, vehicle started violently shaking/wobbling, unprovoked by roadway defect or obstruction. Driver broke hard, down-shifted, got vehicle to shoulder of road and came to complete stop. Wobble did not cease until car stopped. Other occasions, typically while driving between 45 - 60 mph on freeway, steering wheel will start wobbling, subtly at first, then all-out shimmy/wobble from front end. On one occasion vehicle seemed to self-correct, but driver sensed wobbling trying to return. On all occasions driver(s) grasped steering wheel hard to try to "calm" vehicle. Three different family drivers (and only drivers) of this vehicle all experienced similar vehicle malfunction. Jeep has been taken to three different service centers (Chrysler/Jeep, les schwab, ken's tires) for inspection and repair. Owners purchased suggested parts and service each time. Problem eventually returns.

- Livermore, CA, USA

Nov 202010

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Purchased 2005 Jeep Wrangler X from individual November 2010. Vehicle had 21K miles. Death wobble occurs everytime vehicle reaches speeds above 45 mph. Jeep is out of control and you must come to a swift, but complete stop to keep from losing control. Driver of vehicle and other vehicles less than 10 feet away are in danger when this occurs. Discovered that this problem is common today and I hope that Jeep comes up with a solution to this issue.

- Mt Olive, AL, USA

Jun 302011

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Driving over uneven road surfaces, man hole covers, pot holes, expansion joints in concrete, or any ripples in the road surface, what is commonly known as "death wobble" occurs. This is an uncontrollable left and right progressive wobble of the front wheels. This wobble does not stop until the vehicle is slowed down to approximately 10 mph. Parts replaced have been the steering stabilizer, track bar bushings, pitman arm and pitman tie rod end, tires, tires balanced three times (twice in two weeks), alignment performed twice, and steering gear box adjusted. Two different Jeep dealerships claim the stabilizer is the problem, and the one replaced must be faulty. Do the research, the steering stabilizer is not the problem... only a mask. The "death wobble" happens daily. Usually multiple times.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Jul 152010

2005 Jeep Wrangler experiences high speed wobble every day at speeds above 45 mph. This is a very common problem with Jeep vehicles. Internet users refer to the condition as "death wobble." I would not want that name associated with any of my products. I got rid of a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee that did the same thing. The steering wheel shakes so violently that the brakes must be applied at high speed to correct the problem. This is dangerous for vehicles following and could cause an accident. I absolutely do not let my wife or kids drive this car. I don't want to be the one who confirms the death wobble moniker. The failure occurs daily. I have balanced the tires repeatedly and rotated and cross rotated tires. Even broken down tires and rotated them on rims to achieve optimal balance. I will never own another Jeep product. They need to step up and fix this problem.

- Tooele, UT, USA

May 282010

I bought my 2005 Jeep brand new off the lot. Within a year I began to notice the "death wobble". I had been a very moderate driver, and had less than 10,000 miles on the vehicle. When I took the Jeep to the dealer, they replaced the stabilizer arm, which the warranty covered, but the problem remained. The dealer then rotated and balanced my tires and adjusted my alignment. They charged me over $200 for that. This seemed to mask the problem for about a year, then the "death wobble" returned. I took the Jeep to a different dealership where I was promptly sold 2 new tires (stock uniroyal tiger paws @ $104 each) and a steering dampener. Total cost this time was well over $500. This took care of the wobble for about a year. Now the wobble is back, and I'm wondering what to do. I can't afford another dealer to fleece me again, and I hear Jeep isn't acknowledging this wide-spread problem. They should issue a recall. In the meantime though, I love my Jeep and want it fixed. I don't want it to kill me or anyone else. Does anyone know of anything that can be done to resolve this problem? I can't afford $200-$500 every year on band-aid solutions.

- Smiths, AL, USA

Mar 132010

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

2005 Jeep Wrangler with 39,000 miles shakes violently on the freeway at 50-75 mph. Almost lost control and then could only get the vehicle under control by slowing to 40mph and almost got re-ended. 1) there was a bump in the road and the vehicle started shaking 2) almost lost control, then near miss by vehicles behind me when I had to reduce speed to 40mph to regain control 3) I will be sending the vehicle to the shop, but from what I have read, there have been many complaints by other owners and nothing the dealer does to fix this problem has worked.

- Tucson , AZ, USA

Jan 062010

I own a 2005 Jeep Wrangler with 29,500 miles on it. Recently, the front-end has started to wobble/shake violently at speeds around 40-45 miles per hour causing near loss of control. When it happens, the only solution is to apply the brakes and come to a complete stop. I have checked the internet and it appears to be very common, in fact, it has been labeled the "death wobble". problem is, no one seems to have identified the exact cause or fix. Some of the recommendations include: Install after-market heavy steering stabilizer (did that, no change), alignment, wheel balance, steering box, camber angle, etc. Any suggestions?

- El Cajon, CA, USA

Jun 112008

Jeep shakes violently when a bump is hit or road is uneven. The problem started about 2 months after purchasing the used vehicle. The problem did not show itself during the test drive but after investigating through the internet their are several Jeep Wrangler owners with the "deathwobble" problem. I clicked on your link provided by a local television news station wsoc channel 9 in charlotte, nc after they covered a story about another Chrysler vehicle. I implore you to do what is right and ask Chrysler to recall or repair, at their expense, my vehicle and other vehicles affected by this defect. An extended warranty was purchased from the dealership, crossroads Ford P&a code 00994, and we were told at the time of purchase Chrysler's warranty was still valid. After taking it back to the dealer several times and even taking it to the Jeep dealership no one will accept accountability. We have no other choice but to drive it and fear for the life of our son.

- Rhodhiss, NC, USA

Apr 112009

I was driving on Texas F.M. 722 in the afternoon. It had started to hail and I had slowed to appx. 45 mph when I lost all steering. My Jeep skidded sideways then went into the bar ditch and through a fence, narrowly missing a power pole. Further evaluation by a mechanic showed that the steering gear box shaft had been cracked, "for a long time", based on the rust present half way through the shaft. The shaft then snapped as I was slowing down causing complete steering failure.

- Channing, TX, USA

Feb 012009

Paris rent a car rented 2 @2005 Jeep Wrangler that had bald tires, bad brakes and inproper steering while visting St. Johns, virgin island. Paris rent a car, P. O box 1155, cruz bay, St. John vi 00831.

- Kankakee, IL, USA

Jul 142008

2005 Jeep Wrangler. Severe wheel shimmy at speeds between 50-55 mph. Shimmy occurs after hitting a bump. Dealer and Chrysler say steering damper needs to be replaced but part is on national back order. A technical service bulletin NHTSA 10020334 has been issued.

- Apalachin, NY, USA

Jul 252008

Email from constituent requesting that NHTSA investigate the Jeep Wrangler in reference to a problem called the "Jeep death wobble" caused by a defective steering dampener. The dealer informed the consumer that the steering damper needed to be replaced on her vehicle.

- Bellows Falls, VT, USA

Jun 112008

Steering dampener needs replacing on 2005 Jeep Wrangler. The wheel shakes so bad at 50 mph if you hit a bump it can be ripped from your hands. Part is backorder until August. Dealership said that there is a waiting list of 2000 people for this part. Thus it might warrant a recall.

- Bellows Falls, VT, USA