2007 Jeep Wrangler steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Jeep Wrangler:

2007 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 2 of 7)

Nov 022014

We have had this incident many times before, referred to as the 'death wobble', had the steering pin replaced twice, and new tires, alignment and was fine for 3 months and yesterday it happened again, hit a bump in the road going 45 mph and Jeep just started rocking and jumping all over the road, had to pull off the road the make it stop. When are you people going to do something about this"???? when someone gets killed????? this is so dangerous and I cannot believe that this has not been recalled, so many people have this and are very upset, has this been looked into???" if you are for safety than this would have been looked into a long time ago!!!!!

- Tavernier, FL, USA

May 152013

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated while driving 40 mph, the vehicle was shaking uncontrollably. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the steering damper needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 35,000 and the current mileage was 37,000. Updated 8/27/14 the consumer stated at 35,000 miles the steering shaft was replaced and at 37,000 miles the steering damper was replaced. Updated 09/111/4

- Milton, DE, USA

Jun 122014

Wrangler 6-cyl

At 60 mph my Jeep started violently shake. I had to pull off the interstate in the emergency lane. This has happened over 10 times. I took it to the dealer and he said ball joints and steering damper was bad. $1,100 to fix it. It is still not steering correctly. There is a popping in the steering wheel and shakes somewhat when I hit a bump in the road. This is very dangerous. I had no idea there was a death wobble in the Jeep I loved so much. I will be trading the Jeep for a different SUV after I get the wobble fixed again. I am expecting a grand baby in Dec and there is no way I will put it in the Jeep.

- Deputy, IN, USA

Jan 162014

I was slowing while I was approaching a red light. The light turned green and I began my right turn. At this point, the front wheels wobbled and the steering tightened, taking me into the path of an oncoming vehicle (2010 Ford F-150) slowing to a stop for his red light. Upon impact, the seat belt (in use at the time) failed to actuate and the airbags failed to deploy, the driver's seat moved forward, throwing me into the steering wheel and windshield. I sustained a minor head laceration and impact trauma to the right chest. The combine speed of the crash was approximately 25-30 miles per hour. A passenger in the other vehicle was treated and released from the local hospital.

- Chillicothe, OH, USA

Apr 012013

Wrangler 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway, hit a bump in the road while changing lanes. The car started shaking very violently. I has to pull off the road slowing to about 40 mph in order to regain control of the vehicle and stop the shaking. When the shaking starts the entire vehicle shakes so violently it is hard to steer or even Focus on the road because you are shaking too. I have had the vehicle in to Jeep dealerships on a number of occasions and they all tell me the suspension is fine. Finally this last time, after complaining of the "death shake" as I have come to research and discover, they were able to put a larger steering dampener on my vehicle than was there in order to control the shaking. I still feel vibrations at expressway speeds but it is not violent shaking anymore. This repair cost over $250.

- Westland, MI, USA

Apr 012008

Wrangler 6-cyl

While driving over 55 mph on highway there is a death shake that start only letting up on the gas will it stop.

- Brookfield, IL, USA

Apr 012014

Vehicle experiences violent shaking that requires you to dramatically slow down to stop. Wobbles back and forth to an extreme that control is nearly lost. Completely stock vehicle with factory replacement tires. Tires are balanced and vehicle is aligned within spec. Online research states this is called "death wobble" as result of mismatched fastener sizes in factory assembly.

- Gloversville, NY, USA

Jan 262014

Wrangler 6-cyl

Was driving down highway at 55 mph when the vehicle all the sudden started shaking violently. The steering wheel was shaking out of control, the front wheels were rapidly going back and forth. I had no control over the vehicle and nearly went off the road. I had to slow the vehicle down, in traffic, to about 35 before the shaking stopped. About 5 miles later down the road it happened again. I once again had to slow the vehicle down to stop the issue. The weather conditions were normal, the road conditions were good. After the incident, I took the vehicle to a repair shop and had some steering parts replaced.

- Papillion, NE, USA

Mar 042014

Experience very loud and noisy exhaust manifolds, dealer found both intake manifolds to be defective and leaking, warranty repair and replaced both. #2 leak found in power steering, dealer stated leaks in lines, rack, and pump, warranty on all but the lines, #3 also found catalytic converter leak, recommend replacement (again happens to be under warranty) #4 found small hole in intermediate pipe, recommended replacement. #5 looking further dealership found cylinder head to be leaking!!!!!!!!!!!!! and yes, covered under warranty. Now I am beginning to wonder about this dealership, as I have never used them before not did I but the Jeep from them..#6 tech stated some wear in all ball joints, recommended replacement. #7 found steering damper to have a leak, recommended replacement, now as anyone can SE there seems to be many issues related to my 07 jk.

- Corinth, NY, USA

Mar 102014

Wrangler 6-cyl

Violent shaking at 50 mph had to slow to 30 mph would happen with gradual corners crossing uneven pavement ie. On ramp. I replaced steering damper which seemed to alleviate problem. The vehicle has stock configuration the same brand and size of tires it was originally equipped with.

- Waterloo, NE, USA

Jan 132014

I was driving approximately 55-60mph, there were some mild tar bumps in the road that I drove over and the car proceeded to the death wobble. It is exactly as everyone else has noted, the Jeep felt like all 4 wheels were coming off, the Jeep shook voilently, was extremely hard to handle. I slowed my speed and pulled off the road. The car felt like it was going to come apart. This is a known problem to Chrysler and to this organization, why won't you do something about it"???? with only 33K miles, I now have to get a new car because I am in fear of driving this one. If this had happened in the middle lane of an could have been tragic and that what you are waiting for" hope it isn't anyone you know when it does happen!

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Feb 172014

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. In addition, the vehicle would exhibit an abnormal noise when accelerating and when the vehicle sporadically failed to start. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer where it was diagnosed that the engine needed to be replaced due to the connection rod failing. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The manufacturer was contacted and advised that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 09V436000 (power train). The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 70,000.

- Bay Shore, NY, USA

Feb 082014

Wrangler 6-cyl

While driving on interstate and immediately after crossing over a bridge, the front end and steering wheel began to violently shake. Braking did not bring the condition under control. Fortunately I was in the right lane and able to pull onto the right shoulder. The shaking stopped when my speed fell below 25mph. I purchased this vehicle at approx 50,000 miles. This condition has never occurred before. Clearly there is potential for outright loss of steering control, or potential for collision from behind due to need for rapid deceleration while driving at a highway speeds.

- Charlottesville, VA, USA

Apr 042012

Wrangler 6-cyl

I have loved this Jeep since the day I got it, at about a few years after owning it I had experienced something I just couldn't believe!!! I was going down the road at 45 miles an hour when I must have hit a bump in the road, my Jeep continued to shake violently and I could not stop it unless I pulled off the road and tried to come to a complete stop. I then went directly to my mechanic who then inspected the vehicle, he found nothing wrong and said he did not experience it himself. I have replaced all the shocks, new tires, brakes, steering pin and still have that problem, I did not know what it was until I started looking it up on the internet, there is even a video of someone driving a Jeep exactly like mine and it is doing the same thing. I have seen hundreds of complaints on this, if something is not done someone is going to get killed when they are in ice or rain!!!! why hasn't anyone stepped up to have this fixed" I have called Jeep on it and they said they have had complaints but no one is doing anything about it! really?? how about you climb into my vehicle and have this "death wobble" happen to you with your child in it??" I am 2 payments away from paying off my Jeep, this just disgusts me! something needs to be done!!!!!!!

- Key Largo, FL, USA

Aug 142013

Wrangler 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph over a road bump, the vehicle and the steering wheel began to vibrate excessively and caused the contact to lose control of the vehicle. The contact erroneously drove off the roadway. The contact had the vehicle diagnosed by an independent dealer, who replaced the steering stabilizer but the defect was not remedied. The manufacturer was notified and no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 59,000. Updated 03/11/14

- Evansville, IN, USA

Dec 272013

The 2007 Jeep Wrangler unlimited X model began violent shaking in the front end at highway speeds. The shaking started mildly then became violent. I slowed down and the shaking subsided but this is extremely dangerous when the traffic flow is moving at faster rates. An on-line search indicates that this is common in this model. I believe this should be recalled and fixed.

- Blue Springs, MO, USA

Sep 192013

Wrangler 6-cyl

When traveling at 45 mph I made a slight left turn in the road and went over a long small bump in the road maybe from a road seam that was filled in. Both wheels hit it at the same time and the Jeep slowly started shaking until it became very violent inside the Jeep. I had to slow my speed down to approx 10 mph to get it to stop. I happened to have a coworker behind me who saw the whole thing from behind and said the car was shaking back and forth so much that it looked like my rims were almost touching the road since my tire treads stayed straight. It felt like I had 4 flats. I changed the steering dampener and the shocks to rancho brand which are larger than the oem but it happened again but not nearly as bad since I now know when it could possibly happen. If there were cars next to me I would have hit them. This is a very real problem which is scary. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

- Sussex, NJ, USA

Feb 152012

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated while driving various speeds, the vehicle shook violently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing but they were unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 36,000.

- Alllen , TX, USA

Jul 032013

Wrangler 6-cyl

Driving on 4 lane non-interstate road in the rain at approximately 40 mph. Drove through a puddle that seemed to affect the left front tire only and the front end began to shake violently as though something had came loose. There was a strong pull to the left also. I'm thinking I will have to get the front end checked out, stopped at a grocery store for a few things and when headed home the shake is still there, but not so violent. Parked at home overnight and headed out the next day to get it looked at and there is no shake whatsoever, vehicle drives like it always has. In doing some research on the internet I see a problem others seem to be having exactly like mine and it's being called the "death wobble". it has not done this since this one time but it has me worried that it will at any time, and could be very dangerous.

- Summerfield, FL, USA

Jul 042013

I bought a new 2007 Jeep Wrangler death wobble started at 70,000 miles mark Mitsubishi in phoenix AZ has not helped me out at all it goes every 10,000 miles on me and they just replaced my tires. Death wobble occurred the day after and before. How do we all get together who have this problem and get Jeep to be responsible for a defective front end. Death wobble is not only scary it is dangerous and I hope that it doesn't take someone getting killed for them to finally replace it.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA