2. replace track arm bushings (2 reports)
  3. ball joints (1 reports)
  4. change the steering shock (1 reports)
  5. replace all tie rods and steering stabilizer (1 reports)
  6. replace steering control box (1 reports)
2007 Jeep Wrangler suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Jeep Wrangler:

2007 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 122015

Wrangler 3.2L V6

Seldom drive my Jeep. On 2 occasions the front end and steering wheel shake so violently, it feels as if the steering wheel is going to come out of my hand. Two trips to a mechanic and cannot find the cause, I read other people are expediting same problem with no answer.

- , Shalimar, FL, USA

Oct 082012

Wrangler Sport V6

Not safe, pretty significant death wobble when I hit a bump. Shook so badly, it knocked some engine components out of order. I had to pull over, and have it towed.

- , Littleton, CO, USA

Jan 012014

Wrangler Sahara Unlimited 4.0L V6

Death wobble started a couple years ago. Became very bad. Replaced stabilizer strut, tie rods, smoothed it out for a while. Started getting worse again, Monro Muffler found a service bulletin to modify the damper bracket. Helped for a while, now occurring more and more frequent.

- , Williamsport, PA, USA

May 202015

Wrangler X V6

I'm just driving down the road around 45 miles an hour, go over some railroad tracks and the whole front end starts shaking violently. I limped into a local mechanic shop where I usually go they replace the shock absorbers and I've had the steering box replaced to no avail. The death wobble happened the second time riding down the interstate at 65 miles an hour hitting a small bump and the front ends starts shaking violently. I had to slam on the brakes several times to slow my Jeep down and then took it to the shop again where they could find nothing to fix this time. I can assure you that what is happening in to my Jeep has never happened in any other Jeep that I've had. I suppose it will take somebody to die because of the death wobble before Fiat-Chrysler will do anything about it.

I would not recommend buying another jeep until they figure out all the issues that exist with the current recalls and the past recalls and the ones they won't acknowledge. I used to take pride in having my jeep and now I am afraid to hit a damn bump in it. I also had the catalytic converter go out after 34000 miles but they would not replace it because I am second owner and didn't have all the paperwork from the first owner what a crock. I'm starting to think that Jeep sucks.

- , St Petersburg, FL, USA

Jul 082015

Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 3.6L V6

Almost crashed at 70 mph on the Belt this morning.

Then was stranded in St. Albans, NY.

Having the mechanic look at the problem now.

- , Bay Shore, NY, USA

Jun 242015

Wrangler Unlimited V6

So this is the second round of death wobble fix attempts. I've experienced the death wobble several times in recent months when hitting a railroad crossing or pothole. This is after having spent $1,200 to have the whole front end practically replaced.

This time I did some more research and found some folks online claiming the biggest cause is the fact that Chrysler uses 14mm bolts in the 9/16" track bar bushings and frame mount holes. So there's too much play in the bolt/bolt-hole area.

So I bought a new track bar and got some 9/16" "death wobble cure kit" bolts (grade 8) and nuts and washers.

My mechanic replaced all of this, and I guess we'll see if this fixes the problem for good, though I have my doubt - based on everything that's online. It seems like no one can truly find the one solution to fix it for good.

Jeep/Chrysler needs to come out and take responsibility for this bullshit and make it right with all the Jeep owners out there having this problem. It's damn dangerous, scary, and not one bit ok.

- , Zebulon, USA

Sep 012014

Wrangler Unlimited V6

Had the dreaded death wobble pop up the first time around Labor Day 2014. Wife was driving us back from a camping trip, and the violent shaking began - and didn't stop until she pulled over. Death wobble. If you've had it you'll know.

So I took it in to my mechanic, who said the tie rod ends were all shot and the steering stabilizer was leaking.

$1,200 and all new tie-rods and a brand new steering stabilizer later, I thought I was fine.

Only to have it come back later.

- , Zebulon, USA

Jun 302014

Wrangler X 3.8L

Have had the "death wobble" since I purchased the Jeep. This happened on both stock suspension and modified suspension and so far, it has happened well over 160 times over the course of this last year (I lost count as it happens frequently. I've dished out well over $1,000 to fix (so far), have had two accidents as a direct result of this, countless near misses, many a drink on the floor board or myself then the floor thanks to either the gut-wrenching wobble itself, or having to slam on the breaks.

Even more unsafe is that EVERY TIME it happens, the only way to regain control of the vehicle is to stop immediately or risk further damage or losing control. This means having to slam on the breaks many times at highway speeds and hope that 1.) I'm actually driving as my fiancé wouldn't have the strength to keep control 2.) I maintain enough control to guide the Jeep to an emergency lane so I can safely stop. 3.) Other drivers are paying attention and don't hit me.

- , St. Augustine, FL, USA

Nov 132014

I experienced the same problem and the same frustration about a year ago with my 2007 Jeep Wrangler JK. I took it to a buddies shop and he said that the problem was the Track Arm Bushings. I got the part just about the time I got rid of the Jeep so I never saw the issue through to the end. I came across the part last week while cleaning out the garage and decided to try to sell the parts. In an effort to provide detailed information on the part as well as the price of the part new ($13.99 - $16.99) I found the following advertisement and thorough explanation of why the death wobble occurs, how it affects other parts and what is required to fix it. I also found your comment and remembering feeling the same way as you do now I wanted to pass along this information. Also, I have highlighted the recognizable symptoms as well as underlined the chief complaints I had as I remember it. I hope this helps and good luck!

home / all brands / energy suspension / part number 2.7105r

Energy Suspension® 2.7105R - Front or Rear Track Arm Bushings

Energy Suspension Performance Suspension Parts

Brand: Energy Suspension Part Number: 2.7105R UPC: 703639953296

- , Murray, UT, USA

Apr 102015

I bought this Jeep used, so I understand there may be some problems. I wasn't expecting to have my life flash in front of me several times due to this "death wobble". I took it in for an alignment and balance. $130 later it is still having the same issues. This is occurring daily at this point so I am afraid to drive, yet it is my only mode of transportation. I am frustrated and hoping there is someone who is able to help so I don't go broke fixing this problem. Also, I am not sure why Chrysler isn't being held accountable. This is an extremely dangerous situation and they should be required to fix or recall every vehicle that has this issue!!!

- , Evergreen, CO, USA

Jun 012013

Wrangler Unlimited 3.8L V6

I was driving on highway when hitting 65mph and jeep started to shake uncontrollably. I would have to stop and pull over to a lower speed for it to stop. But if I was in left lane and it started I couldn't swing to breakdown lane so would have to stop immediately in traffic. Very unsafe but better than causing accident. I replaced the steering stabilizer last summer with no relief. Why is jeep not handling this ? Why are people like us spending thousands of dollars on a vehicle just to have cause life threatening issues I have many things and read up on this death wobble of jeep. Is it something I can get lawyers involved ?

- , Hudson, NH, USA

Oct 012013

Wrangler Sahara

The local jeep dealer refuses to acknowledge that there is a problem with the vehicle and - when I tell him that I want to ride along for his test drive - they never are able to accommodate me.

I'm really sick of this

- , Phoenixville, PA, USA

Feb 202015

Wrangler Unlimited V6

Problem occurred at 60 MPH, dry straight freeway at rush hour. Should be easier to fix than just trial and error.

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Dec 152014

Wrangler Limited X 3.8L V6

3rd solution, change out track bar bolts. Didn't work !

Dec 082014

Wrangler Limited X 3.8L V6

2nd solution, change the ball joints. Didn't work !

Dec 012014

Wrangler Limited X 3.8L V6

1st solution, change shocks and steering stabilizer. Didn't work !

Nov 112014

Wrangler Limited

problem is mine according to management of Chrysler.

- , Marion, VA, USA

Dec 042013

We bought the 2007 Jeep from Berlin City in Vermont.. Two months later my son takes it on the interstate, hits a bump, and bang, the Jeep starts shaking out of control. We went back to Berlin City and they replaced the steering shock. Cost us because it wasn't under warranty. Two days later it started again.

Brought it back the worker went for a ride with us and the Jeep wouldn't do the shake.....He said there was nothing wrong with the Jeep. WELL the Jeep is still doing it. Here's what we've replaced-- STEERING SHOCK, BALL JOINTS, CONTROL ARM, BUSHINGS, REAR TRACK BAR, SHOCKS, TIRES............. and Thursday it's going in for the front track bar ... This is costing a lot of money. and Jeep says it's not their problem............PLEASE HELP ME. ANYONE have any ideas?????????????

- , Burlington, VT, USA

Apr 162014

Wrangler Unlimited 3.8L V6

I took it into the shop, they changed the steering shock and was fixed. The death wobble would only happen at the speed range of 85 - 95 KPH. After it was changed I went 90 and hit a whole bunch of bumps and nothing happened.

- , Edmonton, Alberta, canada

Mar 132014

Wrangler Unlimited X 3.8L

Around 50,000 miles I started to feel a popping in the steering, took it to the dealership and sure enough there is nothing wrong. Around the same time the engine started burning a quart of oil every thousand miles and the dealerships response was it was perfectly normal which I've had cars with 200,000 miles and don't burn nearly that much oil. Then around 70,000 the doors started rusting and the death wobble appeared. The death wobble increasingly got worse the longer I drove it like that and eventually it was just unsafe for not only the occupants of the vehicle but anyone around me on the road and was completely undrivable so I took it to a local suspension shop to get the problem fixed and they said it was going to be $1500 after parts and labor, the entire front end was replaced pretty much and the problem was much better but the popping in the steering is still there. Probably going to have the ball joints done soon to help fix the problem. I have not done any upgrades to the jeep at all other than new tires and regular maintenance.

- , Minooka, IL, USA