2006 Jeep Wrangler fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Wrangler:

2006 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 3 of 6)

Jul 012014

Wrangler

Gas tank overflows at the gas pump, spiting fuel everywhere. Also while filling, the pump constantly shuts off as if the fill neck of the Jeep is overflowing. I have to barely hold the pump in the on position in order to fill and it still overflows. This problem is dangerous and needs to be addressed.

- Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Nov 132013

Wrangler 6-cyl

When fueling the fuel overflows every time. This can not be safe.

- Paducah, KY, USA

Oct 012014

Wrangler 6-cyl

When filling the fuel tank, the fuel overflows and spills gas on the ground. This is a defect in the overflow valve in the gas tank that causes pressure to build when the tank is near completely full during a fill-up. Many other Jeep owners have had the same problem according to the online jeepforum.com, wranglerforum.com and others. A recall is necessary to prevent possible fires and explosions. Many other Jeep owners have experienced this problem with both tj and jk Wrangler. Some have replaced the fuel overflow valve and solved the problem.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jul 012012

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

The gas tank overflows when it is being filled. This is a serious fire hazard to both the vehicle owner and the general public as a large quantity of gas overflows out of the tank.

- Walled Lake, MI, USA

May 012012

Wrangler

When I fill up with fuel after pump shuts off fuel gushes out on side of Jeep and onto ground.

- Temple, TX, USA

Nov 122013

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

I bought a used RHD 2006 Wrangler sport in Nov. 2013 for $18,500.........and you guys will not fix the gas tank that blows gas out while you are filling it, I lose at least a half a gallon of gas each time I fill it up, and it leaves a huge puddle on the ground and one time someone is going to throw a lit cigarette in it or ignite it is some way and people are going to get hurt........... I am sooooooooooooooooo upset over this, and the reason you won't fix it is because it is a RHD fleet vehicle.......it is my regular car, and I drive it everywhere, and if anything happens I will sue you until there is no tomorrow.

- New Buffalo, MI, USA

Aug 012014

Wrangler

Severe fuel spit back when filling up my Jeep Wrangler. Gas spilled all over the vehicle and ground!

- Pickerington, OH, USA

Jun 012010

Wrangler

Overflow of gas when filling 100% of time.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Feb 102009

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Every time I fuel up unless I listen very carefully to the change in the sound of the gasoline from the pump into the tank the fuel filler fails to automatically cut off without overflowing. Every Wrangler unlimited owner I have asked experiences the same problem, yet Chrysler fails to acknowledge the issue. I am personally unaware of any fires resulting from this problem, but the potential definitely exists.

- Coldspring, TX, USA

Feb 282014

Wrangler

Fuel pump will not shut off when the tank is full resulting in gasoline spilled on the vehicle and all over the ground.

- Chesapeake , VA, USA

Apr 012014

Wrangler

Obviously there are many complaints yet you guys are ignoring them. You fill up with gas and at top off it spits gas out that gets all over the person filling clothes. This is a major problem that you need to get off your asses and get this problem resolved before someone gets hurt. I purchased this vehicle recently and filled up 5 times and this occurred everytime. Fix it!

- Sayre, PA, USA

Mar 132014

Wrangler

When filling the fuel tank the pump cuts off to late and creates splash back and pours gasoline on the ground and all over whoever is near by.

- York, SC, USA

May 302013

Wrangler

Gas pumps will not fill vehicle properly. Gasoline spills from filler neck across back end of vehicle whenever I fill vehicle with fuel.

- Monroe, WA, USA

May 142008

Wrangler

When vehicle is being fueled up, gas leaks out of tank and spills. Seems the check valve is stuck of broken. I must make sure I stop filling before it gets full so it doesn't spill.

- Newark, DE, USA

Apr 012010

Wrangler 6-cyl

Gas spurts out of tank when I fill it up and drips all over gas station floor. The gas pump does not stop once its full like other cars and im worried spilled fuel could ignite. Also bad for environment.

- Cedarhurst , NY, USA

Mar 152012

Wrangler

Over fills at the fuel pump all the time.

- Easton, PA, USA

Apr 192012

Wrangler

At every fill up fuel spills all over myself, my car and the floor. Very unsafe! automatic shut off never kicks in when full. How many complaints do you need and for how many years! does anybody actually read them besides the consumer" there are over 500 complaints of this on this website alone. What does it take to get a recall"

- Miami, FL, USA

Mar 012010

Wrangler

Fueling the vehicle always results in fuel spray from the vent on the filler neck. This spray happens 100% of fuelings. The tank is often less than 90% full after this and requires topping and additional fuel spray. I have had to report to navy medical to have my eyes flushed and checked after being shot directly in the eyes while listening for the distinct sound of fuel bubbles rising to the top of the fuel filler neck. This causes on average 1/8 gallon of fuel to be spilled per fill up. Over 40K miles at an average of 14mpg that is 22 gallons of fuel spilled and more evaporated. If filling stations require shut off valves, and all new vehicles require evaporative emissions systems to control environmental air quality, to the great detriment of gas mileage, why has this issue not been investigated by the federal government" why do we have to use shoddy gas cans with carb compliant nozzles which cause more fuel spills than normal fuel containers if the government is prepared to ignore this" I've begun using surplus nato jerry cans to fill my truck and avoid being soaked in dangerously flammable and cancer causing fuel.

- Groton, CT, USA

Jun 012012

Wrangler

When putting gas in my Jeep using a fuel pump gas runs out all down the side of my vehicle and makes a puddle on the ground before the pump clicks off. This has been happening for over a year now. It happens every time I fill up my car unless I happen to hear how close the gas level is getting and shut the pump off on my own.

- Preble, NY, USA

Jun 102013

Wrangler 6-cyl

While filling the gas tank the pump never shut off causing gas to spill everywhere. Faulty check valve in fuel tank. Should be recalled.

- Gastonia, NC, USA