9.4

2. new ball joints and new steering stabilizer (2 reports)
  3. replace track arm bushings (2 reports)
  4. ball joints (1 reports)
  5. change the steering shock (1 reports)
  6. replace all tie rods and steering stabilizer (1 reports)
2007 Jeep Wrangler suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Jeep Wrangler:

2007 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Nov 012015

Wrangler

Almost got into an accident today. Death wobble was really aggressive today and lasted 2 minutes on the highway. Death wobble happens 2-3 times per week on the highway. The whole car shakes aggressively like you are on a roller coster. No matter how many times this happens, its still scary as hell. I've taken it 3 times to the Jeep dealership and spent over $1000 and they cannot/will not fix it. I do not feel comfortable trading this car in the condition that it is in and I am out of options. Jeep needs a recall for this. I have zero ability to fix this problem myself. Please help!!!

- , Hamden, CT, USA

Feb 082016

Wrangler Sahara 3.8L ,V6

I was sold a Jeep that has the death wobble. I am now trying to get the dealership to fix it. I will give updates as to what happened along with the name of the dealership.

- , Charles Town, WV, USA

Feb 102016

Wrangler Unlimited

This has happened a total of three times so far. Driving on highway about 65 mph and hit a bump in road. Front end began wobbling terribly. I thought for sure my tire was coming off or I blew a tire. The front end was wobbling back and forth fairly severely. I was on major highway and had to change lanes and slow way down before it stopped wobbling. It felt as though I was going to have a blowout and wreck the vehicle.

- , Pasco, WA, USA

Mar 082015

Wrangler X 3.8L

Jeep wobble really scary, starts around 60/65 mph. You have to pull over and come to a complete stop. This wobble is going to get someone hurt or worse kill somebody.

- , Beloit, WI, USA

Nov 102015

Wrangler

Purchased the vehicle used and the first time from my house to work as I was taking an off ramp to the left the uneven transition on the highway from asphalt to concrete the bump caused the vehicle to go into a violent shaking, so much I had to basically stop traffic to get it under control. Got out inspected this and did not see damage, thought perhaps it was a loose shock, or something had came loose. It has happened three additional times but now I am more aware of the potential of it happening so I slow down and take it easy on places like that when driving.

- , Lascassas, TN, USA

Mar 012015

Wrangler X V6

Death Wobble off and on for the last year. No pattern, no rhyme or reason noted. Comes and goes. $1,200 so far.

- , Sharpsburg, GA, USA

Sep 012015

Wrangler LX V6

Replaced steering stabilizer shocks front track bar, still has the death wobble

- , Bradford, VT, USA

Oct 112015

Wrangler Limited

Was driving up the interstate at 70 mph when my Jeep starting shaking and vibrating. I pulled over on the interstate with my 10 ten old grand daughter in the Jeep and was not really sure what was wrong. I was 7 hours from home. I thought initially it may have been the road because I had never heard of the death wobble before, but it didn't seem like any others vehicles were doing the same thing. I got out of the Jeep thinking maybe it was a tire or something under the Jeep, but nothing appeared wrong. It wasn't until I took my Jeep into the shop and mentioned the shaking that the repair tech knew exactly what it was. I cannot believe that Jeep would not have a recall on the problem. I guess people have to crash and die before they recall the issue.

- , Huntsville, AL, USA

Apr 152015

Wrangler Wrangler X 3.2L V6

It's exactly as others have described. This is a relatively new issue just now occurring in the last 6 months. Driving my 2007 Jeep Wrangler, ~98,500 miles, manual transmission, lifted 3 inches with some 20' mud grapplers. Driving normal speed, in town or interstate, usually between 35-65 MPH and it begins to wobble so badly I must pull the Jeep to the side using my brake to decelerate for the wobble to begin to cease and then continue my drive. Frequently occurs, sometimes multiple times in any given trip local trip (I no longer take long trips with his Jeep for this reason).

Multiple shop visits with local Dodge/Chrysler dealer - find nothing and can't tell me if others have experienced this same issue. I've also recently visited an independent mechanic and he sent me to an off road shop and that is where I learned of the term "death wobble" and this occurs in mostly in Jeep Wrangler and Cherokee models. The guys at the off road shop also solicit the 9mm bolt in a 9/16 hole philosophy and say this repair will hold but damage could also have occurred to the tire rods and stabilizer bar that requires these items to also be replaced. It's Christmas and I have 7 kids so not spending money on this yet, but will have to in January.

Of all the good and safe reasons for recalls and manufacturers being held accountable for a defective design, this is a concern for the safety and well being of Jeep owners experiencing this issue. As a man, I feel comfortable 'handling' the wild steering issue but my wife or most women would be challenged and I fear this could lead to preventable accidents, harm, and deaths if not corrected.

- , Little Rock, AR, USA

May 092015

Wrangler Sahara V6

Jeep shakes out of control on highway going 62- 69 miles per hour. When you apply the brakes it gets worst. It is called the Death Wobble. There needs to be a recall. Jeep has three issues: with the Jeeps suspension, steering, or axle. I have read a lot of complaints. I will never purchase a Jeep again and everyone who is thinking about purchasing one I will tell them not to.

Very disgusted with the Jeep product. Chrysler doesn't stand behind their product. I spoke with a Jeep dealership and the mechanic knew all about the Death Wobble. He quoted me $400 to $700 to fix an obvious defect!

- , Berwick, PA, USA

Oct 132015

Wrangler LX 3.2L

JEEP NEEDS TO FIX THIS. I HAVE A APPOINTMENT TUESDAY AT 9AM

- , Joplin, MO, USA

Jul 192013

Wrangler

I have a 2007 Jeep Wrangler Sahara about three years ago I experienced the Death Wobble. It is getting worse and no one knows the fix. When I call Dodge they have never heard of it. I talked to someone who worked for them before and they said it was common. I am at a lose on what to do. They should recall these jeeps.

- , Edmonton, AB, Canada

Jan 152010

Wrangler Unlimited

I love my Jeep BUT the first Death wobble scared me and my daughter extremely. Driving 55 mph on busy Grand Central in heavy traffic on a corner hit small hole and started violently shaking. We had no idea and thought the wheels were going to fall off. Puller over (super dangerous with 4 lanes of fast traffic....) then continued slowly. With research we found out it was COMMON! What?Since then I just expect it,,, try not to panic, avoid any bumps with a new formed anxiety and hold on tight. BUT then I saw a video and realize that it is just not a shaking inside... it looked insane to others outside.. So now I really have anxiety BUT when I called the dealer they play dumb and with horrible mechanic experiences I am afraid to start spending 1000 plus for no results! In fact first year my jeep did the (sudden turn off completely ) while driving in traffic.. I received the recall for that.. took it into dealer, they said OKAY fixed and that problem still happens once a year! So then it "my death wobble' left for awhile.. Now it is back with a new surge of force so I am concerned . i have never modified anything, tires are great, always have proper maintenance.. so now what????

- , Astoria, NY, USA

Oct 222015

Wrangler Rubicon 3.2L V6

I have been experiencing this for a few years now. I usually get the death wobble around 60 mph during a left turn and poor road conditions like uneven pavements and road patches. I had an alignment done and it seemed to resolve the problem for a little while but I still noticed a slight vibration around 60 mph. Just recently I started getting the wobble again.

During my research I did find the most likely culprit is loose hardware on the track bar, as well as a few other suggestions. http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?311-DEATH-WOBBLE-What-it-is-What-it-isn-t-and-What-You-Can-Do-to-Fix-it is about the best info I have found yet.

- , Madisonville, LA, USA

Oct 172015

Wrangler 3.8L

Where to start. I have had this issue since around 45000 miles. It started by hitting a pot hole at 45 mph. I have had 3 steering stabilizers, ball joints replaced, cart pins replaced, several alignments, new tires in which I balance and rotate every 3000 to 4000 miles, track bar replaced, my new cost of repair are 4 new tie rods with new pins and alignment. I have been in the shop 5 times in the last two years. My cost is now over 5k. I am a fully stocked vehicle never been modified. I am not 4x4 I have 4x2.

I have contacted Chrysler several times in the last couple of months. They know they have a problem. I was told today by customer care supervisor that this is just a vibration. I laughed. I have been told by the manager of the service department that it is due to the solid front axle they put in these Jeeps. No one at the dealership will go for a ride with me because they are to afraid for their own safety. What about mine and my child.

I am in the process if contacting my congress men and women, I have started a petition which I wish to share with anyone interested frogielawman@gmail.com. please contact me. I will provide you my link. I want to find the end of this issue. We need to make more complaints. I am going to be parking my jeep until Chrysler owns up to their mistake or until they but it back. This is a very serious issue. Please as the customers of these Jeeps we need a solution and that is not to continue paying for a manufacturer defect.

Update from Nov 2, 2015: So today I hit a small enter change of the road and again the death wobble. Called Chrysler again now again I am waiting to find or what they are wanting to do. I just got my jeep out last Saturday with a cost of 1300. Now I am wondering what they ate going to tell me. I will keep you posted.

- , Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Oct 052015

Wrangler Unlimited X

This is the classic Jeep Wrangler death wobble. I had it fixed previously at a Garage chain and while Jeep, to the best of my knowledge, has never done a formal recall, Jeep did pay for the repair. Within six monthe the repair failed and I got the garage to do a redo at their own expense. This also fail again and I could not get them to do anything. I then went to a jeep dealership and they wanted me to pay. During one incident the vibration shredded my front tires. Today I had to drive 100 miles round trip through the mountains from Sonoita, AZ to Tucson, Arizona and I had to pull off the road 5 times when when the front end became uncontrollable on mountain roads. My understanding is that Jeep has gone through 4 or 5 modification kits and still not come up with one that provides a permanent fix. I am an easterner, but I deserve a rodeo belt buckle for being able to stay mounted in my 2007 Jeep Wrangler X Unlimited when it decides to do its "Dynamite the Killer Horse" imitation. I was taking my wife into Tucson to see a Dentist about a double extraction but the ride was so rough the dentist had an easy time getting her teeth out.

- , Sonoita, AZ, USA

Aug 122015

Wrangler 3.2L V6

Seldom drive my Jeep. On 2 occasions the front end and steering wheel shake so violently, it feels as if the steering wheel is going to come out of my hand. Two trips to a mechanic and cannot find the cause, I read other people are expediting same problem with no answer.

- , Shalimar, FL, USA

Oct 082012

Wrangler Sport V6

Not safe, pretty significant death wobble when I hit a bump. Shook so badly, it knocked some engine components out of order. I had to pull over, and have it towed.

- , Littleton, CO, USA

Jan 012014

Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4.0L V6

Death wobble started a couple years ago. Became very bad. Replaced stabilizer strut, tie rods, smoothed it out for a while. Started getting worse again, Monro Muffler found a service bulletin to modify the damper bracket. Helped for a while, now occurring more and more frequent.

- , Williamsport, PA, USA

Aug 032014

Wrangler 4 Door Unlimited V6

Seems to be a very common problem with the Wrangler. Not sure why there hasn't been any sort of a recall.

- , Westerville, USA