2007 Jeep Wrangler suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Jeep Wrangler:

2007 Jeep Wrangler Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Apr 162012

Wrangler 6-cyl

This was one of the worst times since I bought my Jeep used in Oct of 2011 that it did this horrible shaking between 55-60 mph. It has done it several times since then and recently was worse than ever!! it started at 40 mph and continued even over 60 mph it was so bad I needed to pull over, as I couldn't control it. I have since read online that this is an issue many Jeep owners face-especially 2007. I am going to contact Jeep as I want it fixed, I could have crashed if I weren't in the far right lane on the highway at the time of incident!!! it needs to be addressed and recalled to be repaired. I'm hoping Jeep and my local dealer can fix it and it never happens again!

- Bay Village, OH, USA

Jun 182010

Wrangler 6-cyl

Bought 2007 Jeep Wrangler unlimited X in April 2010. 2 months later while filling it up at the gas station the gas came pouring back out. I thought pump was broken actually informed clerk. Happened again 3 fill-ups later. Around that time started having a shimmy in front end. Brought it back to dealer on several occasions. Was told they never heard of gas coming back out I must be doing something wrong and the shimmy was "normal" for Jeep. Been having major issues with this truck it has been in the shop more than any vehicle I have ever owned. I've only bought used. I've had to have the 02 sensors changed 4 times. I have my tires balanced several times. My tires rotated. Alignments, etc. I have also replaced the steering damper. Fast forward to 2013. Shimmy is so bad I almost took out another driver. Thankfully I'm a commercially trained driver otherwise it could have ended badly. Still have gas pouring out every fill up. 02 sensors still keep crapping out. Head gaskets had to be replaced already. I finally had enough and told dealer they need to fix no more games and I find out about the tsb for the steering damper. Then I also have to be told that my main rear oil seal is now leaking and my tranny coolant lines are leaking"?? oh and was told that all this was normal for Jeep as well???" really!!!!! the truck only has 66K miles on it. It's all original no lift kits, no off roading, nothing.... this is bull... for the amount of money I paid for this vehicle somebody should be doing something. I find his site and lo and behold... I'm not the only one... unbelievable!!!!

- Henryville, PA, USA

Sep 062012

Wrangler 6-cyl

Violent shaking from front wheels after hitting small bumps in road. Steering shook side to side. Had to bring Jeep to complete stop for shaking to stop. Very dangerous. Jeep did this nearly every day.

- Waddell, AZ, USA

Feb 042013

Wrangler 6-cyl

Hit a pothole traveling at 70 mph the vehicle experienced a violent shaking until I stopped.

- Riverview, MI, USA

Jan 172013

Wrangler 6-cyl

Driving my stock 2007 Jeep Wrangler on I-77 in charleston wv at 65mph. Started rounding a left hand curve in the road when I hit some minor bumps in the road. The vehicle started bouncing and shaking violently nearly causing me to lose control of the vehicle. I was able to slow and pull off to the side of the road. The shake went away at about 15-20 mph. I thought for sure a wheel was coming off. I slowed my speed but this still happened three more times before I could get it to royal Jeep in charleston where I had to leave it and rent a car for the night. After describing the incident to the service advisor stated it sound like a bad steering damper shock and stated that he has dealt with this problem before. I picked up the vehicle the next day to a tune of $205 plus the rental car($64) and drove back to cleveland oh without another incident. Mark by word, someone will die someday if this problem is not corrected quickly.

- North Royalton, OH, USA

Jan 192013

Wrangler 6-cyl

I was driving on the freeway in excess of 70mph when I hit a very minor imperfection in the road. The vehicle immediately began to shake/hop and steering become uncontrollable I nearly caused a major pile up on I-35. This has happened numerous times and I've owned the car very little time. Luckily I gained control before a catastrophic event happened. This is 100% a Jeep design flaw it is referred to as "death wobble" and no if ands or buts; they need to be held accountable. All we as buyers ask is to be put in a safe and functional vehicle. My child has to ride in this car. There are literally thousands of reports of the same problem all over the nation. It is not ok for this to go on any longer. Something has to be done lives are at stake. Is that not important anymore? please watch the youtube videos so you can view what the wheels and car actually do and you will understand exactly how serious this is.

- Eldora, IA, USA

Feb 032011

Wrangler 6-cyl

This has to do with the death wobble that is highly been broadcasted via internet. I have a mint, completely stock Jeep Wrangler X unlimited. First year of the 4 door. It has not been modified at all. As said it is mint condition. I made the mistake of not driving it much, especially on highway first several years I had it. I drove a older car as my everyday vehicle. The Jeep was and is my toy. I had to start driving it more in 2011, that's when the problem was clear. Whenever I am driving at over 50-55 mph, and I hit a bump or groove in road it randomly goes into this violent shake. The same shake described and seen on the internet. I finally did take it to a Jeep dealer, not expecting much. Due to the fact that my warranty was expired. But due to the fact of the very low mileage and showroom appearance of car, I was able to convince them to address problem at no charge to me, so for. I say so for, due to the fact that the dealer has replaced numerous parts underneath, but problem still there. Now I am waiting for decision from higher ups at Jeep to decide what to do with me. I feel that there is some engineering problems overlooked when designed and built. They(Jeep) know they have a major problem.I am very surprised that there has not been a death involved with this. It is serious. My wife refuses to drive in my Jeep. She calls it christines little sister carla. I am stuck. I cannot trade vehicle in, for I would be worried that the next owner/driver would not be as lucky as I have been, and not been in a accident.

- Granite City, IL, USA

Dec 272012

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Front end shakes violently, feels like a flat tire or a loose wheel. Stopped & checked tires, found nothing wrong. Got back in vehicle and drove. This has happen at least 2 other times. I believe it is called a death wobble. Was pretty scary.

- Mohnton, PA, USA

Dec 012012

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Uncontrollable wobble in front end on highway causing vehicle to be unsafe (referred to as the death wobble)

- Belmont, MA, USA

Nov 172012

Wrangler 6-cyl

Experienced Jeep Wrangler's death wobble...my vehicle shook so bad I almost lost control of the Wrangler's I had to apply my brakes at speeds of 55 mph est. While on interstate 80 in New Jersey almost causing a multiply vehicles crash. Just left dealership and they were unable to verify my concerns.

- Allentown, PA, USA

Feb 242010

Wrangler 6-cyl

My Jeep has the death wobble, has now for years. As advised ihave replaced tires and had an allignment, fixed it for a while, now its back, replaced tires and allignment also balanced and now replacing the steering damper. There are complaints about this all over the internet. Every mechanic I called had heard of it or experienced it. There have been news pieces done about it and now Chrysler has issued a technical bulletin blaming it on everyone else but their poor design. They should E held accountable. I have not lifted my Jeep and nothing besides tires and now this steering damper has been replaced - so all stock. They need to be forced to get to the root of this and reimburse people for the repairs and labor time it takes to try to figure out how to fix this. It may not in and of itself be a safety issue but the only way to stop it once it starts is to stop completely and that is extremely dangerous at 65 miles an hour on the highway. Besides the fact that it has to cause damage to the other parts of the car because of the violent shaking and that could be dangerous in and of itself depending on what is damaged. It is ridiculous that Chrysler has not been held accountable for this yet by someone with the authority to force them to fix it.

- Cumming, GA, USA

Oct 282012

Wrangler 6-cyl

While driving at approx 40 mph, Jeep struck a small (very shallow) pothole. Front end of Jeep began to shake violently. This has happened on two other occassions in the last month, all between 40 and 50 mph. Each time the Jeep hit a bump in the road. Jeep is stock, no lifts, no off road use, original factory tires: Goodyear Wrangler P255/75R17, properly inlfated to factory specs, low mileage 27394. The wobble doesn't stop until the vehicle is slowed drastically, steering is difficult while the wobble is occuring. Is this a recall item" manufacture reimbursement" any information regarding this issue would be appreciated.

- Rockford, IL, USA

Oct 012012

Wrangler 6-cyl

I have been experiencing the "death wobble" on my 2007 Jeep Wrangler sahara for the past year now. When it first started I replaced the tires and it appeared to correct the problem for 8-9 months. Then the problem re-appeared so I had the tires rotated. Corrected the problem for approximately 5000 miles. Just this morning while driving into work my Jeep started to shake violently starting at 50 mph. In the past, my Jeep will experience the death wobble between 50-60 mph. I need to slow down to around 20 mph for the wobble to stop. This is not safe! especially driving in rush hour and I need to constantly slow down to speeds below the minimum speed limit requirement in my state. All parts on my Jeep are stock / straight from the assembly line (except for the new tires, air filter, oil, and wiper blades). I can be the only driver to this vehicle as other drivers in my family refuse to drive because of the death wobble. I haven't brought it into a Jeep dealer yet (although after reading threads on the internet it appears Jeep denies it to be an issue). This is not safe and this is my primary vehicle. It is happening to many Jeep owners and if Jeep wants to keep its business they should start addressing the issue...

- Wyoming, MN, USA

Sep 062012

Wrangler 6-cyl

At highway speed my steering wheel and front end began to shake violently. This occurred when hitting a small joint in the pavement. The only way to stop the shaking was to slow down from 60 to approximately 30 miles per hour on the interstate.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Jul 112012

Wrangler 4WD 6-cyl

Was driving down the road about 45 mph, hit a bump and the vehicle began to shake so violently that I was convinced a wheel was about to fall off. I immediately stopped on the side of the road to inspect the vehicle but could find nothing wrong. In researching the problem online I found out that is a common occurrence known as a "death wobble." I was lucky in that I was driving on a rarely traveled back road when the incident occurred, had this happened on a major highway I could see this as a very dangerous situation.

- Salisbury, MD, USA

Nov 062010

Wrangler 6-cyl

Death wobble - I can drive the Jeep down the highway and once it hits above 45 miles an hour it will start to shake extensively. I have to start putting on the break immediately to stop the Jeep from shaking and regain control of the vehicle. With the speed limits on the highways 60 - 75 miles an hour the vehicle problem makes it impossible for me to take many highways. This Jeep is my only means of transportation to and from work and transporting my children. I have avoided over 5 near miss accidents because of this problem with my children in the vehicle. It has almost cost me my job because of having to avoid traveling in the Jeep.

- Talala, OK, USA

Jun 092012

Wrangler 6-cyl

As I was driving through the entrance to the baltimore harbor tunnel, I hit a bump and the steering wheel began to shake violently on my Jeep Wrangler. In addition, the front end of the vehicle vibrated and shook violently. I had no place to stop, a bus was behind me, and I had trouble keeping my Jeep in one lane. Since there was no place to pull over, I slowed down and when I reached a speed between 15 to 20 miles per hour, the shaking stopped and I was able to continue on. During my trip that day, I had three more episodes of violent shaking as I hit bumps in the road when I was traveling between 50 and 60 miles per hour. I had recently read an article about this problem and this issue appears to be a common problem for Jeep Wrangler, although I had never experienced the problem before. My Jeep is a 2007 4-door Wrangler which only has 10,400 miles on it because I usually keep it garaged at a beach home in Delaware and I use it only during summer weekends. The Jeep is a stock model with no after market modifications. I had driven it home to Maryland to have a dealer checkup before I returned the Jeep to the beach. The problem happened on my third trip after the dealer service but it was my first trip driving on a highway. My daughter was in the car with me and she and I were extremely disturbed and consider this issue a major safety issue. Since my research indicates this is a widespread problem, I feel strongly the ntsb should take the appropriate action to have Chrysler address this issue before there is a fatality. I am extremely thankful that the bus behind me in the baltimore harbor tunnel had good brakes.

- Arnold, MD, USA

May 282012

Wrangler

While driving down the road at about 40-45mph my right front tire hit a bump. When that happened the entire front end began to vibrate violently. The only thing that cured the issue was to brake the vehicle. Once it got down to about 15mph it finally stopped and I was able to continue. This has been an ongoing issue with this Jeep. This has happened before and the dealership replaced tie rods and a steering dampener but it's never gone away completely.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Feb 012012

Wrangler

I own a 2007 Jeep Wrangler that has a violently shimmy or a so called "death wobble". it has nearly caused me to go off the road on several occasions. After some research, I've come to find out this a common problem among Jeep owners which the Chrysler co. Refuses to acknowledge. It's been to the dealership twice and the problem still isn't fixed. To my dismay, the have no problem charging me for their ineffective attempts. My model Jeep, as well as others, needs to be recalled and my money refunded.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Feb 172012

Wrangler

The contact owns a 2007 Jeep Wrangler. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the front end of the vehicle started to shake violently. The contact then pulled over and started to reverse when the shaking stopped. The vehicle was taken to a body shop where it was diagnose that the control bar and the steering were faulty. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The vehicle was not further repaired. The failure mileage was 99,900 and the current mileage was 100,034.

- Harper Woods , MI, USA