2006 Jeep Wrangler fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Jeep Wrangler:

2006 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 5 of 6)

Nov 102010

Wrangler 6-cyl

Adding gasoline to gas tank at a filling station with a standard pump nozzle, will always result in an expulsion of gasoline from the vehicle filler opening when the tank is full. The pump nozzle does shut off the delivery of fuel, but a suspected design flaw permits gasoline to erupt out of the filler opening, which will splash onto an unsuspecting person doing the refilling, onto his shoes, and run down the outside of vehicle, creating an unnecessary health and safety hazard. Video documentation can be easily found with a quick search on youtube.

- Fargo, ND, USA

Apr 072012

Wrangler 6-cyl

I own a 2006 Jeep tj rubicon & am having a refueling issue at the gas pump. At first it overflowed maybe twice. Now I can't refuel without the shut -off (on the gas pump) shutting off. The only way I can refuel is by holding the pump lever gently which does results in an over flow. I talked to Chrysler customer service & they said this is the first time they have heard of this problem & made an appointment for me for diagnostics a my local dealership which will cost me $120 for a problem that other tj owners are talking about on the internet. This has been a refueling problem for the last 6 months.

- Watsonville, CA, USA

Jan 102012

Wrangler 6-cyl

When fueling my Jeep Wrangler and all gas stations, the gas tank overflows when before the fuel cutoff switch on the gas pumps kicks off. Every single time this happens. There is a problem with the filler hose somehow from the factory. Not only does it leak out the top of spout but it sprays everywhere, on clothes and anything nearby within 3 feet. Probably half a cup of gas give or take at every fuel stop in my estimation.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Jan 192012

Wrangler 6-cyl

While pumping gas at multiple different gas stations, the pump failed to shut off when the fuel tank became fuel. As a result of the pump not shutting off, fuel spilled out of the tank as it became overfilled. I did not leave the pump nor did I set the lock on the pump so I would not have to hold the pump handle during any of the times I have pumped gas into the vehicle to avoid spilling fuel the best I can. This happens at many different stations that I fill my fuel tank up at, the only common denominator in my situation is the vehicle itself. The vehicle has not been modified in any way that would interfere with normal fuel pumping procedure.

- Addison, IL, USA

Apr 302012

Wrangler 6-cyl

I bought this vehicle used and the first time I went to fill up with gas, I put the nozzle in the filler opening and squeezed the handle all the way. I locked the handle so the gasoline would continue to flow and let go of the nozzle. Around the 16 gallon mark, gasoline shot out of the filler opening and then poured down the side of the Jeep. Enough came out that it created a small puddle on the ground. Gasoline got all over the side of the Jeep and the fender. It also sprayed my hand as I was standing near it. I had to wipe down the fender and side of Jeep because I didn't want to cause any damage to paint or plastic. I found this same problem each and every time I've filled the tank since that time. I've tried different gas stations and nozzles but it doesn't seem to matter. This is completely unacceptable in my opinion and forces me to barely trickle the gas into the tank by only squeezing the handle part way. If I don't do this, I spill gas onto the ground and the side of my Jeep with each fill. After researching this problem, I've found it is very common in my model year and the years surrounding. Why won't Chrysler just fix this?!

- South Jordan, UT, USA

Aug 192012

Wrangler 6-cyl

When filling up the gas tank, fuel sloshes out of the filler spout just before the pump clicks off. The back-splash volume is large enough to splash onto clothes, run down the side of the vehicle, and leave a small puddle of gasoline on the pavement.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Feb 282011

Wrangler 6-cyl

When filling up gas tank, fuel spills from the filling port all over once it is full. This happens every time I fill up and has done since I purchased the car in February 2011.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Jun 012012

Wrangler 4-cyl

Every time I fill up with fuel, the fuel overflows out of the vehicle and dumps gasoline onto me and the ground. This has a long term health effect on persons filling the vehicle. It has an immediate effect on the environment, and I will be notifying the epa of this issue as well. I see from various Jeep websites that this is a long standing issue that has not been addressed.

- Montverde, FL, USA

Jul 252012

Wrangler

Regardless of how fuel nozzle is placed, fuel tank over fills approx 1/8th-1/3th gallon of fuel. I fear this could cause a fire in the event fuel splashed onto brake rotor or other hot components, not to mention the environmental and financial impact of this issue directly related to poor design.

- Gunnison, CO, USA

Dec 312010

Wrangler

Every time I refuel my 2006 Jeep the gas sprays out of the filler tube until I remove the gas pump manually. This is a known Jeep issue that requires a replacement gas tank. Our environment and my body/clothes should not get covered in gasoline every time I refuel! please make Chrysler fix all Jeep models with this issue.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Jul 012009

Wrangler 6-cyl

I was filling up my 06 Jeep Wrangler and I got sprayed with fuel on my body, Jeep and ground. The problem has happened every time I try to fill my tank up to full. Im concerned that static electricity might ignite this, myself or another human being. Jeep/ Chrysler refuses to fix this on my Jeep. The same exact same thing was happening to my wife's 07 Chrysler aspen and it was recalled and fixed. We bought both vehicles new and they have never been wrecked. Jeep/ Chrysler are risking peoples lives with this issue.

- Cumming, GA, USA

Jul 112009

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2006 Jeep Wrangler. While refueling the vehicle, the contact noticed that fuel began to spill out of the filler neck. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for a diagnostic test. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- St. James, NY, USA

Jul 052012

Wrangler 6-cyl

Every Jeep owner I have talked to has a filling splash-back problem when filling their gas tank. Why hasn't there been a recall on all the Jeep and other models with this same problem.. get going on this it is not an isolated problem. All Jeep, ,,,, can you read " all are having this problem... big safety and health issue. Not one place but here did I find to list the problem as a safety issue. Too many sitting on their backsides and doing nothing on this safety issue. Read between the lines and get going. A very disgruntled tax payer and owner of a faulty product that is un-safe and un-healthy with nothing being done about it. Get my drift".....

- Pearce , AZ, USA

Apr 272012

Wrangler 6-cyl

Every time I fill up my Wrangler, it burps out fuel. This happens regardless of the speed of flow the gas( I have had this issue when slowly filling up as well as when the pump is engaged and "locked" on too. It is ridiculous that fuel spills every time I have to get some.

- Mooresville, NC, USA

May 122012

Wrangler

Every time I fill up the tank, fuel is ejected from the filler hose and goes all over the side of the Jeep and the ground and usually myself. The auto-shut off works on the pumps but fuel still comes out. I've tried using "half throttle" on the pump but still have the same problem. I've looked through many Jeep forums and it appears there is a fairly large range of Wrangler throughout different model years that have this issue. How has this not been a recall? this can't be safe to have fuel shooting out every time you fill up.

- Breinigsville, PA, USA

May 292012

Wrangler 4-cyl

Gas spill out when fueling to now will not take gas at all without major spillage.

- Northampton, MA, USA

May 152007

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

More than half of the times I fill the fuel tank, the filler nozzle does not shut off, spraying fuel outside the vehicle.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Feb 012010

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

When refueling the vehicle, the gas tank overflows and spills a lot of gas. Initially thought it was the pump, however, it happens at every gas station. This seems to be a significant safety hazard and someone could get hurt.

- Parker, CO, USA

May 052008

Wrangler 6-cyl

When I fill up fuel tank, as I get close to full, gas spits out of tank, also happens if I relaease fuel pump handle. Have had tank replaced. Work ok for about a year, now it spits gas again.

- Wilmington, OH, USA

May 242006

Wrangler

Since new every gas fill burbs gas back out of the filler hose on to rear fender and ground.

- Eagle Grove, IA, USA