2007 Jeep Wrangler steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Jeep Wrangler:

2007 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Nov 102016

Wrangler

While driving, trac bar bracket broke off front axle & vehicle could not be steered or controlled. Approx 2 weeks later, rear trac bracket broke off rear axle & vehicle was swaying, but could be controlled. The prior incidents mentioned above happened in 07/12 & 08/12. Jeep dealer made repairs by re-welding brackets. On 11/10/2016 my wife was coming home from work & heard a loud bang and lost control of vehicle & it was bouncing violently & could not steer vehicle & almost crashed vehicle. Trac bar bracket on front axle had broken off again after being repaired by Jeep dealer.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Oct 162016

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

When driving at speeds of 50 to 55 mph the Jeep will go into an uncontrollable wobble which you have to bring the Jeep to almost to a complete stop to get it under control.have had it to the place of purchase in June 2016 3 times. They say they have fixed it but it is still doing the same thing.last fix they turned brake rotors and reset tire pressure. No help.

- Connersville, IN, USA

Jul 082016

Wrangler

While driving, if the vehicle hits a small bump, the front end shakes violently back and forth until I am able to stop the vehicle. This problem is widespread and can be found on the internet as the "Jeep death wobble". we've spent $900 to have this fixed and have been to 2 different garages to have it fixed and the mechanics can't find anything more that is wrong and claim it's a design flaw in the vehicle.

- Punta Gorda, FL, USA

May 022016

Wrangler

Letter from congressman forbes on behalf of constituent re 2007 Jeep Wrangler recall. The consumer stated the transmission failed. Also, the consumer experienced what was known as the "death wobble".

- Franklin, VA, USA

Jun 222015

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Wrangler. While driving approximately 50-70 mph, the vehicle violently shook and experienced a loss of steering. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the steering stabilizer needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was approximately 29,985. Updated 02/10/16 the consumer went to another repair shop, where he was informed the upper and lower ball joints needed to be replaced. Updated 04/05/16.

- Joplin, MO, USA

Dec 142015

Wrangler

"takata recall" as of yesterday, December 14, 2015, a white tape started coming out of the steering column. A few weeks ago, the air bag light would come on and go back off which I thought was odd but, it went back out so I wasn't concerned and it never stayed on for any length of time. Then yesterday I get in my Jeep to go to work and as I turn the wheel out of my driveway, I could hear this noise like someone was wrinkling up paper. It is only eight miles from my home to work so, I kept listening to figure out what it was. By the time I got to work, there was a white tape coming out of the steering column. After work, I took it and had it looked at and was told that the "clock spring" is unraveling in the steering column. Usually this is only seen when you have been in an accident and the air bag has been deployed. I have never been in an accident so, it should not be unraveling inside the steering column. I was also told, I shouldn't drive my vehicle because there is a chance the air bag will deploy. I got it home and now it is sitting in my driveway.

- Meadville, PA, USA

Oct 052015

Wrangler

This problem is known as the Jeep death wobble. On a 25 mile stretch of road between sonoita, AZ and tucson, Arizona I had to pull off the road 5 times in one trip to stop dangerous and almost unmanageable front-end steering vibrations. Jeep as far as I know has not issued a recall, but from reading automotive literature I understand that have issued 4 or 5 modification kits none of which has been successful in solving the problem. The Jeep steers normally at low speed or on straight glass smooth highways. However above 40 mph with any rhythmic ripple or individual pothole a front end hopping vibration starts that can only be controlled by stopping the vehicle and then pulling back onto the highway. I had a non-dealer garage fix it once and Jeep reimbursed me (but no formal recall). The problem reappeared in six months and I pressured the garage into fixing it again. Some time after that the problem reoccurred and they would not do anything. According to automotive literature Jeep as issued 4 or 5 different engineering changes for the problem, but none have produced a permanent fix. This tells me that the "Jeep death wobble" is less if a wear issue, but rather an engineering failure. Once the front end starts to bounce the tire in contact with the road will steer the vehicle to the opposite side of the road. Then the tire on the other side comes down and steers the other direction and the front end bounces sided-to-side with increasing violence.

- Sonoita, AZ, USA

Sep 102012

Wrangler

Hit a slight bump at highway speeds and the Jeep suddenly started shacking violently. This is also commonly known as the "death wobble". I had no control over my vehicle and had to swerve over and stop, causing traffic behind me to have to react suddenly.

- Westerville, OH, USA

Sep 012015

Wrangler

I was driving on the highway, I hit a small bump on my rear wheel and all of a sudden my whole vehicle had stared to shake vigorously including the steering wheel I had to move of the road and come to a complete stop in order for the wheel to stop shaking

- San Jose, CA, USA

Aug 092015

Wrangler

This happens frequently when I hit a bump at highway speeds. The front end starts to shake so bad, I have almost gotten into accidents trying to get out of peoples way. I am scared to drive it, heaven forbid my wife ever drives it. I am scared to drive my own car. I have been told this is called the Jeep death shake, and it happens to alot of Jeep owners, why has there not been a recall to fix it before anyone else dies, I have heard that several people have died.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Jul 012015

Wrangler

When I drive over 50 mph and hit a bump, the front end of the car shakes violently. It becomes very hard to control. The only way to stop the shaking is to slow down which made it extremely dangerous when I was driving on the highway and this happened.

- Hackettstown, NJ, USA

Jun 132007

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Wrangler. While driving approximately 55 mph, there was a bump in the road which caused the vehicle to shake and the contact lost control of the steering wheel. The shaking was stopped by applying the brakes. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was unable to be diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred multiple times. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 3,000.

- Tucson , AZ, USA

May 152015

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Wrangler. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle shook violently without warning. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the steering column was loose and needed to be tightened. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 110,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Moount Croford, VA, USA

Jan 162015

Wrangler

Experienced the Jeep death wobble while travelling at 70 mph on a highway. I thought that I had experienced a blow out and the tire was moving from side to side on the rim. This was extremely violent. After I got the vehicle stopped I inspected it for damage and could not find any obvious problems. This happened five more times on that trip. I took the car to a mechanic that found nothing wrong. Had the tires rotated and balanced. They were in balance. Started researching the problem and found out about the death wobble. Found the steering damper was loose and tightened it. Helped a little but problem still occurs. Taking it to a dealer next to have the damping and alignment components replaced. I am the original owner and the vehicle is stock.

- Pflugerville, TX, USA

Jun 012013

Wrangler

I was driving on highway when hitting 65mph and Jeep started to shake uncontrollably. I would have to stop and pull over to a lower speed for it to stop. But if I was in left lane and it started I couldn't swing to breakdown lane so would have to stop immediately in traffic. Very unsafe but better than causing accident. I replaced the steering stabilizer last summer with no relief. Why is Jeep not handling this " why are people like us spending thousands of dollars on a vehicle just to have cause life threatening issues I have many things and read up on this death wobble of Jeep. Is it something I can get lawyers involved "

- Hudson, NH, USA

Sep 302014

Wrangler

My vehicle developed a horrible wobble in the steering and suspension while driving at about 60 mph on the highway. I slowed down and the wobble stopped but persisted whenever I went approximately 60 mph. I took the vehicle to the dealership, they are very aware of the Jeep death wobble however the cost of repairs is mine to bear. This could cause a significant accident, yet Jeep is ignoring repairing this. To this day it is still not fixed 100%.

- Larkspur, CO, USA

Sep 012014

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

When driving and vehicle hit a bump with right tire vehicle would begin violently shaking until slowed down to 15 mph. Took to repair shop who diagnosed it with death wobble and replaced lower drag link and installed new tires. No issues so far. Also both floorboards get wet when it rains.

- Okeechobee, FL, USA

Dec 032014

Wrangler 6-cyl

The front end began to shake violently after hitting an uneven road on a hill/curve. The shaking would not stop until I hit the brakes. This occurred three times in December of 2014. A mechanic said the steering stabilizer and front ball joints needed to be replaced and the problem was common with Jeep, known as the "death wobble".

- Austin, TX, USA

Jan 082015

Wrangler

I have been experiencing an extreme shaking while operating the vehicle. I occurs very randomly and comes on with out notice. It occurs on the highway as well Suburban streets and at any speed. I read an article from 08' from another person that had the same issue. It sounded like nothing was done from this organization and the vehicle maker. This is very unsafe situation for owners of this vehicle and is a safety hazard for others on the road. Please respond to this message and let me know if something can and will be done.

- Beaumont , CA, USA